which rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctmedman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just a few days at the end of my MSIII year and just recently decided to pursue a surgical type residency rather than internal medicine. I trying to get some expsosure to Ortho during my 1 week off before 4th yr and was told that I would be able to see only one service.

Choices are: trauma, spine, foot & ankle or total joint

Which one of these would you suggest? The only ortho type exposure I've gotten is an AKA revision done by GenSurg.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would say trauma or joints. An elective in arthroplasty was what got me into ortho-big surgeries with saws-perfect. Once I got the saw in my hands on a total knee I was hooked. Trauma would have good variety but you will probably spend alot of time in the emerg. Try to avoid clinic for both trauma/joints-very boring.

Spine keeners are a breed of their own. Most people don't really love it. Plus, you'll be craning your head to look into an itsy bitsy hole. Foot and ankle is interesting, but I'm a fan of the big surgeries.

Best bet is to ask some of the ortho residents at your school.

Cheers

Trauma. Generally busy, and if you help the team, the residents really like you. At my school, M4s generally get preference for the trauma service, and it's known that the trauma and sports/joints services are the busiest (and best for M4s going into ortho).

I had trauma as an M3; it was my busiest but best month in clinicals so far.

You'll get good exposure in trauma or joints as mentioned above. Good luck.