Which US Schools should I apply to? V. GOOD ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it help to include these international standardized exams?:
SATII: Physics (800/800), Biology (750), Chemistry (780): Total 2330/2400 (97%)

First, I'm not sure if you were originally out of the US, but that's not how the SAT is calculated.

You do NOT add your SAT II's to get it out of 2400. That's the SAT I, which is completely different. So no, you did not get a 2330.

Second, as others have said numerous times, if you want to apply this late for only MD's, go ahead, but you'll be wasting tons and tons of money once you find out that your MCAT and GPA are getting you screened out at most, if not all, MD schools.

Be PATIENT and strengthen your application. This process is a marathon, not a sprint.

Members don't see this ad.

First, I'm not sure if you were originally out of the US, but that's not how the SAT is calculated.

You do NOT add your SAT II's to get it out of 2400. That's the SAT I, which is completely different. So no, you did not get a 2330.

I don't know why you picked on my SATII but okay...... Like it makes a difference. I got top marks in each component then, if it makes you feel better.

Anyway, thanks, but I'm applying now and next year. There is no point being patient and not applying now anyway... I'll apply now and be patient enough to apply next year. There's no significant loss. I would have boosted my MCAT, GPA, done research, posters, giant campaigns and projects, Masters, etc. I'll have enough to show I improved. I might as well apply now anyway. 20% acceptance rate is really not that bad if I apply to over 15 schools.

Last edited:
I don't know why you picked on my SATII but okay...... Like it makes a difference. I got top marks in each component then, if it makes you feel better.

Anyway, thanks, but I'm applying now and next year. There is no point being patient and not applying now anyway... I'll apply now and be patient enough to apply next year. There's no significant loss. I would have boosted my MCAT, GPA, done research, posters, giant campaigns and projects, Masters, etc. I'll have enough to show I improved. I might as well apply now anyway. 20% acceptance rate is really not that bad if I apply to over 15 schools.

It's not 20% for each school, it's 20% for just one acceptance out of all the schools you have applied to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought you were only going to apply to you state school. Now you are applying to 15 schools? Any idea when you will be verified? What schools are you applying to?

I would have boosted my MCAT, GPA, done research, posters, giant campaigns and projects, Masters, etc. I'll have enough to show I improved.

Boy you are going to be buy. Are you enrolled in a Master program now?

Your cavalier attitude about this shows that A. You have no idea how fast application fees and interview costs (assuming you get some) add up or B. you have a lot of $ to burn. Either way, I'm interested to see how this turns out.

those SAT scores and high school ECs are really going to carry your med school app. Tone down your confidence or youll sound like a giant tool during interviews...though i agree that you should retake that 6 on VR.

I know its one acceptance per all unis applied to. Different people applied to different unis. But I'll apply to MORE unis, so I'll have a higher chance. I might do 20-30. Even then, a 20% chance of getting accepted, period, is worth to apply for anyway.

I'm in 4th year Ugrad honors at an extremely grade deflating school (3.5 is top 10% lol). If I don't get accepted now and start a masters, I'll finish it in 2 years so I would have to wait 2 years before getting into medical school.

High school EC? Harvard is highschool? Reread my post. My ECs in highschool were nothing.

Last edited:
I know its one acceptance per all unis applied to. Different people applied to different unis. But I'll apply to MORE unis, so I'll have a higher chance. I might do 20-30. Even then, a 20% chance of getting accepted, period, is worth to apply for anyway.

I'm in 4th year Ugrad honors at an extremely grade deflating school (3.5 is top 10% lol). If I don't get accepted now and start a masters, I'll finish it in 2 years so I would have to wait 2 years before getting into medical school.

High school EC? Harvard is highschool? Reread my post (you forgot it). My ECs in highschool were nothing.

Do they deflate you MCAT score too? Because someone doing so well at such a hard school would surely score above a 28 on the MCAT.

The extent to which you embrace your delusions of grandeur is actually alarming. For all of the bark you seem to have, you are alarmingly average. You are applying with low statistics and at an extremely late point in the cycle. You WILL NOT be accepted.

Some people, IF THEY APPLY EARLY, will have success with similar stats to yours. HOWEVER, these people are accepted to their low-tier state schools. These low-tier state schools are often heavily invested in primary care, and do not place as much emphasis (if at all) on research. Your application seems to convey a great interest in research. So, in addition to having low stats, you will not fit the missions to the schools that you'd even have a chance at.

Sorry bud, kiss that $750 goodbye. Go ahead and start looking for master's programs.

High school EC? Harvard is highschool? Reread my post (you forgot it). My ECs in highschool were nothing.

It's actually probably alot lower than 20 due to how late in the cycle it is.

But once again, good luck :luck:

Since you are US citizen, you might have shot at your state school... but that 6 in VR is ugly no matter how strong the rest of your application is. So if you want to apply this year, you gotta submit everything ASAP

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the funniest WAMC thread yet. :thumbup: OP. I think you should definitely try your randomly bolding technique in your personal statement too. Let us know how that goes.

:smuggrin:

First of all, just because you went to the University of Toronto, doesn't mean you're entitled to lower GPA standards or looked upon favorably by adcoms. U of T is known for their research and anyone could care less about the undergraduate experience you had there, and the university itself is nowhere near the caliber of the Ivy League schools in the U.S. The fact you keep mentioning grade deflation is astonishing. Unless you're in physics, math, chemistry or some sort of engineering; a 3.7+ cGPA at U of T is well within reach provided one works hard and puts in the effort.

Secondly, your undergraduate cGPA is 3.3, and depending on how well you do this year; I'm assuming you will be finishing your degree anywhere from a 3.3-3.4. That is below the average cGPA for matriculants to U.S. medical schools, so even at this point, in terms of GPA you are an uncompetitive applicant. You are lucky you have US citizenship, because as an international a 3.3 cGPA would get your application thrown out within seconds.

Thirdly, the VR score of 6 combined with a 3.3 cGPA puts you out of the running. Nobody cares about the standardized exams you did in high school or the EC's you did in high school (unless you continued them in university). You're going to be wasting your money if you apply now, the statistics are against you. Adcoms have reasons to reject you compared to other applicants whom are stellar in all aspects.

By the way, You're only 20. There is no need to rush. Getting into medical school is certainly not a race. Wait it out for a year or two, improve your GPA, rewrite your MCAT, gain some more life experiences, shadow some physicians - and then apply broadly!

Last edited:
I feel like this whole thread is a troll, it has to be.

"I'm very strong in the sciences, it's just the VR (which I think they might weigh less than the sciences) that I didn't do so well in. I can also score much higher on the MCAT (>34), due to time being the main limiting factor, next time." Like that line makes me wonder, will you just ask nicely for more time next time or something..? If this is really you, and I hope it's not...get off your high horse. you are not special. you are the same decaying pile of crap premed as everyone else (paraphrased from fight club)

the real question...how do we know AAMC isn't just out to get you? HOW DO WE KNOW THEY DIDNT RIG THE TEST SO YOUD GET A 6 ON VR? only reason you could ever get below 95th percentile wtfx man!

I feel like this whole thread is a troll, it has to be.

"I'm very strong in the sciences, it's just the VR (which I think they might weigh less than the sciences) that I didn't do so well in. I can also score much higher on the MCAT (>34), due to time being the main limiting factor, next time." Like that line makes me wonder, will you just ask nicely for more time next time or something..? If this is really you, and I hope it's not...get off your high horse. you are not special. you are the same decaying pile of crap premed as everyone else (paraphrased from fight club)

the real question...how do we know AAMC isn't just out to get you? HOW DO WE KNOW THEY DIDNT RIG THE TEST SO YOUD GET A 6 ON VR? only reason you could ever get below 95th percentile wtfx man!
the funny thing is this guy's actually serious about applying

I will still apply. Most of you just want less competition (hypocrites). Yes, UofT is tougher than the other Canadian unis (it's proven in every way, and only liars deny it (people from easier schools), go to **** you ignorant fellow Canadian from that Northern school that has a ridiculously easy class, oh wait, you didn't do Physical Education? Okay). English is my second language (if I had a lousy 9 on VR, my score would have been a 31). I have an astonishing upward trend at a deflating school (3.5 is top 10%) too. I don't even care about convincing you guys specifically.

I don't care if you keep bashing me. All you tell me is "wait a year or two (until i apply first -- which you don't state)". Since no reasons have been provided, I suspect that there is no real benefit for me not applying at all this year (other than to some self-serving hypocrites here), so I will apply (and you will deal with more competition). Furthermore, you are not Adcoms to give your unsupported advice in such a factual and aggressive manner. I hope you aren't this arrogant when responsible for lives as future doctors.

Last edited:
Bro if you didnt want advice then dont post. Just chill, no one minds if you apply or not.

You're right there are thousands of applicants, I doubt anyone is troubled by one person applying.

Some people give bad advice so that the other hundreds (so far over 2,000 haha) people who read my thread would follow their bad advice (it actually has a bigger impact than you think it does). Also, the sheer amount of arrogance here (not reading my original post and making completely wrong conclusions about me) is shocking. Nobody has told me yet why being a reapplicant is a compelling enough reason to not apply at all this year. The 20% chance is for most people with cGPA of 3.3. Most people with cGPA of 3.3 (20% acceptance) didn't get Distinction within an Honors program at a top university (grade deflation) like I did, lead gigantic initiatives, and have near a 3.8 in their last years. My chance, I imagine, is above 50%.

Last edited:
OP, you are applying very late with poor stats. Most people on SDN applied months ago and with more solid stats. Many of those trying to help you in this thread already have acceptances. Nobody here is worried about the competition. Flame away.

I will still apply. Most of you just want less competition (hypocrites). Yes, UofT is tougher than the other Canadian unis (it's proven by the lower, if you deny that, go to hell you ignorant fellow Canadian who has such an easy class). English is my second language (if I had a lousy 9 on VR, my score would have been a 31). I have an astonishing upward trend too. I don't even care about convincing you specifically.

I don't care if you keep bashing me. All you tell me is "wait a year or two (until i apply first -- which you don't state)". There is no real benefit for me not applying at all this year (other than to some self-serving hypocrites here), so I will apply (and you will deal with more competition). Furthermore, you are not Adcoms to give your poorly-informed advice in such a factual and aggressive manner. I hope you aren't this arrogant as future doctors, ha.

Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I see two possibilities here:

1.) You don't want advice; you want validation. Otherwise, you wouldn't post the same tired arguments over and over and over again. You wouldn't take issue with people who know more about this process than you do, who have been through it, and who are attempting to provide you with direct, objective advice. It's not our problem if our advice doesn't happen to coincide with what you want to hear.

I assure you (and please, for the love of God, read this carefully): No one here cares whether or not you apply this year or next year or in 2018. Really, we don't. It's your money and your time. Do whatever you want.

2.) Your posts are an elaborate (and successful) attempt at trolling us.

I'm honestly leaning towards #2 now. How 'bout everyone else?

Honest advice... your excuses you make for your poor performance makes you look like a tool. Your school may deflate grades, but your MCAT is in the 65th percentile. You clearly are not as smart as you think you are. The true story is you are a mediocre student and you are too weak to accept it.

Some people give bad advice so that the other hundreds (so far over 2,000 haha) people who read my thread would follow their bad advice (it actually has a bigger impact than you think it does). Also, the sheer amount of arrogance here (not reading my original post and making completely wrong conclusions about me) is shocking. Nobody has told me yet why being a reapplicant is a compelling enough reason to not apply at all this year. The 20% chance is for most people with cGPA of 3.3. Most people with cGPA of 3.3 (20% acceptance) didn't get Distinction within an Honors program at a top university (grade deflation) like I did, lead gigantic initiatives, and have near a 3.8 in their last years. My chance, I imagine, is above 50%.

