who did medical school ortho research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEADintheCLOUDS

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that clinical research wont help you get into ortho. But basic science research will? CAn someone explain this? (did any or you do just clinical and get in to good programs?)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the opposite of what the residency director at my school said. "If you do research in something other than ortho, to me it's like you didn't do any research at all." But that's just how one program director sees it, I obviously don't have any experience with any others at this point.

That's the opposite of what the residency director at my school said. "If you do research in something other than ortho, to me it's like you didn't do any research at all." But that's just how one program director sees it, I obviously don't have any experience with any others at this point.

That wasn't his question. He was asking about clinical research (in ortho) vs. basic science (in ortho).

I have heard that clinical research wont help you get into ortho. But basic science research will? CAn someone explain this? (did any or you do just clinical and get in to good programs?)

Basic sci def looks more impressive from what I've heard, but either are great to do. Clinical is way easier to publish (but PD's know this), but basic sci is more impressive if you publish. I think it goes like this from best to worst:

Basic Sci Pub > Clinical Pub > Other field pub > Basic Sci no pub > Clinical no pub > other field no pub > no research

That wasn't his question. He was asking about clinical research (in ortho) vs. basic science (in ortho).

Ooooh, thanks for the clarification. Whenever I hear basic science I think of my buddies just doing random things in labs here at school, none of which do ortho research.