Who is taking the DAT in Aug 2009?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emmie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
.Aug

joonkimdds, mermaid66: Aug 1 ..
runstorm, teeth247: Aug 3
. ckmonster, Shinpe, Lilliana, Omenino:.. Aug 5.
. BTtheman, drpj, Murl: Aug 7
futuredentista, Superpink: Aug 8
r8dds, aphorth88: Aug 10.
.Sublimation: Aug 11.
. MBradle, Sugafoot79..: Aug 12
saDDS, ongoingdat, jsk11: Aug 13
stiney44: Aug 17.
.navneetdh: Aug 18.
. dentene ice, Emmie: Aug 19
..Prsndwg, panda, coffinhaed: Aug 20
drpoppapump: Aug 21.
. predental1187: Aug 24
mashimlro: Aug 26.
. Philippines03j, SilverTornado..: Aug 27
jRock310, rdh2dds26: Aug 28
Dental Mom, jedaerrow: Aug 31

tmac001
chrono

total: 39

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
joonkimdds: Aug1
Emmie: AUg 15
Philippines03j: Aug 27

When's yours Sublimation?

yup, will do that soon

joonkimdds: Aug1
BTtheman: Aug 7
Emmie: Aug 15
panda: Aug 30
tmac001
navneetdh
murl
sublimation

9 people so far...

yup i already submitted my apps. Do not wait on them. Addsas takes about 4-8 weeks after u hit submit online. So if you are waiting for DAt, then dont because if you submit them now they wont be getting to schools anytime before august.

I submitted mine 1st week of june and I haven't heard back any confirmation from school. Which is weird? any here who submitted in june and hasn't heard back? Gosh I hate that AAdsas takes forever.

I applied last year. Did terrible on DAt and submitted my app late. Total blunder as you can tell coz i am applying again this year. AADSAS lost my LOR, took forever to verify transcripts and the schools asks for tons of more information from you when they receive your apps.

So yeah, all in all, hurry and turn it in.

:)

Friday August 28 or Monday 31.....need to have 1 week off before stating my masters :) I'm calling next week to pick which day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I take the DAT on August 7th.

Also, I submitted my application the 2nd week of June and have not heard from any schools yet either. But AADSAS did calculate my GPA's already.

I'm taking it in August too. When did you guys start studying and how much have u covered?

yeah AADSAS did calculate my gpa. My studying OMG......i feel i know a little of everything but not all of everything.
Last year I took the DAT feeling like this plus did DAT destroyer and some topscore exams, and didnt do well. So yeah I need to study a lot I know.

I have gone over my bio, chem, o-chem completely. I have gone over bio second time today. And gonna finish o-chem second time today besically memorizing all reactions and agents. G-chem and math i honestly dont have much idea what to do. I will just memorize whole bunch of equations withing next 2 days.

I hope to start doing practice exams, beginning with DAT destroyer questions on July 1st and i hope I have enough time to go over alllll the possible exams.

PAT i am just gonna do practice exams because i realized from previous experience there isnt much you can do until you actually time yourself while doing those annoying questions.

SO yeah. How does my schedule sound. I am still wondering how many other exams i should do after DAT destroyer and if i should do crack that pAT.

Also some people i know said they did SAT exams for math for extra practice. Hmmmmm feels like sooo much to do.

OH yeah I will start with Bio on DAT destroyer. Hopefully Jul day after tomorrow --july 1st. ANyone on same track?

I have read the Kaplan book for the science sections, I have been practicing the QR section also [I have not practiced Reading or PAT at all]. I feel like I know some stuff but not all. I am starting Destroyer on July 1st and plan on doing that along with TopScore for a whole month. Basically just practice taking exams for a month straight.

OH yeah I will start with Bio on DAT destroyer. Hopefully Jul day after tomorrow --july 1st. ANyone on same track?

I just finished BIO destroyer today. I will start chem and ochem from tomorrow. ask me if u got any questions.

are any of you guys using cliffs ap bio?? and if so then are doing the questions after each chapter in that book and/or the model test at back???

.joonkimdds: Aug 1
BTtheman, drpj: Aug 7
r8dds: Aug 10
Sublimation: Aug 13
Prsndwg: Aug 20

tmac001
navneetdh
murl
chrono

total: 15

Last edited:
Now that you guys have "the day" booked, are you feeling more motivated? More stressed out? I'm calling today...just need to decide if I want to take it Friday and celebrate on the weekend, or take it Monday and have the kids go to grandma's for the weekend so that maybe the day before (Sunday) I can take a bubble bath! :D

Is someone driving you to the test? I have few friends that say that they did have a parent or friend drive them to the testing center.....I went through labor 2 times w/out meds, why am I so nervous about the DAT? :laugh:

I'm taking the DAT Aug 3rd...

So far I've done Destroyer O. Chem and Chem sections but I still fill like I need to really memorize the formula's and I need to go over the mechanisms for the reactions for O. Chem...

I have AP Cliff's and I have heard that doing the questions at the end will help a lot so that's what I plan on doing.. Also I heard it's good to learn the concepts instead of just memorizing..

.How many times do you guys go over the destroyer bio section before the DAT?
So far I've done the destroyer bio once and felt like none of the memorization retain over night.
I'm starting to read AP Bio (very dense) and how many days does it usually take to finish it?

joonkimdds, mermaid66: Aug 1
runstorm: Aug 3
BTtheman, drpj: Aug 7
Sublimation, saDDS: Aug 13

tmac001
navneetdh
murl
chrono

total: 18.

Last edited:
you are absolutely right about the destroyer not being retained after just one time going over. So you have to do it a second time.

The AP biology is pretty dense and can take upto 4 days if you have not reviewed bio yet. But if you have then it should be easier to go over and take about one full day...12 hours of studying.

I am doing the destroyer now but i had to stop because i realized how little i know about immunology, fetal respiration and circulation, and plant cell differentiation.

So i am back with Ap bio and kaplan gre bio to review these topics. I hope i finish rest of bio destroyer today.
How long did you guys take going over bio destroyer first time???

August 12th for me and they it's off to Hawaii for a little Rest and Digest (parasympathetic system) haha! I know what a nerd. Whatever helps with the memorization, right?LOL!:D

G'luck ya'll!!!

August 12th for me and they it's off to Hawaii for a little Rest and Digest (parasympathetic system) haha! I know what a nerd. Whatever helps with the memorization, right?LOL!:D

G'luck ya'll!!!
Why the hell you want to tell us that you're heading to Hawaii? You want the entire SDN population to get jealous? LOL :)

I am currently scheduled for July 21st but I think I'm going to have it pushed back until early August so I can get some more studying done because I want to do it right the first time.

Also, I've had distractions this summer with a grandparent and a dog passing away so I haven't been able to or felt like studying for parts of the summer.

Me , I just postponed my exam Aug. 13th.
I figured I need more time... errr

DO you know when is the first cycle ends?!

.joonkimdds, mermaid66: Aug 1
ckmonster: Aug 5
BTtheman, drpj, Murl: Aug 7
Sublimation, saDDS, ongoingdat: Aug 13

tmac001
navneetdh
chrono

total: 20

not sure what you mean by first cycle?

Well, I just heard from somewhere that there are 3 cycles in dental application cycle. So, like a rolling process? In order to hear something on 12/1, I heard that you need to be considered as "first cycle" applicant...?? Not sure :oops:

i believe Aug 13 is fine. I'm taking it on the 15th and my state school said ok.

Ok so as i have mentioned before, i took DAT last year but had terrible scores, semi late application submissions and hence no admission.

i promised myself to not leave any stone unturned this time and submitted my application early (6/8---but addsas will mail it in another week)

I decided to put up my DAT scores for some constructive criticism and specific advice, if anyone can provide, so that i am able to work on my trouble areas more. I know you will say after looking at my scores that what you need to work on is .....EVERYTHING..duh! lol . I know that and i am on my way but if anyone sees specifics i will try to work harder on those areas specially in these last few weeks before my 2nd DAT.

ok here are the scores: (p.s i took it on sept 30th 2009....late i know)

AA: 17

PAT: 19
QR: 15
RC: 17 (i had ethics :( )
Biology: 17
Gchem : 16
O-chem 20
TS: 17

how i studied last time was

took kaplan course
kaplan bb and white book
some cdp
topscore and achiever but i didnt do more than 3 test completely together with time. I broke them down and took one section at a time and probably only did 2-3 full tests at a time. Which was a terrible mistake because my timing was terrible on the DAT.

i also used brown for chem and wiki for some bio topics and some random online sources or text books for misc topics.

had no idea about using study guides like cliffs princeton etc etc.

studied about 5hrs avg a day for almost 3 months.

My gpa is 3.3 and science is 2.9 from ucla, which doesn't make a huge diff i guess.

also i have good volunteer and experience in dentistry----->almost 3 years.
some extra curriculars.

Oh another thing i am double minded about is that i have been accept into a masters program. It will begin this fall and will end in 2011 spring. I applied to this program because my previous plan was to do masters and apply in 2010 again for dental schools just in time for 2011. But i felt it would be too late, i wont have much time to study and devote to applications once my masters starts because it is a busy program and i will be working too.
I did not mention on my applications about being in any masters program because if i get into dental school i will have to quit the masters next yr. Dental school is definitely my priority and only thing i would like to do. Masters was a means to an end kind of a thing. Plus if i don't accept the masters and don't get into dental school this yr too then i don't want to waste a full yr. Atleast with masters i will have something more up my sleeve to apply again next yr, but I hope things work out this year.

ALL you advice criticism is welcome. :D and thank for your time.

Last edited:
.Aug

joonkimdds, mermaid66: Aug 1
ckmonster: Aug 5
BTtheman, drpj, Murl: Aug 7
MBradle, Sugafoot79..: Aug 12
Sublimation, saDDS, ongoingdat: Aug 13
dentene ice: Aug 17
jRock310: Aug 28

tmac001
navneetdh
chrono

total: 24
..---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July

5k9

total: 1

Last edited: