Who makes more Interventional or Electrophysiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chanx314

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, I was wondering which is considered a more lucrative sub-sub speciality of cardiology, interventional or electrophysiology?

Members don't see this ad.

Hands down Interventional makes more...although that is not to say electrophysiologists are hurting

it depends on the makeup of the group and the profit sharing. in general though, i would disagree and say the revenue generated by the electrophysiologist is typically at least close to if not more than the highest interventionalists in a group. of course you may have 5 interventionalists in the one group for every ep, but if you are asking about take home pay than the electrophysiologist will probably bring home more than the average of the interventionalists.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are talking about only group structure, I would have to agree with you, however, a great many doctors are not in groups, and I'd have to say that in solo or 2 person physician practices, interventional makes more. They rely less on referrals since interventionalists tend to have a great internal medicine patient population, while EP tend to specialize more. Obviously there are exceptions, and exceptions to the exception, however, from what I've seen, I've found this to be the case.

What is the range someone can reasonably expect to make in both fields? What about after you have established yourself?