WHO recognition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Study247

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
im a canadian citizen who is planning on applying to indian medical colleges, however i want to know what things one should check before applying to the university. Someone told me to check if the colleges are WHO (world health organization) recognized, and if they are recognized by IMED (International Medical Education and Research) so that i can do my usmle's and international exams elsewher if i want to practice somewhere else......however i am confused about the difference between deemed universities and normal ones..... which are better? and i was planning on applying to Manipal and SRMC (SRMC i alreddi applied to) but Manipal is now derecognized by th indian government so i don't know if it is worth applying.... also can anyone suggest a few good non-deemed universities in india which is worthwhile applying to if your an nri
thanx
study247

Members don't see this ad.

i am also canadian citizen. I am also considering the same options.. Anywz deemed means prof makes the exam i think SRMC is deemed and non-deemed is central exam . Do u know how can go to US and work there after grad. bc canada has limited opportunity? USMLE--> for Us mcce --> Canada

hi everyone,
im a canadian citizen who is planning on applying to indian medical colleges, however i want to know what things one should check before applying to the university. Someone told me to check if the colleges are WHO (world health organization) recognized, and if they are recognized by IMED (International Medical Education and Research) so that i can do my usmle's and international exams elsewher if i want to practice somewhere else......however i am confused about the difference between deemed universities and normal ones..... which are better? and i was planning on applying to Manipal and SRMC (SRMC i alreddi applied to) but Manipal is now derecognized by th indian government so i don't know if it is worth applying.... also can anyone suggest a few good non-deemed universities in india which is worthwhile applying to if your an nri
thanx
study247

Definetly Universities and betr than Deemed ones..
acc to me ...demmed universites dont have the right to issue certificates of their own based on the course you take,they will issue cerficates via their sister or associate university....whereas an University has its own right to issue its own ceritificates.
SRMC used to be a deemed university,but on 2006 it became a university which is really a plus point .

hope this helps.

hey, wow thts realli gd to know tht SRMC is now a university...thnx for clearing tht up for me :) ...but i have more questions...

1) wat should be an nri's average to apply to india for medicine? ( i have around 88% Canadian standard) cuz all the ppl i know in india say u need crazy averages like 96.7% etc.. and i definetly do not have that :(

2) What are some other universities u may have heard of in india that are known for nri's?

3) Since i have canadian citizenship and indian citizenship im considered an "overseas citizen"...if i study in india (from a school that is recognized by the indian med. council) i will have a degree that allows me to practice in india but because im an overseas citizen i wont be able to unless i marry an indian rite away.... the problem is not about marriage or anything but basically im working hard for a degree and say for sum reason i cant go to the US....i dunno thrs problems going on in UK already and wat if the usmles are too hard in 6-7 yrs...then my degree wont be valid in india....until i get married... (i got this info wen my dad spoke to sum1 in indian medical council) but does anyone know if this is true?...is anyone experiencing this problem rite now?...

i dunno if it is the right decision coming to india if my degree wont be valid... and i dont think india saves me any time as well cuz its 5.5yrs MBBS + 2-3yrs MD specialization = approx 8yrs which is the same everywhere else (canada, us, europe etc)

any feedback wud be helpful, thanx and srry for the long mssg