Who has the best Cranial Nerve Acronym!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eric23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously...I'm cramming for an anatomy exam.

Members don't see this ad.

eric23 said:

no no no, no cheating....
what are you going to do, recite the acronym when you are consulting a patient? no no no....

just kidding, I think there's a website, maybe you can find one there, let me see if I find it, okay?

eric23 said:

Nerve names: Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel (a) Virgin Girl's Vagina And Hymen

Olfactory, Optic, Oculomotor, Trochlear, Trigeminal, Abducent, Facial,
Vestibulocochlear (formerly Auditory), Glossopharyngeal, Vagus, Accessory, Hypoglossal

Nerve Function (Sensory, Motor, Both): Some Say Marry Money But My Brother Says Big Breasts Matter More

Nuff said.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
okay, it's called medicalmnemonics.com

good luck! and wish me luck with my o-chem2 cramming!!!! :scared:

I was told to ALWAYS recite the acronym when consulting with a patient...and to try and have the most confused look on your face as possible...kinda like you just saw a bunch of flying zebras outside your window. I'm not sure what they are teaching you over there....tsk tsk.

Funk...that's repulsive...yet quite useful.

Reactions: 1 users
ooh that sounds like so much fun... i love mnemonics!

and the funny thing is, i'm not really kidding.

good luck on those exams, guys!

thanks and thanks...

OLd
OPie
OCCasionally
TRIes
TRIGonometry
And
Feels
VEry
GLOomy
VAGue
And
HYPOactive

Doesn't make too much sense but if you notice the first several letters of each word correspond to the first several letters of the nerve.

Reactions: 2 users
Anatomy. What a class. Is it human anatomy or comparative?

Heres the one my professor gave us last year:
On Old Olympus Towering Top A Fin A German Viewed A Hop

It's nice because it rhymes!

Reactions: 2 users
My anatomy professor came up with this:

Oh One Once Took The Anatomy Final Very Good Vacations Are Heavenly.

I took it like four years ago, and i still remember it! So i think its a great one.

I told this one to a Neurosurgical Fellow I was working in lab with and he thought it was Pretty funny.

Oh Oh Oh To Touch A Female Vagina Gives Verne A Hard-on

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel Val's Green Vest And Hat

Nerve Function (Sensory, Motor, Both): Some Say Marry Money But My Brother Says Bad Business Marrying Money

oh oh oh to touch and feel very good velvet, AH

oh, oh, oh, to touch and feel virgins girls' vagina and hymen

1. Only
  2. Ordinary
  3. Obstacles
  4. Tend
  5. To
  6. Annoy
  7. Fat
  8. Vulgar
  9. Girls
  10. Vying
  11. After
  12. Homes
..yeah, I don't know. It helped ME...def. wasn't useful to my classmates.
Which brings up this point: if you make up your own mnemonic, it tends to stick better.

I had one that was something about old olympus towering top and a goat or something.

I guess it wasn't that effective because I can't remember it (or maybe it was really effective because I still remember the actual nerves!).

I think the dirty suggestions here are good, those always work best. Like for the hand? "some lovers try positions that they can't handle".

Oh anatomy. That was a great course.

In physiology yesterday my friend & I got in an argument over whether or not the optic nerve was CNS or PNS.

I was right, it's CNS.

That's completely irrelevant, I just thought it was neat.

Actually...what I learned is that anytime you call something a NERVE, it is in the PNS.
Likewise, if you call something a TRACT, it is in the CNS.

So in the case of the Optic Nerve; I would side with your classmate and say its part of the PNS.
However, the Optic Tract (proximal portion before the branching out after the optic chiasm) would be part of the CNS.

please correct me if I'm in error!~

Actually...what I learned is that anytime you call something a NERVE, it is in the PNS.
Likewise, if you call something a TRACT, it is in the CNS.

So in the case of the Optic Nerve; I would side with your classmate and say its part of the PNS.
However, the Optic Tract (proximal portion before the branching out after the optic chiasm) would be part of the CNS.

please correct me if I'm in error!~

I think the nerve/tract designation is true for almost all cases. However, most consider the optic nerve and optic tract as CNS - an exception to the rule. The 11 other cranial nerves are PNS.

damn exceptions :p

but I also think about the Olfactory Tract as it differentiates from CN I (Olfactory Nerve). Do we disregard the distinction in this scenario as well?

On Old Olympus' Towering Tops A Fine Victorian Gentleman Viewed A Hawk

damn exceptions :p

but I also think about the Olfactory Tract as it differentiates from CN I (Olfactory Nerve). Do we disregard the distinction in this scenario as well?

Olfactory tract = CNS, olfactory nerve = PNS. So the nerve versus tract designation you brought up holds in this case. I'm not really sure why the olfactory nerve isn't considered apart of the CNS if the optic nerve is...maybe something about the olfactory vs. optic nerves' molecular properties.

oh, oh, oh, to touch and feel virgins girls' vagina and hymen

This one is the best, i have used it in anatomy, physio and neuroscience. Also, the nastier the mneumonic the most longer u r going to remember it.

Oh
Oh
Oh
Try
Try
Try
Again
Failure
Victory
Gives
Value
And
Harmony

My anatomy professor came up with this:

Oh One Once Took The Anatomy Final Very Good Vacations Are Heavenly.

I took it like four years ago, and i still remember it! So i think its a great one.

This is how I remember them. Oh, once one takes the anatomy final, very good vacations are happening.

On old Olympus' towering top a Fin and German viewed a hop.

I like it because it rhymes!

Holy necrobump, batman!

Acronyms for the names of the cranial nerves have been pretty much exhausted. But there are more important things than the names. Not sure if undergrad anatomy requires more than that, but here's a couple more that helped in med school and board studying:

Functions: S= Sensory, M= Motor, B= Both
Some Say Marry Money But My Brother Said Big Brains Matter More

Exit points from the skull, probably one of my most used mnemonics for anatomy/boards:
COS3ROSI2J3H (said: cosine cubed rosi squared j cubed h)
I: Cribriform plate
II: Optic foramen
III, IV, V1: Superior orbital fissure
V2: foramen Rotundum
V3: foramen Ovale
VI: Superior orbital fissure
VII,VIII: Internal auditory meatus
IX, X, XI: Jugular foramen
XII: Hypoglossal canal

Reactions: 4 users
Oh
Oh
Oh
Try
Try
Try
Again
Failure
Victory
Gives
Value
And
Harmony
It's been 9 years. I'm sure the OP has figured it out in time for his exam, as well as finishing med school and residency.

Reactions: 4 users
This one is the best, i have used it in anatomy, physio and neuroscience. Also, the nastier the mneumonic the most longer u r going to remember it.
Totally agree. My method of note taking tends to involve doodles, curse words, and inappropriate (or horribly corny) jokes.

I was told to ALWAYS recite the acronym when consulting with a patient...and to try and have the most confused look on your face as possible...kinda like you just saw a bunch of flying zebras outside your window. I'm not sure what they are teaching you over there....tsk tsk.

Funk...that's repulsive...yet quite useful.
Or maybe like you just saw: Ten Zebras Bashing My Car

(facial nerve divisions: temporal, zygomatic, buccal, mandibular, cervical) Sorry, couldn't resist.

Nerve names: Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel (a) Virgin Girl's Vagina And Hymen

Olfactory, Optic, Oculomotor, Trochlear, Trigeminal, Abducent, Facial,
Vestibulocochlear (formerly Auditory), Glossopharyngeal, Vagus, Accessory, Hypoglossal

Nerve Function (Sensory, Motor, Both): Some Say Marry Money But My Brother Says Big Breasts Matter More

Nuff said.
omg I knew the first part but never heard the nerve function one that is CLUTTTTCH

Ive heard that practical exams can be difficult for people who only rely on mnemonics? I know of a few people who do not use them and claim to do fine. Just curious. Seems like extra crap to memorize IMO.

Ive heard that practical exams can be difficult for people who only rely on mnemonics? I know of a few people who do not use them and claim to do fine. Just curious. Seems like extra crap to memorize IMO.

To each their own. I didn't rely on mnemonics in anatomy and did fine. Other people swore by them and also did fine. People learn in different ways. Do what works best for you.

Some Old Hippy Caught Another Hippy Tripping On Acid. That's the right one, correct?

Joking aside I used
On Old Olympus Towering Top A Finn And German Viewed Some Hops
and for function I used Sally Struthers Make Money But My Brother Says Bridgett Bordeau Makes More

i was just trying to think of an easy one as nothing can stick to my mind... i guess below work for me.

Oh
Oh
Oh
Try
Try
Try
Again

Fat
Victor
Gives
Vi / (Vivian, etc)
A
Hand

But why bump an old thread?

I used the Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel Virgin Girls' Hymen and Vagina.

And then: Skinny Sluts Make Money But My Brother Says Big Bitches Make More

But why bump an old thread?

I used the Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel Virgin Girls' Hymen and Vagina.

And then: Skinny Sluts Make Money But My Brother Says Big Bitches Make More

=========
I can not remember whatever suggested in the forum, so i make up this one that i could remember forever.
However your second quote are better than Some Say Marry Money But My Brother Said Big Brains Matter More.

Thanks

For fellow Harry Potter fans:

a313baecf0c42337af76aa7b7186beac.jpg

On Occasion, Octopuses Tend To Allow For Very Good Vodka And Ham