White Coat Ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Er, why? I mean you're free to react however you want, I just don't understand "despair".

I prefer indifference. If they pronounce my name right, I don't mind spending a couple of hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else out there really dislike these type of things?

I know I'm going to have to suck it up and attend but I saw a past recording of the Blue Coat at my goal school and it just made me groan in despair

I feel you. I don't really care for these things either. I'm sure I'll be proud but in the moment I'll probably be really anxious.

I would have preferred to skip these ceremonies and instead have a grander graduation
Our Blue Coat ceremony before the first day of first year is a pretty small affair. Our white coat basically is our graduation and is a huge event; it's not uncommon for people to skip the actual UPEI graduation altogether and only go to White Coat.

I don't understand despair, I guess I could see annoyance.

I dunno, we didn't get any type of ceremony just 3 days of orientation which mostly consisted of lectures on the history of vet med. It would have been nice to have a little something welcoming you to the school and recognizing the hard work it takes to get to that point. Instead it was like, hi, here's some info, lots of people fail exams, good luck, now go!

Though, graduation should be a much bigger production.

Anyone else out there really dislike these type of things?

I know I'm going to have to suck it up and attend but I saw a past recording of the Blue Coat at my goal school and it just made me groan in despair

Yes. I even understand the despair aspect. There's not much I like making a big deal out of, especially to the level of holding a ceremony. Graduation? Yes. Pretty much anything other than graduation (specifically starting vet school)? No.

I would have preferred to skip these ceremonies and instead have a grander graduation

I'm with MB. That said, I know it was important to my parents and wife ... gave them a sense of "ok, this is going somewhere". So for their sake it was a nice ceremony to have, even if all I did is walk across a stage and have someone put a coat on me.

The biggest reason I'm going to white coat is not to get the coat or hear inspirational words about my future and the nobility of our profession or whatever...it's to party like a crazy person with my amazing classmates for the last time. We worked so hard to get where we are now and I want to celebrate that with good food, lots of laughing, crazy dancing and some adult beverages.

Reactions: 2 users
The biggest reason I'm going to white coat is not to get the coat or hear inspirational words about my future and the nobility of our profession or whatever...it's to party like a crazy person with my amazing classmates for the last time. We worked so hard to get where we are now and I want to celebrate that with good food, lots of laughing, crazy dancing and some adult beverages.
This is a significant part of why I'm so psyched for white coat. It's one last chance to hang with my amazing classmates (including a certain someone with red hair that abandoned me in this frozen wasteland back in December...)

Reactions: 1 user