Therapeutic (bandage) contact lenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boanssi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I need a good source to learn about therapeutic or bandage contact lenses. I've looked for review articles on Pubmed, the AAO books and a few contactology textbooks but the information is very scarce.

I appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I need a good source to learn about therapeutic or bandage contact lenses. I've looked for review articles on Pubmed, the AAO books and a few contactology textbooks but the information is very scarce.

I appreciate any input.

There isn't much to know. For some epithelial defects (or other sources of non-smooth corneal surface), you stick on a bandage contact lens to let it heal better/faster. It also relieves some pain for the patient. Clinicians typically use a high oxygen-transmissable contact lens (e.g. Night & Day).

I agree that detailed info can be hard to come by.

There was a good AAO Focal Points on this topic in 2017, if you have access.

The Manual of Ocular Diagnosis and Therapy has a surprisingly good section on this. It's not terribly expensive on Amazon.

I think that there may be a decent discussion on this in the BCSC Refractive book too, if I remember correctly.