Which places required ACLS for away rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasonBlue

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school only ever required/provided BLS training. I was really interested in doing an away rotation at Wayne state, but just found out they require ACLS certification.

Idk if that's a rare requirement, and if no one else is going to ask me for it then it probably isn't worth it do fork over 100s of dollars and struggle through finding an class that works with my schedule.

Does anyone know of other sites that ask visiting students to have ACLS?

Edit: For the record, this requirement wasn't clearly stated anywhere on VSLO/the school website, I found out about it after I paid the application fee and got immediately rejected. Which makes me nervous other programs might have it as like, a hidden requirement.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’d argue to just do it. You’re gonna need it for most residencies. You could email your school and see if they can drop you into a class for free (highly likely, they usually have these all the time for staff and nurses) or just pay $159 for online that you can do anytime you want. See photo.

4E9228DA-ECEB-4ED6-8238-E6DAC29FB28C.png

I’d argue to just do it. You’re gonna need it for most residencies. You could email your school and see if they can drop you into a class for free (highly likely, they usually have these all the time for staff and nurses) or just pay $159 for online that you can do anytime you want. See photo.

View attachment 368274
Before doing an online (non-AHA) ACLS, I would confirm that the hospital will take this version of the certificate

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately I already checked if I could do it through our school/hospitals free program (RQI) and I got a hard no. Which is really annoying since they have the training available, but they just wont give me access to the class I guess? I might push them on that idk.

I guess if I did do ACLS now it would last till I start residency... but I hear that normally your residency program would pay for whatever certs they require. Its still a hard sell for me.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
You should ask them about it. Usually ACLS is not required for med students to do away rotations. Some places will accept BLS when you ask because it's such a non-issue. You're not going to be running codes as a subI.

You should ask them about it. Usually ACLS is not required for med students to do away rotations. Some places will accept BLS when you ask because it's such a non-issue. You're not going to be running codes as a subI.

Yeah, I thought it was a really dumb requirement! I wasn't brave enough to consider just asking them to let it slide. But I probably should do that rather than just giving up on rotating there, I have nothing to lose by asking.

Yeah, I thought it was a really dumb requirement! I wasn't brave enough to consider just asking them to let it slide. But I probably should do that rather than just giving up on rotating there, I have nothing to lose by asking.

Well, depending how you ask, you could have something to lose. Obviously if you ask in a rude or entitled manner (not saying that you will), you could get blacklisted down the line. But yes, asking in a professional manner won't lose you any points and might net you that away rotation.