White Coat Ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariagefreres

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my parents don't want to come to my white coat ceremony. I'm moving coasts so I can't really invite friends instead of them. Will it be awkward not to have anyone there? Or do many students not have any guests

Members don't see this ad.

Parent initially was gonna be there, but things happened, so she won't. Relatives couldn't with their work schedules.

I have one salvation though. One of my mentors, a professor I adore immensely and supported my journey, wanted to be there when I told her I got in. So I invited her. She is retiring later after decades of teaching, so I will surprise her with an early retirement gift.

Reactions: 4 users
So my parents don't want to come to my white coat ceremony. I'm moving coasts so I can't really invite friends instead of them. Will it be awkward not to have anyone there? Or do many students not have any guests

I didn’t have anyone come to mine. They’ll come to graduation so don’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No one cares. No one really knows anyone at that point anyway. No need to fret over it.

Reactions: 2 users
I went to med school in the 90s and white coat ceremony didn’t even exist. I heard about it starting up a few years after I graduated.

Point is....it’s a kinda a made up thing in the fairly recent past and doesn’t mean much. I mean...you haven’t done anything yet.....

Graduation is a big deal and I’m sure your family will be there for you then.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn’t have anyone come to mine. They’ll come to graduation so don’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No one cares. No one really knows anyone at that point anyway. No need to fret over it.

I went to med school in the 90s and white coat ceremony didn’t even exist. I heard about it starting up a few years after I graduated.

Point is....it’s a kinda a made up thing in the fairly recent past and doesn’t mean much. I mean...you haven’t done anything yet.....

Graduation is a big deal and I’m sure your family will be there for you then.

Great, I won't worry about it then. Thank you everyone =)

I find these ceremonies to be completely useless. I haven't attended my high school or college graduations, let alone invited people to accompany me. Med school graduation will be no different, if I can skip it altogether I will, otherwise I'll be in and out of there like a mid-ocean squall. Waste of time the lot of it!

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think its fair to make a blanket statement that things like this are not important. The significance of these events are much more subjective.

These ceremonies are all to celebrate ones accomplishments its a time to stop and smell the roses.

In the words of the great Ferris Bueller "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Although the White Coat ceremony is something that began more recently, it does still have value and mean something. It means you have accomplished something - you have gotten accepted into medical school and have the opportunity to study and become a physician. This is not something just anyone does and takes years of hard work - more years for some than others.

And on a more personal note, as a first generation college student each of my graduations have been significant.

However, back to OP's initial questions, I am sure it would not seem weird if your parents were not able to make it.

Reactions: 7 users
As long as it doesn't bother you.

The White Coat Ceremony was a very special event for me, so I invited a lot of family and I was lucky that it wasn't a far drive away. But, for some people, it's a an insignificant show. Different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: 3 users
I told my parents to not come to mine (aside from the travel). For a couple of reasons:

1. As an M1, I personally didn’t see it as that big of an accomplishment.
2. Everybody wears white coats now. Nursing students. Phlebotomy. Etc.
3. I personally felt this was more like a kindergarten graduation more than anything else. It’s a white coat. Wearing or not wearing it doesn’t make me more or less of a physician. I actually choose to not wear it most of the time anyway.

Parents were there for graduation and at this point I don’t look back and go oh man I wish they were there for my white coat ceremony. I think you’ll be ok. Cheers.

Reactions: 3 users
The White Coat Ceremony is something that is very important to you as a premed and early first year and becomes magnitudes less important to you as you get through school. Each year feels like a lifetime away. But in this matter, subjectivity rules and if it is personally important to you then you have every right to feel that way. Likewise, if it is not important to you, you have the same right to not feel that way as well.

I find these ceremonies to be completely useless. I haven't attended my high school or college graduations, let alone invited people to accompany me. Med school graduation will be no different, if I can skip it altogether I will, otherwise I'll be in and out of there like a mid-ocean squall. Waste of time the lot of it!
Tonight, you will be visited by three spirits

Reactions: 10 users
I didn't have any family come to my white coat ceremony either, though my girlfriend (now wife) at the time came. Our event was such that no one knew how many people were or weren't there for you.

I don't think anyone will care. Do what you need to do, participate to the extent that you want to, and then go get drunk.

Reactions: 1 user

You’re moving across coasts so you don’t know anyone there. The ceremonies are held in large theater-like buildings with like a million seats for the audience. No one will notice and there’s a large proportion of the audience that claps for everyone if you’re worried about not getting an applause when your name is called.

You won't be the only one. Take some group pics with a few buddies. You'll be fine.

A good friend of mine found the idea of the white coat ceremony so preposterous and unnecessary that he didn't bother telling any of his family or friends about it...

...and they lived in the same town as the school, he was a local :rolleyes: