Who's Applying to Endo this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlux

History in the making...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All my applications are in for this application cycle. Who else is applying to Endo?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to endo too--how many schools did everyone apply to? I went with 15 schools, hopefully that will be enough

I'm applying to 40 programs. The first couple of waves are complete, but I've still got a lot of apps to finish.

I'm sure 40 programs sounds a little over the top, but I eliminated any schools I wasn't interested in and those who explicitly told me not to apply without post-grad experience. Everywhere else I would at least like to visit (interview) to get a better idea of what the programs are like.

Best of luck to all applicants this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
wow so only 10 endo programs don't require post-grad experience?

I appliied to 18. I wonder when they will start to offer interviews?

wow so only 10 endo programs don't require post-grad experience?
No. It's more like 12 programs that expressly require post-grad experience or active duty military.

From my experience, there are a few programs that explicitly require post-grad experience although nearly all of them say that it is highly encouraged but not necessary. That's part of the reason why I applied to so many. A lot of information online is so dated that in most cases, you don't really know if they'll give you a look or not until all the interviews are extended.

I appliied to 18. I wonder when they will start to offer interviews?
I expect that to hear (if interview) from most programs within a month of their deadline. Since endo is non-match, they would love to interview all the best applicants early and try get acceptances prior to others from other schools. I talked to a couple of residents who only had 6 hours to accept or decline an acceptance. The problem comes if you are accepted early at a school that would be less than your first choice. Do you decline and hope for the best at your number 1 choice? That's not a situation I'm looking forward to.

I hear you on the acceptance deal, that could get dicey. I've heard of 24-48 hours, but never six! That's enough pressure to make Jack Bauer wince. When you say within a month of their deadline, do you mean a month before or after? I always thought programs started interviewing their strongest candidates before their deadline.

From what I've heard talking to current endo residents, many of the programs invite all the interviewees on the same day, or within a couple days of eachother, so they can compare them directly and then offer acceptances within a couple of days. If that's the case, it would be hard to start interviewing a month before the deadline. That may not be correct all schools, but it seemed to be the experience of the residents I talked to for the schools they interviewed at. My first deadline app deadline is Aug 1st at Minnesota, so we'll wait and see what happens

From what I've heard talking to current endo residents, many of the programs invite all the interviewees on the same day, or within a couple days of eachother, so they can compare them directly and then offer acceptances within a couple of days. If that's the case, it would be hard to start interviewing a month before the deadline. That may not be correct all schools, but it seemed to be the experience of the residents I talked to for the schools they interviewed at. My first deadline app deadline is Aug 1st at Minnesota, so we'll wait and see what happens
I'd like to make the Minnesota deadline, but I've got one letter of recommendation that still hasn't been sent out and I'm starting to think it won't make it to Moos Tower before the 1st. I wish there was a really tactful way to say...Please send the letter today or else it won't get there in time!

I hear you on the acceptance deal, that could get dicey. I've heard of 24-48 hours, but never six! That's enough pressure to make Jack Bauer wince. When you say within a month of their deadline, do you mean a month before or after? I always thought programs started interviewing their strongest candidates before their deadline.
I know they encourage early applications, but I haven't ever heard of interviews before the application deadline.

I had all of my recs in by July 11, except one for PASS. The e-form kept getting blocked by aol mail, so I had to use paper. I just kept emailing and keeping that person "up to date" on what I was doing every few days. I guess they got sick of hearing from me, so the rec arrived a couple of weeks later. It stinks when they don't arrive on time, but I've got my fingers crossed for you.

It's been a few years since I graduated, so maybe my memory is fading. I swear I remember classmates receiving early interviews. Maybe it was Perio(since it is early too), or maybe the offer was extended, but the interview itself was conducted after the deadline. Who knows.

I wish there was a really tactful way to say...Please send the letter today or else it won't get there in time!

