White Coat Length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jade8993

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What coat length is appropriate for a white coat ceremony? I've been told it is meant to be the length of what you would wear during a clinical in an inpatient setting so you can wear it if your facility requires one; but alas I don't know that either.

Members don't see this ad.

What coat length is appropriate for a white coat ceremony? I've been told it is meant to be the length of what you would wear during a clinical in an inpatient setting so you can wear it if your facility requires one; but alas I don't know that either.
Like what length should your white coat be? My program just bought them for us. It's hung in my closet ever since.

Reactions: 1 user

The shorter ones are usually worn by PT's, not MD length but similar to PA or NP. I hate white coats anyways as they have been proven to spread disease, can cause confusion on who is in charge of care (because everyone is wearing them, I was at a SNF where PTA's wore them). They also can make it more difficult to build rapport with the whole off putting "I'm a doctor" vibe. The pockets are nice but a good pair of scrubs will have those.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get the cheapest one.
I've never seen a facility that would require PTs to wear a coat. You can if you want, Shorter would make more sense. Long ones would be kind of on the way during transfers. But I saw people wearing longer ones too. Ironically, mainly PTAs lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Short is for students