Which research mentor for recommend letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeloFELO3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying for research internships at other institutions/programs, and trying notify my selected professors for referances/LOR.

Here is the situation. I am currently in a organic synthesis research laboratory working under the guidance of my organic chemistry professor who is good friends with the PI of the lab who is the Robert Welch chair of the department, a editor of Tetrahedron Letters, and has a very good academic reputation in the world of organic chemistry.

Due to the fact that the PI of the lab is usually busy with so many other things, I do not get much contact from him (but I am slowly building a better relationship with him). I am much closer to my actual mentor in lab who has plenty of experience from industry work.

So when providing the summer undergraduate programs a LOR from a research mentor, who should I go with? My in-the-lab research mentor, or the PI? I think both recommendations would be strong due to various points, but I was curious what matters for applications, the prestige of the scientist/professor (both have PhDs) or the depth of the relationship I have with him?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar position when I was applying to medical schools. I recommend having the person with whom you have a closer relationship write the letter. In this case, your orgo professor would be able to precisely highlight the qualities which make you a competent researcher, and more importantly, be able to support those claims with specific examples.

Consider asking your mentor if he is comfortable writing the letter for you and having the PI sign off on it. If not, just go with your mentor.