Screw tact. If you want it bad enough, you'll harass them until they send it, or find someone else to write it. It's YOUR education--don't let an instructor put a damper on the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a couple of pms from another applicant, so that makes four so far:

Dlux
Endoking
ElDienteLoco
Anonymous

There must be more folks out there...

I just kept emailing and keeping that person "up to date" on what I was doing every few days. I guess they got sick of hearing from me, so the rec arrived a couple of weeks later.

Well done! :thumbup:

For you endo applicants, most of you are applying right from school, right? (I assume, since you're seeing which programs require experience and which don't.) What sorts of activities/committees/extra stuff did you do during school, and may I ask your general grades?

Also, do describe your reasons for pursuing endo. Aren't I annoying?

There are some right out, I graduated 8 years ago. Did a GPR, worked as an associate for a few years, owned my own office for four more, and am under contract to sell it now. Grades were P/F at my school. I was always active in volunteer projects, student government, and I worked as a tutor in the med school. My motivation for endo in a nutshell is that it is the most interesting thing I do on a daily basis. I wish I could do more of it, and learn to think my way through the difficult cases. I could give it to you in the eloquent form of my personal statement, but who wants to read that. Deciding what you want to do in dentistry comes easy for some. It took me 6 years, a bunch of CE and experience, and the encouragement of my wife to apply to go back.

For you endo applicants, most of you are applying right from school, right? (I assume, since you're seeing which programs require experience and which don't.) What sorts of activities/committees/extra stuff did you do during school, and may I ask your general grades?

I'm applying straight out of school, but I'm only cautiously optimistic and planning on applying again next year if I don't get in. I volunteered for a committee and have done some mentoring within the endo department as well as various volunteer/community dentistry type things, but mostly I've just gotten to know the endo faculty and done as many canals as I could as a D-3 (45 canals and 2 apicoectomies). I was involved in some research, but no publications. I also did an externship at San Antonio's program this last spring. As far as general grades, I have a 3.8, 3/83 rank and pretty good Part I boards, but nothing outstanding. We'll see what happens.

...but I'm only cautiously optimistic...

Anyone who isn't cautious heading into this process is fooling themselves. While there are some who may have super strong backgrounds, I don't think anyone is guaranteed a spot. This is a competitive endeavor, period.

That's the truth, although I've had people tell me that the number of endo applicants is on the decline because of implant advancements, making it less competitive, but I don't buy it. There may be a few less applicants, but it is still crowded at the top.

which school is that lets you guys do apicoectomies. In my school the residents fight among each other to graduate with even 3-4 apicos. May i ask where you go to school?

I'm applying straight out of school, but I'm only cautiously optimistic and planning on applying again next year if I don't get in. I volunteered for a committee and have done some mentoring within the endo department as well as various volunteer/community dentistry type things, but mostly I've just gotten to know the endo faculty and done as many canals as I could as a D-3 (45 canals and 2 apicoectomies). I was involved in some research, but no publications. I also did an externship at San Antonio's program this last spring. As far as general grades, I have a 3.8, 3/83 rank and pretty good Part I boards, but nothing outstanding. We'll see what happens.

There are some right out, I graduated 8 years ago. Did a GPR, worked as an associate for a few years, owned my own office for four more, and am under contract to sell it now. Grades were P/F at my school. I was always active in volunteer projects, student government, and I worked as a tutor in the med school. My motivation for endo in a nutshell is that it is the most interesting thing I do on a daily basis. I wish I could do more of it, and learn to think my way through the difficult cases. I could give it to you in the eloquent form of my personal statement, but who wants to read that. Deciding what you want to do in dentistry comes easy for some. It took me 6 years, a bunch of CE and experience, and the encouragement of my wife to apply to go back.

I'm also applying this year, out with 1yr of experience, some teaching, research. I've been impressed with the apps this year, everyone is fantastic. It sounds like all of you had all your stuff in well before deadline, I hope there are some out there like me that are planning on just making the deadline for most of these schools! I just submitted my PASS this morning with everything finally in. I'm applying to 20 total , we'll see, good luck all!

