Who here has a diary or journal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSFx2017

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've found that keeping a journal helps me measure and assess what I have (or have not) accomplished and whether I've lived a day that was productive towards my immediate and lifelong goals.

There's also some existential whining sprinkled there every now and then.

Anyone else have a journal? What do you use it for?

Members don't see this ad.

I've found that keeping a journal helps me measure and assess what I have (or have not) accomplished and whether I've lived a day that was productive towards my immediate and lifelong goals.

There's also some existential whining sprinkled there every now and then.

Anyone else have a journal? What do you use it for?

I have a volunteering/shadowing journal to keep track of the dates and time and help me remember things I did.

I have a volunteering/shadowing journal to keep track of the dates and time and help me remember things I did.

Oo that's a really good idea... Wish I had started that 3 years ago :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)

Great idea! I wished I did that too. It would've made listing everything in the application much easier.

I have this journal. What's cool is that you can look back and see what you were doing 1, 2, 3..10 years ago on that same day. It's like your own little time capsule. You also don't have to write a whole page of stuff, just a couple sentences highlighting what you did. I haven't had it for that long, but apparently 1 year ago today, I went to class, sat through some really long and boring presentations, and then later that night watched the second half of The Fellowship of the Ring with my awesome dorm mates :rolleyes:...

I don't write anymore on paper. But I do type memoirs on my mac.

That's a good idea. But although it is nice to know every detail, AMCAS and other applications (such as secondaries) ask for ball-park numbers/times. The above is not necessary, but if it appeals to you, do it.

That is a must have especially if you shadow/work in a clinical setting. I know the exact date my first code that I had to do compressions on this poor old guy who didn't make it. I wrote everything that happened and could even remember when they were saying:

"Epi 1 given..continue compressions.. Epi 2..... Epi 5"

"Any objections.."

All in vivid detail when I read what I wrote right after the code. PTSD maybe :scared: