white coat ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is white coat ceremony like?

• What school do you go to?

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • What is your white coat ceremony like?

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters

antonella1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just accepted my offer for RVC. I'm curious to know when their white coat ceremony is and what it is like.

Members don't see this ad.

I just accepted my offer for RVC. I'm curious to know when their white coat ceremony is and what it is like.

From what the offer-holder presentation said it looks like it's third year, not before first year like US schools. If you just accepted your offer, you'll be getting an email with a link to the Facebook group. The whole presentation is on there :)

Reactions: 1 user
From what the offer-holder presentation said it looks like it's third year, not before first year like US schools. If you just accepted your offer, you'll be getting an email with a link to the Facebook group. The whole presentation is on there :)

Oh nice! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to add that not all US schools have their white coat ceremony at the beginning of first year either, K-State's is at the end of third year just before we start clinics. I know some other schools are the same way, or have a "blue coat ceremony" when you start school and then a white coat ceremony before clinics.

Reactions: 3 users
Honest question- why does it matter? White coat ceremonies are a new nonsense tradition that has only been around since the late 1980s. It's completely meaningless, I never really got why people bother with it, let alone ask about it before starting school.

Honest question- why does it matter? White coat ceremonies are a new nonsense tradition that has only been around since the late 1980s. It's completely meaningless, I never really got why people bother with it, let alone ask about it before starting school.
Maybe to see if it's something OP's family would be able to attend...?

Reactions: 1 users

*shrug* When it's done prior to starting clinical training (which is where I think it should be), I think it's a great chance to celebrate getting done with some pretty tough years of classroom work. It's healthy to take time to stop and celebrate successes along the way, and it also gives family/friends/SOs a chance to join in the celebration. And, it's kinda like a big deep breath of air and fun before buckling down to the dark tunnel of clinical training.

I don't think it's really 'nonsense'. I think it's a healthy thing. It's not like it's a big expense or anything - you have to purchase your white coat for the clinical year anyway.... (at least, where I went to school).

I do think it's kinda silly when it's done at matriculation. The proponents of that argue that it signifies joining the medical community as a professional, but .... I don't really buy that argument myself.

Reactions: 6 users
There is no white coat ceremony at RVC. We don't even wear white coats in the hospital, just purple scrub tops. I think there's some small sort of "Welcome to the start of rotations" lecture, but definitely not a ceremony. There's nothing that would be appropriate for family/friends to attend except graduation in July when you finish. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Just wanted to add that not all US schools have their white coat ceremony at the beginning of first year either, K-State's is at the end of third year just before we start clinics.

Minnesota does it this way too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
*shrug* When it's done prior to starting clinical training (which is where I think it should be), I think it's a great chance to celebrate getting done with some pretty tough years of classroom work. It's healthy to take time to stop and celebrate successes along the way, and it also gives family/friends/SOs a chance to join in the celebration. And, it's kinda like a big deep breath of air and fun before buckling down to the dark tunnel of clinical training.

I don't think it's really 'nonsense'. I think it's a healthy thing. It's not like it's a big expense or anything - you have to purchase your white coat for the clinical year anyway.... (at least, where I went to school).

I do think it's kinda silly when it's done at matriculation. The proponents of that argue that it signifies joining the medical community as a professional, but .... I don't really buy that argument myself.
Ah, at medical schools it is often this big thing- we're talking fancy banquet halls, alumni speeches, expensive food, etc etc, usually at the start of school. It just felt so overblown and superfluous. Before starting clinical, that would be more meaningful.

I'm just here for the poll

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Minnesota does it this way too.

You mean the "before clinicals," right? MN isn't doing a blue coat to start and a white coat after third year now, are they?? Both were in the post that you responded to....

Ah, at medical schools it is often this big thing- we're talking fancy banquet halls, alumni speeches, expensive food, etc etc, usually at the start of school. It just felt so overblown and superfluous. Before starting clinical, that would be more meaningful.

Ah. Well, maybe some vet schools do that, I dunno. Ours was just a fairly brief ceremony (speech by the dean, speech by someone picked from the class, coating, then cake 'n coffee). Held in a school auditorium so it isn't like it cost them anything. Pretty simple.

I liked it. Felt like closing one door, taking a deep breath, and opening another.

Reactions: 4 users
You mean the "before clinicals," right? MN isn't doing a blue coat to start and a white coat after third year now, are they?? Both were in the post that you responded to....

