Who is in charge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: how does one become one of the governing members of the American Board of Pediatrics? Is it just a job you can apply for like running a charity? If so who is on the board of directors? Is it government appointed? Do we vote on things as members of the profession or are all decisions concerning licencing/CME/fellowships/whatever handed down to us?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering: how does one become one of the governing members of the American Board of Pediatrics? Is it just a job you can apply for like running a charity? If so who is on the board of directors? Is it government appointed? Do we vote on things as members of the profession or are all decisions concerning licencing/CME/fellowships/whatever handed down to us?

After residency, if you pass your boards you become a Fellow of the AAP. I get some e-mails about elections here and there, but I honestly ignore most of them because it doesn't have much effect on me.

perrotfish was asking about the American BOARD of Pediatrics. Here is an interesting article about their history:
https://www.abp.org/abpwebsite/abpinfo/abphistory.pdf
Definitely not government appointed-- David Nichols, the new president of the ABP was appointed by the board itself, a board under the ABMS. Not sure how the board of directors is chosen, I don't believe we are given the opportunity to vote on matter such as CME/certification/etc. as fellows of the AAP.