Which UK medical schools are well known in U.S/Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, as I am a 4th year and will be heading over to the U.S next month for 4 months of electives.

are UK med students well received in the States, in terms of quality/reputation?

Any specific schools that turn program directors' heads (apart from the big guns Cambridge/Oxford)? Will 2nd tier schools such as UCL, Imperial, Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh get a good reception?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
woops, I apologize. I am not sure about UK med schools, most of the users here are interested/attending Irish schools. However, I would like to see an answer to your question.

I don't think admissions look at med schools in particular. They know Western Europe has a better education than say Caribbeans. But if your university is from the top 100 and has a reputable name then that's a plus. A graduate from our school interviews people for residency in the US and she told us that they look at which school you go to/do your electives in.

I agree....thats why I'm curious as to which schools (apart from Cambridge/Oxford) have a solid reputation in the states?

Although from my experiences in Philly, the British schools are highly regarded, as I personally know surgeons that have even gone to the UK to do fellowships (ie. Joel Cooper, thoracic surgeon who did world's first lung transplant and is now chief at UPenn, did his fellowship in thoracic surgery in Bristol, England...after his Harvard residency)

But I'm curious if British schools are clumped together, or if there are certain schools that stick out in Americans' minds...

I don't think admissions look at med schools in particular. They know Western Europe has a better education than say Caribbeans. But if your university is from the top 100 and has a reputable name then that's a plus. A graduate from our school interviews people for residency in the US and she told us that they look at which school you go to/do your electives in.

I agree....thats why I'm curious as to which schools (apart from Cambridge/Oxford) have a solid reputation in the states?

Although from my experiences in Philly, the British schools are highly regarded, as I personally know surgeons that have even gone to the UK to do fellowships (ie. Joel Cooper, thoracic surgeon who did world's first lung transplant and is now chief at UPenn, did his fellowship in thoracic surgery in Bristol, England...after his Harvard residency)

But I'm curious if British schools are clumped together, or if there are certain schools that stick out in Americans' minds...

The ones that would stick out are mostly big name schools like Cambridge/Oxford, and the ones that have many international students that go back to the US. Not sure about the other UK schools.

Hi,

I wouldn't classify UCL and Imperial as "second tier"....Cambridge/Oxford are excellent and have name recognition, but I would say that any of the University of London med schools (and the teaching hospitals connected to them) would be equally recognised in the US. Keep in mind that many Oxbridge med students end up doing their clinical studies in London Hospitals. Kings always has an Oxford cohort join in 3rd year.

Kings College London (Guy's, St. Thomas' and King's College Hospitals)
Barts & the London (St. Bart's Hosp, The Royal London, Great Ormond Street, Royal Marsden)
UCL
Imperial
St Georges

I did electives in New York, Toronto and Alberta and the docs were well aware of Kings.

Cheers, Jane