Which Way to Go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JNT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this point, I'm having to choose between two schools, as are many of you, so I thought I would solicit some advice from the forum in hopes that some person(s) could provide some insight or help me focus on details I've overlooked.

I happened to apply to the Sociomedical Sciences, Aging and Public Health track at Columbia and the International Health, Social and Behavioral Interventions track at Hopkins. Yes, two seemingly very disparate programs with possibly two different outcomes (meaning, the direction in which the programs will lead me may vary considerably upon graduation). Had I applied to two similar programs at both schools (i.e. Epi at both schools), I would not be in such a predicament.

Ultimately, I would like to work with the geriatric population to implement health programs and policies that assess and address the health concerns of this ever-growing, ever-changing population. I feel that Columbia's program will afford me the experiences and skills to specifically meet the needs of the aging (after all, the program IS Aging and Public Health). Whereas, Hopkins' program in International Health is more broad (and I would eventually like to conduct longitudinal studies on elderly populations in developing countries), but some courses on aging are offered through the other departments. Also, at Hopkins, I may have access to the Center on Aging and Health, which conducts "leading-edge" research and possibly take courses to obtain a certificate in gerontology.

My questions remains: Should I go the more focused route (Columbia) or venture to take the route in which resources are great, but the extent to which I will utilize them is uncertain? Basically, I don't know how well I will be able to mesh my interests in aging and international health at Hopkins. I suppose the advice here would be: the only thing that matters is what you make of your experiences.

Location and financial aid are not significant factors for consideration at this point because I can live just about anywhere and both schools are offering similar financial aid packages.

I've managed to get an extension for Columbia ('til the 17th), but I don't know how much longer I can avoid making this decision. Any thoughts would be warmly received and greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you go to Hopkins you will find any opportunity you could ever possibly desire. If it were me, I would go to Hopkins and seek out a niche at the University.

wow you are the third person (myself one of them) who is deciding between hopkins and columbia. Though your decision is based on a completely different scenario.

I was choosing between the epi MPH at columbia and the epi MHS at hopkins. i wasn't sure about the MHS at first, but I have ended up choosing Hopkins because I feel like the opportunities available at Hopkins are unparalleled. Though, as some of my advisors have told me, one can't go wrong either way since Columbia is also a really great school. Thats something that I have always tried to keep in mind.

I think your best bet is to talk to academic advisors in both programs. Tell them what you want to accomplish and see what they have to say. The Hopkins Bloomberg website also has a "Student Pages" section where you can potentially find a student who has the same interests as you and get in contact with them. The site is here:

http://commprojects.jhsph.edu/students/

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, guys! I did take some time to contact faculty and students and am still torn between the two. I'm awaiting a response from one particular person who may be able to steer me in the right direction. I'm leaning more towards Hopkins because as you guys noted, the opportunities there are endless. Thanks again!

Hey,

I was also deciding between Columbia SMS Global Health Track or Hopkins Intl Health SBI. I ultimately ended up choosing Hopkins, but for completely diff reasons (the global health track is not very well established at Columbia, it's more expensive, less flexibility in program and internship).

But for you, if you're interested in ageing, it sounds like Columbia might be a better choice for you! They have a program focused exclusively on that and I was REALLY impressed with the sociomedical sciences dept there (just visited last week). If you know you want to work with the elderly, but you just 'think' you might want to look at the elderly in developing countries, it seems like it would be best to get the specialized knowledge of aging from Columbia. I'm not aware of many courses at Hopkins that deal with this topic. Also, I know at Columbia there ARE a lot of international health classes (geared towards the global health track, but anyone can take them).

That's my spin on it. Have you talked to key faculty members in both departments?

Hey, publichealth06,

I was able to communicate with both students and faculty from both institutions and found them all to be extremely helpful. I've decided, based primarily on the academic program, to attend Columbia in the fall. At first, I was a bit distressed with having to pass up Hopkins, which is a fine institution where opportunities abound, but I am grateful for my options and know that there is no 'wrong' decision. A MD/MPH graduate of Columbia encouraged me to opt for Hopkins if my intentions were to pursue international health because Hopkins boasts of a well-established IH department. Although I would like to apply an international perspective to my work in public health, my primary focus is on the aging population. Since I couldn't visit either schools myself, I was really glad to read that you were impressed by Columbia's SMS department during your visit!

basten0 and publichealth06, congratulations on your decision to attend Hopkins. Best of luck to you guys!

Hey JNT,

I think you made the right decision for you! Congratulations! I hope you're getting as excited about starting your public health degree as I am.....

JNT said:
Hey, publichealth06,

I was able to communicate with both students and faculty from both institutions and found them all to be extremely helpful. I've decided, based primarily on the academic program, to attend Columbia in the fall. At first, I was a bit distressed with having to pass up Hopkins, which is a fine institution where opportunities abound, but I am grateful for my options and know that there is no 'wrong' decision. A MD/MPH graduate of Columbia encouraged me to opt for Hopkins if my intentions were to pursue international health because Hopkins boasts of a well-established IH department. Although I would like to apply an international perspective to my work in public health, my primary focus is on the aging population. Since I couldn't visit either schools myself, I was really glad to read that you were impressed by Columbia's SMS department during your visit!

basten0 and publichealth06, congratulations on your decision to attend Hopkins. Best of luck to you guys!

best of luck to you too. nyc and columbia are da bomb.

hi
i am also supposed to make this hard decision of choosing between MPH at JHSPH and MPH (Repro and Fam Health)Columbia Univ. Both the programs are too good to resist. But being an international student, my dilemma is compounded by financial issues. I have not recd any fin aid from either univ. Can anyone please advise me regarding the chances of obtaining TA/RA positions at both univs?