Who else should I ask for strong letters of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrbanAmish

Connectile dysfunction
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm an MD-PhD student planning on applying to residency programs in RadOnc this summer. What sort of LORs are favored or expected by program directors aside from the letter from my home RadOnc chair? I'm guessing medicine, but would pediatrics or psychiatry work too? Also, would a letter from my PhD advisor who has known me for 5 years count toward the LOR limit...or even carry much weight in the admissions process? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I'm an MD-PhD student planning on applying to residency programs in RadOnc this summer. What sort of LORs are favored or expected by program directors aside from the letter from my home RadOnc chair? I'm guessing medicine, but would pediatrics or psychiatry work too? Also, would a letter from my PhD advisor who has known me for 5 years count toward the LOR limit...or even carry much weight in the admissions process? Thank you!

in radiation, i would stick to letters from other radonc docs, your research mentors, and maybe IM/Surg docs (preferably oncologists). peds/psych would help fill your file with fluff, but wouldnt add anything of substance. def get your advisor to write you a letter...since he knows you the best...