I want the bolded addressed. I want points made here supported rationally, especially when they say "do not apply this year".

Honestly bro I think you have a little paranoia. Do your best in applying. You have a lot of determination and that can be a strength you can sell if you get some interviews. Dont worry about what anyone says if you have made up your mind, and dont reply to them if they disagree. When you reply you're just feeding your own fire of opposition. Good luck with everything and keep on keepin' on.

Honest advice... your excuses you make for your poor performance makes you look like a tool. Your school may deflate grades, but your MCAT is in the 65th percentile. You clearly are not as smart as you think you are. The true story is you are a mediocre student and you are too weak to accept it.

Sorry, my 95 percentile (12) in PS and 10 in BS make me a mediocre student? Just because I don't speak this arbitrary language English as you do and so scored a 6 (actually due to time-management) at VR which native speakers usually can't overcome? Why don't you do VR in another language then, haha? Grow up, you ethnocentric ignorant person.

I will still apply. Most of you just want less competition (hypocrites). Yes, UofT is tougher than the other Canadian unis (it's proven in every way, and only liars deny it (people from easier schools), go to **** you ignorant fellow Canadian from that Northern school that has a ridiculously easy class, oh wait, you didn't do Physical Education? Okay). English is my second language (if I had a lousy 9 on VR, my score would have been a 31). I have an astonishing upward trend too. I don't even care about convincing you guys specifically.

I don't care if you keep bashing me. All you tell me is "wait a year or two (until i apply first -- which you don't state)". There is no real benefit for me not applying at all this year (other than to some self-serving hypocrites here), so I will apply (and you will deal with more competition). Furthermore, you are not Adcoms to give your unsupported advice in such a factual and aggressive manner. I hope you aren't this arrogant when responsible for lives as future doctors.

People are just suggesting advice to you for the better. Nobody here wants to see you get hurt, that's why they're taking the time out of their day to respond to this thread and offer their humble piece of advice. Look, your extracurricular activities and life experiences are above average and worthy of attaining an interview; it's just that you're lacking in the minor academic components which can be improved with an MCAT re-write and a couple of more semesters of undergrad. Doing so will greatly improve your chances. It's better to apply when your application is ready and stellar in all aspects; that way you won't have to be a re-applicant and have to endure this grueling process all over again.

As far as less competition is concerned, just because one less person applies won't change the fact that there are still thousands of other applicants applying and as a result the competitiveness of the applicant pool will remain unaffected. We are not here and out to get you, we just want don't want to see you blow a large amount of money in hopes of fighting a uphill battle for a relatively small chance at acceptance.

In the end, it is just advice and you are not obliged to follow it. Ultimately, it is your decision if and when you want to apply. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Honestly bro I think you have a little paranoia. Do your best in applying. You have a lot of determination and that can be a strength you can sell if you get some interviews. Dont worry about what anyone says if you have made up your mind, and dont reply to them if they disagree. When you reply you're just feeding your own fire of opposition. Good luck with everything and keep on keepin' on.

Thanks. Working on my apps. I appreciate the advice. Just wanted reasons. I don't do things if I don't understand why (especially large decisions like waiting 2 years for acceptance lol), that was all.

I shall apply! I'll let you all know how it goes. :)

Charge! :p

VR is hard I wont lie, but its not useless. Its main function is to test critical thinking and problem solving that doctors encounter outside of the basic sciences. I think everyone who has taken the MCAT can agree it is the hardest and most inconsistent area of that test. That being said what is done is done, and now you have the challenge of going forward. Since you have already decided to apply this year good luck to you, but if you dont make it into med school this year dont be discouraged. You have potential, just build on your areas that can use improvement like your clinical exposure, and retake the MCAT as you plan to do. Hope it goes well.

VR has never been about language comprehension bro. Its your problem solving capabilities, and how quickly you can make an educated decision.

VR has never been about language comprehension bro. Its your problem solving capabilities, and how quickly you can make an educated decision.
Man, reading super quickly unnecessarily-complex sentences is needed too.