Quick question:
Is it completely unprofessional to tell a school that makes you sweat it out with a decision yes first and then if you do hear from your 1st choice back out of it. My feeling is they are really sticking it to you to force an early decision, it can't be that unjust to return the favor. Does this ever happen?

which school is that lets you guys do apicoectomies. In my school the residents fight among each other to graduate with even 3-4 apicos. May i ask where you go to school?

Creighton University--we have no specialty programs here, so there are a few to go around--but nothing very difficult, only maxillary anteriors. They bring residents from the Nebraska-Lincoln program over every other week to do the difficult ones.

I also agree that "cautiously optimistic" fits the bill for endo apps directly from dental school.

3.9, 1/53, 95, Student Government President, Some research, presented my research at ADEA annual session (published). 32 teeth in D-3 year (about 20 molars). 0 apicos (Way to go Endoking!).

Reason for pursuing endo: I just love root canals. I love the procedures, I love the pace of an endo office, I love getting people out of pain and I love the fact that my scheduled patients will usually show for their appts. (The clinic I'm externing in right now has a 40-60% no-show rate). It might sound lame, but I really love root canals (what a dork...).

It sounds like all of you had all your stuff in well before deadline, I hope there are some out there like me that are planning on just making the deadline for most of these schools!

I've only finished my apps to about 12 schools, but I'm in the process for 40. In other words, I'll be just making the deadline like you for a lot of programs. Best of luck.

I'm really glad to see so many endo folks on SDN now. There has always seemed to be a shortage compared to other specialties. I hope to see you all at some interviews this Fall.

I also did an externship at San Antonio's program this last spring.

I did an externship there in March as well. Wasn't that a great experience? Did you see that Taylor and Dave's poster presentation won first place at the AAE meeting and that Kitchen's research won 1st as well? I thought that was pretty sweet. Good program.

I did an externship there in March as well. Wasn't that a great experience? Did you see that Taylor and Dave's poster presentation won first place at the AAE meeting and that Kitchen's research won 1st as well? I thought that was pretty sweet. Good program.

Yeah, I was there the week after the AAE meeting, so they were just getting back and everyone was pretty excited about it--they showed us some of their presentations--it was pretty cool. The residents there say they love the program. In contrast, I've heard from the current residents at Temple and they say avoid it at all costs (this was after I'd already sent in my application, unfortunately,) but I guess its worth a visit to check it out for myself if I get an interview--better to see for yourself than take someone's word for it.

Quick question:
Is it completely unprofessional to tell a school that makes you sweat it out with a decision yes first and then if you do hear from your 1st choice back out of it. My feeling is they are really sticking it to you to force an early decision, it can't be that unjust to return the favor. Does this ever happen?

I spoke to one of the deans at my school about this. He was insistent that accepting a position and paying a deposit was contractual. When he spelled out the options available to a program to take action against someone who reneged on their contract, it wasn't pretty. That notwithstanding, I think it is bad form. I don't think they are sticking it to you. There are good programs that interview early, and programs seen as less desirable who do as well. You have to make a choice, and I think you need to stick with it. If they give you a time window and you've already interviewed somewhere else that you want more, than call the other school and let them know, to force their hand. But you know what they say about a bird in the hand.

I spoke to one of the deans at my school about this. He was insistent that accepting a position and paying a deposit was contractual. When he spelled out the options available to a program to take action against someone who reneged on their contract, it wasn't pretty. That notwithstanding, I think it is bad form. I don't think they are sticking it to you. There are good programs that interview early, and programs seen as less desirable who do as well. You have to make a choice, and I think you need to stick with it. If they give you a time window and you've already interviewed somewhere else that you want more, than call the other school and let them know, to force their hand. But you know what they say about a bird in the hand.

I agree, and here's another reason if you need it--the endo chair at my school told me not to bother applying to a certain program because they had accepted a grad from my d-school several years before and he accepted and then flip-flopped when he got a better offer somewhere else, now that program won't even look at applications from my d-school. The way I look at it--I only applied to schools that I am prepared to attend, so if I get pinned up against a deadline by one of my bottom choices, I will definitely take it.

...I only applied to schools that I am prepared to attend...

Smart thinking, I did the exact same thing. All I need is one offer...:)

...I only applied to schools that I am prepared to attend...

I also think this is a good idea, but I feel like my information about many of the programs is very limited. There are some schools that I completely ruled out because I don't want to pay $60k a year for a 3 year program, but I applied to just about everywhere else because I really would like to see their programs first hand. One great thing that my externship at San Antonio gave me is some insight to a good program so I will be able to recognize a poor program at the interview. After seeing how a great program runs, I now feel like I could say no to a bad program if I was put in that position. Prior to my externship, I probably would have said yes no matter what because I want to do endo so badly. Either way, I wouldn't reverse an acceptance because I feel that is really poor form. The endo community is really small and such an action could have a lot of negative consequences like the previous posters have stated.

I've heard that Temple is a school you should stay faar away from.

~chubster

Dlux
Endoking
ElDienteLoco
Anonymous
EllsworthPeck
Toothfairy227

As this number increases, we are almost guaranteed to share some interviews. I look forward to meeting some or all of you.

Have any of you guys followed up with your application and found out that they are missing letters or other documents that you know were sent, or is it just me. Most of my applications were complete when I checked, but one program only received one out of three letters of rec that I mailed at the same time with my own hand--pretty strange. At least I found out before the deadline, right?

Have any of you guys followed up with your application and found out that they are missing letters or other documents that you know were sent, or is it just me. Most of my applications were complete when I checked, but one program only received one out of three letters of rec that I mailed at the same time with my own hand--pretty strange. At least I found out before the deadline, right?

I've been going through the exact same thing. Just another reason you want to beat the deadlines with plenty of room to spare. Some schools are super organized. Others, well, let's just say they're not!

Dlux
Endoking
ElDienteLoco
Anonymous
EllsworthPeck
Toothfairy227

As this number increases, we are almost guaranteed to share some interviews. I look forward to meeting some or all of you.

Everyone acknowledges that they are applying & you all speak of your stats, yet you won't disclose the programs in which you applied too?

As the interview process begins, we'll get a feel for where everyone has apps pending.

As an aside, I heard that Nebraska is interviewing on 9/14/07, although they have not offered interviews at this time.

As the interview process begins, we'll get a feel for where everyone has apps pending.

As an aside, I heard that Nebraska is interviewing on 9/14/07, although they have not offered interviews at this time.
It seems funny that they would be having their interview date 2 weeks prior to their deadline (Oct 1). I better finish getting all of my apps in!

May I ask how you unearthed this information?

May I ask how you unearthed this information?

When I called to make sure my supplemental application was complete the admissions person I spoke to let me know that they had set a date.

Are you applying DaveDavis?

Holy Cow!

I must have gotten the wrong deadlines from the Postdoctoral guides or somewhere...

Thanks for the heads up dlux.

No problem.

One of the glaring truths of this process is how unorganized it is from PASS to certain schools/programs. Many programs have one deadline for the PASS, one for the Program, and several listed in different publications and/or websites. Just gathering the right information is a heckuva challenge. Everytime I found multiple deadlines, I tried to get everything in before the earliest one. And once you think it's all in, you better call to check...what a mess!

I looked on san antonio's endo web page and couldn't find any info on the externship. Could you let me know where I could get some info on that? thanks

Dlux
Endoking
ElDienteLoco
Anonymous
EllsworthPeck
Toothfairy227
2thmaker

I know there are more lurking. Come on out and join us!

i see there are more of you guys on this thread. The dental residency has been dominated by OMFS. I figured there were some of us hiding in the shadows. Right know we'll play the waiting game for interviews. PS Anybody applying out west?

Anybody applying out west?

I am applying to VA Long Beach and UCLA.

All applications are now received and complete! Let the waiting begin...

Hey guys, I got my first interview invite to Penn.:D