MPH "To which other schools or programs of public health are you applying?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedAsUsual

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's an optional question, but I always read into things and overthink and then ponder my life decisions at night:

1. Why would someone choose to fill out this question?

2. Can I choose to only list some of the schools I'm applying to?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

1. I assume there are a lot of answers, and would suspect that most of them have to do with communicating how you make decisions and what you know about MPH programs. Personally, I filled out these question with the hopes that it would show that I'd done my research about what the best programs for my interests/learning style were and wasn't just applying to, like, the top 5 programs on the US News list.

2. Yup, since (a) there's no way for them to verify this and (b) you can always add schools after you've submitted your initial applications. In line with what I said in (1), I left off schools that I applied to for geographic convenience reasons.

I think this is a super, super minor part of your application that would only have an impact in extreme circumstances. Rest easy.

Reactions: 1 user
1. I assume there are a lot of answers, and would suspect that most of them have to do with communicating how you make decisions and what you know about MPH programs. Personally, I filled out these question with the hopes that it would show that I'd done my research about what the best programs for my interests/learning style were and wasn't just applying to, like, the top 5 programs on the US News list.

2. Yup, since (a) there's no way for them to verify this and (b) you can always add schools after you've submitted your initial applications. In line with what I said in (1), I left off schools that I applied to for geographic convenience reasons.

I think this is a super, super minor part of your application that would only have an impact in extreme circumstances. Rest easy.

Okay, awesome! Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's an optional question, but I always read into things and overthink and then ponder my life decisions at night:

Thank you!

I think that insecure schools, or those that are considered safety schools, ask this question as they can data mine the answers to figure out where students rank them, and where students go who get accepted, but don't matriculate to their school.

If a school sees that the majority of their applicants don't apply to the top 5 schools, just a sign that you might be a safety school. Or if schools that competed on par with them, suddenly are taking more and more of their accepted students it means their perceived value has decreased.

If SOPHAS aggregates all this data, like where students applied, were accepted, and ultimately ended up, a computer program could create competitiveness rank list based on how students view the holistic package the school offers, not only perceived prestige, it also price and geography and anything else.

You see it all the time on this message board, people who get accepted to ten schools, but of course you can only go to one.

Maybe if the schools see an applicant who they think they are competitive for, but might get into a better school with a cheaper tuition, they might offer a bit of a scholarship. Given that schools evaluate thousands of applicants, all they have to do is give your application a ranking number based on competitiveness, see where else you applied, and let the computer decide if it is worth it to offer you a scholarship.

Some of the soulless corporate driven schools like BU or Columbia probably do this every year in order to maximize their competitiveness. It's probably like money ball for admissions departments.

Let's say you answer and ALL of the other schools you're applying to have a higher tuition, then the computer says don't offer them a merit scholarship as tuition won't be a deal breaker. Heck, based on previous years data they could compare you to people who had about the same gpa, test scores, years of experience and applied to the same schools to try to predict what you'll do.

In some respects public health schools are a buyer's market as even somebody with good, but not a stellar application can get into the best schools. Of course, when you get done it doesn't mean you'll automatically get a job super quickly like some other degrees.

It probably makes the school's life easy if they accept the best applicants they can, or at least people who could get a decent paying job even without an MPH, so that their career services doesn't grow huge just to help a ton of unemployed graduates.

Last edited:

Thank you!

Columbia asked this question and I filled it out honestly, listing 3 other top schools. It didn't affect my admission decision. I'm not sure they actually scrutinize this question given how many acceptances they send out in general. My logic, however, was that they may feel more pressure to offer a scholarship if they know they are in competition with these other schools. Nevertheless, I received significant scholarships at the 3 other schools, and almost nothing from Columbia.

Columbia asked this question and I filled it out honestly, listing 3 other top schools. It didn't affect my admission decision. I'm not sure they actually scrutinize this question given how many acceptances they send out in general. My logic, however, was that they may feel more pressure to offer a scholarship if they know they are in competition with these other schools. Nevertheless, I received significant scholarships at the 3 other schools, and almost nothing from Columbia.

If you Google the topic you'll see that schools of all sorts do this for marketing and recruitment purposes, makes sense with Columbia as while the school is solid, tuition might be high and there are other subjective factors, so they want to know their competition, why they lose students so it's basically data mining.

Occasionally it seems the ad-com might look with casual interest where a student is applying . . . at that point who knows how it might subconsciously affect a decision? Sometimes professors you communicate with at one school see where you applied, or ask you, and they can divinate your career plans.

I casually asked a school last year when I was speaking with somebody in admissions (after my acceptance), and I was told it was strictly so the school could gauge which programs they are competing with and what other programs grab the interest of the students that are interested in them so they can improve their marketing and recruitment techniques. I was told it has zero impact on our applications. It's just something for their own use.

Reactions: 1 user