Who legally can prescribe corrective lenses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jvelos3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Quick question. I read somewhere that only eye car providers can prescribe corrective lenses. Can a physician who is not an ophthalmologist prescribe corrective lenses?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Quick question. I read somewhere that only eye car providers can prescribe corrective lenses. Can a physician who is not an ophthalmologist prescribe corrective lenses?

Thanks

Legally, I believe any licensed physician or optometrist. In fact, I wonder whether a dentist or other professional might legally also be able to prescribe as well. Glasses and contact lenses are appliances and generally are not as tightly regulated as prescription medications are. There is no such thing as an "ophthalmology" license. Probably the greatest limitation would be whether your malpractice carrier would consider prescribing within the usual scope of practice.

I understand that in Canada, there are FPs who regularly refract and prescribe.

I believe only optometrists and ophthalmologist can prescribe. Reading the optometry scope of practice law in California, it writes ophthalmologists specifically who can prescribe lenses and contacts in addition to ophthalmologists.

http://www.optometry.ca.gov/

Members don't see this ad :)
Legally, in the US, optometrists and any medical doctor (MD/DO) can refract and write a spectacle or contact lens prescription. You do not have to be an ophthalmologist to write one or refract a patient.

Legally, in the US, optometrists and any medical doctor (MD/DO) can refract and write a spectacle or contact lens prescription. You do not have to be an ophthalmologist to write one or refract a patient.

Wrong! I know of a INternal Medicine doc who was put on probation in NY for doing just that, prescribing glasses.

By law, only ODs and ophthalmologists can prescribe glasses or contacts. Anyone else might get away with it but when problems arise is when they would most likely get in trouble.

Wrong! I know of a INternal Medicine doc who was put on probation in NY for doing just that, prescribing glasses.

By law, only ODs and ophthalmologists can prescribe glasses or contacts. Anyone else might get away with it but when problems arise is when they would most likely get in trouble.

That seems unlikely that there is a specific law precluding that.

Can you provide a link to a specific statute or regulation issued that says that only optometrists or ophthalmologists can prescribe glasses?

I can see how a board may sanction someone who is not trained to do something and yet they do it anyways but that seems to be more a regulatory issue than one of legality vs illegality.

That seems unlikely that there is a specific law precluding that.

Can you provide a link to a specific statute or regulation issued that says that only optometrists or ophthalmologists can prescribe glasses?

I can see how a board may sanction someone who is not trained to do something and yet they do it anyways but that seems to be more a regulatory issue than one of legality vs illegality.

If you read the H.R. 3140 Sec 11(To provide for availability of contact lens prescriptions to patients, and for other purposes), it gives the definition of a Prescriber as:

an ophthalmologist, optometrist, or other person permitted under State law to issue prescriptions for contact lenses in compliance with any applicable requirements established by the Food and Drug Administration.

An internist, although a medical doctor, does not qualify as "other persons." And as stated before, I personally know of a medical doctor who was suspended and fined for prescribing EGs and CLs. :(

How about an MD prescribing for oneself? Or for wife?

well tell them to just buy their contacts online at vision direct, they dont even require rx at all

Status
Not open for further replies.