Which School is better for OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbhatt87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just got into Buffalo, Indiana, and Michigan. I am interested in doing OMFS and was wondering which school would be better for me in pursuing such a specialty.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I just got into Buffalo, Indiana, and Michigan. I am interested in doing OMFS and was wondering which school would be better for me in pursuing such a specialty.

Gary "GED = Good Enough Diploma" Ruska here,

This is not an uncommon question and certainly a reasonable one. The answer, fortunately, is quite simple: the best school for those interested in pursuing OMFS is the one that will allow you the best chances of becoming an OMFS.

What exactly does this mean?

To be a good candidate for OMFS (or any other specialty for that matter), you generally require the following: a) academic performance that makes you a competitive candidate , b) an interest in the specialty and c) extracurricular activities that highlight your non-academic skills.

For (a), you need to go to a school where you will be happy. It is very hard to perform at the top of your game when you are unhappy. Choose the school where you like the people the best, feel that the curriculum is the best fit for you and will likely be the least stressed. Dental school is no joke and can be painful at times. Aim to minimize that pain, as best as you can, by picking a school that syncs with your learning habits and social desires. This is the most important factor in choosing a school (b and c are much, much, much less critical, since you may not become an OMFS, either by choice or otherwise). Long story short: go where you it will cost you the least to be the happiest.

For (b), it helps to go to a dental school with an OMFS program, but this is not essential, since all OMFS applicants do externships. However, it is critical that you find out what OMFS is about (hint: it ain't just wisdom teeth and implants and it is much more than simply a super-charged version of perio), for two reasons. First, to confirm that you want to spend 4-6 years of your life pursuing grueling, often thankless, work to do everything an OMFS can do. Second, to make yourself known to the OMFS faculty at your school so that they can be your advocates during application time. GR doesn't know much about Indiana's program, but Michigan is an excellent OMFS program and Buffalo is okay.

For (c), almost all schools have activities that highlight the relevant leadership and group-work qualities that are necessary to succeed in OMFS. However, schools with strong basic- or clinical-research programs, particularly in fields either directly or indirectly related to OMFS, will give you a good sense of what the "science" side of the specialty is about and where the specialty is headed in terms of clinical advances. Again, not essential, as you can get similar information from just reading the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Journal of Craniofacial Surgery or the cosmetic and craniofacial sections of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.

Great advice Gary. Could you provide me with any "hear-say" about going to Louisville and it's opportunities in OMFS like explained above? Thanks for any advice rendered!

The correct answer when choosing between dental schools is to go wherever it is cheapest taking Cost of living + tuition/fees into account.