Thanks. Working on my apps. I appreciate the advice. Just wanted reasons. I don't do things if I don't understand why, that was all.

I shall go through it! I'll let you all know how it goes. :)

Charge! :p
Glad to hear it. You will do fine, or the ADCOMS wont know what hit them! It may well take a couple of applications but if you want to be a doctor as bad as I think you do then it'll be worth it.

Man, reading super quickly unnecessarily-complex sentences is needed too.

:laugh: that too! I guess they're thinking "you never know when you'll need that skill" ;)

lol thanks. Good luck, sterlingh87, you're a good guy. Others here are too. A few others like Tarheel need to relax and do some actual research.

The extent to which you embrace your delusions of grandeur is actually alarming. For all of the bark you seem to have, you are alarmingly average. You are applying with low statistics and at an extremely late point in the cycle. You WILL NOT be accepted.

Some people, IF THEY APPLY EARLY, will have success with similar stats to yours. HOWEVER, these people are accepted to their low-tier state schools. These low-tier state schools are often heavily invested in primary care, and do not place as much emphasis (if at all) on research. Your application seems to convey a great interest in research. So, in addition to having low stats, you will not fit the missions to the schools that you'd even have a chance at.

Sorry bud, kiss that $750 goodbye. Go ahead and start looking for master's programs.

LOL

Sorry, my 95 percentile (12) in PS and 10 in BS make me a mediocre student? Just because I don't speak this arbitrary language English as you do and so scored a 6 (actually due to time-management) at VR which native speakers usually can't overcome? Why don't you do VR in another language then, haha? Grow up, you ethnocentric ignorant person.

I find it laughable that you try to insult my intelligence.

For not speaking English fluently you have articulated your excuses for you failures very well. But you will continue to make excuses because that is in your nature. You're a grade-A loser. You should be proud of that. It is something you excel in for once! Keep up the good work. But if you choose one day to realize that you aren't as great as you thought you were, I will applaud you for your humility. But until then you will be an idiot that cannot overcome their pride. Grow up, it will help yourself and those who have to interact with you immensely.

I find it laughable that you try to insult my intelligence.

For not speaking English fluently you have articulated your excuses for you failures very well. But you will continue to make excuses because that is in your nature. You're a grade-A loser. You should be proud of that. It is something you excel in for once! Keep up the good work. But if you choose one day to realize that you aren't as great as you thought you were, I will applaud you for your humility. But until then you will be an idiot that cannot overcome their pride. Grow up, it will help yourself and those who have to interact with you immensely.

I never insulted your intelligence, if you read my posts. I just defended mine :confused: when you out of nowhere called me "stupid" and that my higher-ranked university doesn't make me smarter (donno why that's relevant)... You have some self-esteem issues. You're...jealous/intimidated of people who went to higher ranked universities and have to keep trying to demonstrate that they're less smart than you (denying factual grade deflation too)? Why?

What you don't understand is people are not trying to insult you. Me for example, obviously I am not trying to discourage people from applying, I only applied to osteopathic schools and I have already been accepted. I want to make you realize (in case you are being 100% serious, not sure if you are yet) that if you go to an interview with this attitude you are setting yourself up for failure. No one wants to be associated with a guy who feels hes superior to all of those around him. No one is going to want to put up with that. In med school no one cares about your MCAT or SAT scores. Or your ivy league research. It means nothing to your fellow classmates, and if that's how you start conversations you won't make many allies in med school. I mean I had to roll my eyes at some of the stuff you said because I am not sure if you are being serious or not. A lot of people gave you good advice. They are not trying to discourage you to apply because you are competition. Tbh, a 6 on a subsection could possibly be an appkiller. I'm sure a lot of people in this thread are super applicants, me and you aren't in that group. But I was more than happy to get an acceptance at a school I really liked and pursue the DO route. So my advice to you, tone it down. Next year once you fix your mcat you may be in a much better spot. But like some have said, a 3.3 is still a 3.3. I hate when people say "organic chem is so much harder at this school than another school". Why? Do they teach different reactions from school to school? lol.

I will still apply.

Go ahead and apply, nobody is stopping you.

Most of you just want less competition (hypocrites). Yes, UofT is tougher than the other Canadian unis (it's proven in every way, and only liars deny it (people from easier schools)
This is the only reason why I felt obliged to call you out on your false claim. There is no way to prove U of T is tougher than other schools in Canada, unless you've attended and taken classes at all of the thousands of programs and universities across Canada. There is no objective way to measure difficulty; it is all subjective. You talk about misguidance and arrogance, but you're the one here who is making claims that U of T is supposedly the hardest university ever. Has the thought not crossed your mind that there may be potential pre-meds browsing this forum who are considering U of T for their undergrad that may be misguided by your claims? We all understand that U of T is hard, but it's certainly not impossible to excel there, and it certainly cannot be used as an excuse for having a poor GPA.

go to **** you ignorant fellow Canadian from that Northern school that has a ridiculously easy class, oh wait, you didn't do Physical Education? Okay). English is my second language (if I had a lousy 9 on VR, my score would have been a 31). I have an astonishing upward trend at a deflating school (3.5 is top 10%) too. I don't even care about convincing you guys specifically.
Badmouthing your (future) colleagues is a breach of professionalism. I'll leave it at that.

Tests differ between schools as they differ between profs, competition, and fixed averages (C+ vs B).

I'm not more superior, I'm equal to every person here in potential. I just DO different things. That's the only difference between me and others.

I expect my 3.78 3rd year and 3.3 cGPA to work fine together with 12PS,10BS, research, and strong leadership, being instate too...?

I never insulted your intelligence, if you read my posts. I just defended mine :confused: when you out of nowhere called me "stupid" and that my higher-ranked university doesn't make me smarter (donno why that's relevant)... You have some self-esteem issues. You're...jealous/intimidated of people who went to higher ranked universities and have to keep trying to demonstrate that they're less smart than you (denying factual grade deflation too)? Why?

When you claim that we are hypocrites, scared of how great your application is, and that we are trying to discourage you from applying, you will tend to get fiery responses. I never called you stupid, I called you a mediocre student. Which you are. You have a 3.3 gpa and a 28 MCAT.

To OP, we're not advising against applying because of reapplicant "stigma" or anything like that. It's because, as those of who are further along in the process know, it's a hugely expensive endeavor in both time and money. We don't want you to waste either if you don't have to. Good luck.

Tests differ between schools as they differ between profs, competition, and fixed averages (C+ vs B).

I'm not more superior, I'm equal to every person here in potential. I just DO different things. That's the only difference between me and others.

I expect my 3.78 3rd year and 3.3 cGPA to work fine together with 12PS,10BS, research, and strong leadership, being instate too...?

true, but you are learning the essentially the same stuff. chances are if you master the material at one school youll have it mastered at another.

When you claim that we are hypocrites, scared of how great your application is, and that we are trying to discourage you from applying, you will tend to get fiery responses. I never called you stupid, I called you a mediocre student. Which you are. You have a 3.3 gpa and a 28 MCAT.

You can insult me in as many ways as you want that will look innocent, go ahead and call me a "less intelligent person" if you'd like since that is not the same word as "stupid" lol. Your sly attacks don't hide your meanings. Hypocrites are worse.

Last edited:
true, but you are learning the essentially the same stuff. chances are if you master the material at one school youll have it mastered at another.

Stop talking out your a**. Seriously, please.

Are you saying that there is no real difference in grading between universities (probably because you go to an easy one)? Please be straightforward; I am.

Are you stating that being the top 5% at my university (3.7, the A MINUS) should be just as difficult as being the top 15% at another (3.7)? Seriously, is that what you mean?

You can insult me in as many ways as you want that will look innocent, go ahead and call me a "less intelligent person" if you'd like since that is not the same word as "stupid" lol. Your sly attacks don't hide your meanings. Hypocrites are worse.

I am a hypocrite for trying to point out the obvious to a clearly delusional person... right.

Status
Not open for further replies.