WHO Accreditation Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sman15rulz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i wanted to know more of this. What does it mean if a school has WHO Creditation compared to IMED? Can i work in US if the school doesnt have WHO? Please help! Also i went to this site "http://www.who.int/hrh/wdms/en/#I" to check out if the school i was going to attend had WHO and it doesnt have it. My school is Vinayaka Mission's Medical college in Salem. They started recently (2 years ago)as a deemed university. I was wondering if it is worth the risk of going there if they don't have the WHO Accreditation. I was going to go there hoping that they will get it by the time i graduate in about 5 1/2 years but it took schools a long time to get their accreditation with some schools getting their Accreditation in 15 years. The 15 years is the fastest i have seen in that list of schools in India. Can you guys tell me the difference between WHO and IMED and also if it is worth the risk of going there? Will it be better to go to manipal or a Caribean school with WHO? Thanks guys and please help.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think WHO counts anymore. I believe they stopped updating their list.

IMED definitely counts if you want to have a license to practice in the US. Your school needs to be approved in order for you to get your ECFMG certification that in turn would get you one step closer to your license. Ask the school how long it will take for them to be approved? I know through a friend that school can already have approval but it takes a while for the list to get updated for example Amrita (it's in Kerala..it's a new school as well) had approval but it takes a while to be on the list (i think they till it has it's first graduating class. your school might be like amrita case) Ask your school or someone in your school to be sure.

Thanks and yeah that is the case. The school is not listed in the WHO Directory but they do actually have approval. I never knew about the IMED thing. I thought IMED wasnt that important and that WHO was more important because i was going to go to Caribean in Aruba to All Saints University but the didnt have WHO but had IMED Recognition. I was kinda scared that i wont be able to practise in US so that is why i left that idea. Thanks for your reply. Helped me out a lot and also i learned that the WHO updates their list every 2 years and that the last time they did update was June 2004. So that is probably the reason.