Which States allow you to take exam right out of school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

korry1977

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which states allow you to take the USMLE Step 3 right out of school...

I am US citizen IMG and will have my ECFMG certificate in a couple of weeks..

Thanks for all the help,
Korry

Members don't see this ad.

Just register through a state like California or Connecticut. You dont actually have to live there. or even step foot in the state. Just register through one of those states, then take it wherever you want.

i hear indiana too.

to teh poster above. are you serious? you dont have to step foot on there? so if i'm from illinois, and only indiana offers this...i just have to register through them..not actually go there?
thanks

is there any advantage to taking the usmle step3 outside of your state (ie having another state sponsor you to take the exam?) say for example you live in illinois, but had CA sponsor your test. does that mean that once you pass step3, you are eligible to practice in both CA and IL as opposed to just IL ?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
is there any advantage to taking the usmle step3 outside of your state (ie having another state sponsor you to take the exam?) say for example you live in illinois, but had CA sponsor your test. does that mean that once you pass step3, you are eligible to practice in both CA and IL as opposed to just IL ?

thanks

1) No, you dont ever have to set foot in Indiana to register through the Indiana state board, nor do you have to take the test there once you've registered.
From the FSMB FAQ section:
8. Does it matter where I take the Step 3 exam?

No. While you will sit Step 3 under the eligibility requirements of a specific licensing authority, you can take the exam at any Prometric test center in the United States or its territories.

9. Do I have to take Step 3 for the medical board of the state where I reside?

No. While many people do this, it is not required.

2) Once you pass Step 3, you can use that for any of the 50 states licensing boards. Of course, each state has their own further requirements and fees in order to be licensed in that state.