Ah. Well, maybe some vet schools do that, I dunno. Ours was just a fairly brief ceremony (speech by the dean, speech by someone picked from the class, coating, then cake 'n coffee). Held in a school auditorium so it isn't like it cost them anything. Pretty simple.

I liked it. Felt like closing one door, taking a deep breath, and opening another.

Derp, no, sorry. Just white coat before clinicals. Fixed it.

I agree that it's more meaningful to have the white coat ceremony before clinical training begins, but I don't mind having it at matriculation as well. Getting into Vet or Med School takes years of hard work and persistence. Having the opportunity to celebrate with my family this little achievement will mean a lot to me. To me, it also symbolizes a promise to myself that I need to work even harder to honor the white coat that I am wearing.

that poll was fantastic. much insight. very wow.

Reactions: 9 users
I wish all polls were this straightforward.

Reactions: 5 users
There is no white coat ceremony at RVC. We don't even wear white coats in the hospital, just purple scrub tops. I think there's some small sort of "Welcome to the start of rotations" lecture, but definitely not a ceremony. There's nothing that would be appropriate for family/friends to attend except graduation in July when you finish. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Thank you for your response. That really clarified things for me!

Team "what is your white coat ceremony like?" all the way!
635846835787826914742021224_tumblr_inline_ndrgqpP4t41sxys8w.gif

Reactions: 5 users
We had our white coat ceremony during matriculation, and I'm glad for it. We spend a lot of time in the clinic for surgery labs and SIMs, as well as on the mobile clinic... both places where we have to wear them most of the time!

I had bright pink hair in my white coat picture, idk how professional it is. :D
I feel like everyone has had bright pink hair at some point! I had my tips bright pink a couple years ago, you, I think TT said hers was pink!

I feel like everyone has had bright pink hair at some point! I had my tips bright pink a couple years ago, you, I think TT said hers was pink!
Dark hair no like pink, and never bothered to bleach for the short lasting effect. I like midnight blues and purples and reds though.

Dark hair no like pink, and never bothered to bleach for the short lasting effect. I like midnight blues and purples and reds though.
I have dark brown hair, and I decided to try it without bleaching, and it held the color for 12 weeks!!!

yeah i bleached about half of my hair and then just did the dye over all of it, so i did have a pinkish cast to the non-bleached parts but it was super bright on the bleached ones. good times. the only reason i didn't keep it up in school was because it is soooo much effort.

Mine does not hold color. And grows fast, so roots are always showing within two weeks.
Mine held really well! I only did my tips though because I was still in hs and it was technically breaking dress code, but my principal loved me and loved my hair. So this was from 3 years ago.

Also holy cow the baby face was bad then (and still is pretty bad) and I made really dumb faces but whatev. The second pic was 8 weeks after.

*poof*

Last edited:
I couldn't handle neon hair because I am lazy when it comes to hair appointments and only redye my hair every 3-4 months. It would just look like crap because I wouldn't keep up on it.

Speaking of that I need to get booking a hair appt; my hair barely looks dyed anymore. :p

We had ours before first year and there were speakers etc. But a lot of weight was put behind the ceremony getting us to think of ourselves as colleagues from the outset and acting like doctors (as in professional human beings, no longer in undergrad etc, which you know, is tough for me haha). I don't know that it is "necessary" but I think it was a good way to help us shift gears. Vet school is NOT undergrad and for a lot of us required an entirely different frame of mind.

We had ours before first year and there were speakers etc. But a lot of weight was put behind the ceremony getting us to think of ourselves as colleagues from the outset and acting like doctors (as in professional human beings, no longer in undergrad etc, which you know, is tough for me haha). I don't know that it is "necessary" but I think it was a good way to help us shift gears. Vet school is NOT undergrad and for a lot of us required an entirely different frame of mind.

This must be why I stuck at being professional.... I never had a white coat ceremony. This totally has to be it.

This must be why I stuck at being professional.... I never had a white coat ceremony. This totally has to be it.
@DVMDream ... sheesh, we'll have to do something about that.

So, I asked my cat to summon a few of her furry feline friends to do the honors 'cuz they already have their white coats.

Here is your (belated) white coat ... congratulations, DVMD!
whitecoatcats.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
@DVMDream ... sheesh, we'll have to do something about that.

So, I asked my cat to summon a few of her furry feline friends to do the honors 'cuz they already have their white coats.

Here is your (belated) white coat ... congratulations, DVMD!
View attachment 218050

:laugh:

I hope this doesn't mean I have to be professional now.... :cyclops::borg::pigeon: