Which of these job offers would you take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldsummer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
done

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just based on what you've posted, the mandatory midlevel supervision and 24/7 call would kill deal #2 for me.

Deal #1 sounds OK, although the year-to-year contract length bothers me, as does the lack of a non-compete. IMO, this suggests a revolving door situation. Have you asked about turnover?

Reactions: 1 user
Deal #1 sounds OK, although the year-to-year contract length bothers me, as does the lack of a non-compete. IMO, this suggests a revolving door situation. Have you asked about turnover?

#1 is a big academic center that up until recently has not had primary care, so this is a new initiative and all their providers have been there no more than about 1 year, so we don't know about turnover yet.

However, I do get the impression that their attitude is gonna be "don't like it? then leave" type of thing....So I think you may be right. What is the concern with big turnover?
I guess i felt like for the first job, #1 would allow me to get the experience and also let me step away when I want without much of a penalty... especially since some other contracts basically make it devastating financially if you try to quit or work in the same area after the term if over. Maybe this is naive way to think about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
#1 is a big academic center that up until recently has not had primary care, so this is a new initiative and all their providers have been there no more than about 1 year, so we don't know about turnover yet.

However, I do get the impression that their attitude is gonna be "don't like it? then leave" type of thing....So I think you may be right. What is the concern with big turnover?
I guess i felt like for the first job, #1 would allow me to get the experience and also let me step away when I want without much of a penalty... especially since some other contracts basically make it devastating financially if you try to quit or work in the same area after the term if over. Maybe this is naive way to think about it?

Yep I agree with you about #1. Two of my friends said should try to negotiate 1 year contract when first start out. That way you can get a feel for things and then at the end of the year re-negotiate in your favor if you want to stay. I think job 1 definitely has more benefits.

And yes it would suck to get fired, but there are plenty of jobs out there. I’d much rather take that risk then sign a contract that’s a mandatory 3 years and potentially be miserable half way in and unable to leave.

What's the concern about high turnover/revolving door? That either, a) the job sucks, or b) they don't give a **** about you, or both. Think "commodity/cannon fodder."

Yep I agree with you about #1. Two of my friends said should try to negotiate 1 year contract when first start out. That way you can get a feel for things and then at the end of the year re-negotiate in your favor if you want to stay. I think job 1 definitely has more benefits.

And yes it would suck to get fired, but there are plenty of jobs out there. I’d much rather take that risk then sign a contract that’s a mandatory 3 years and potentially be miserable half way in and unable to leave.

Yeah that's been on my mind. Having that exit door there with no legal obligation to stay if they switch things up or make it miserable feels more comforting mentally. The other place locks you in for 3 years with no way out other than complete financial ruin (~500-700k) if you quit, and so if they switch things up or make it miserable I'm stuck.
Is it gonna be that bad at either place? Probably not.
Is it easy to just up and leave and start up again somewhere else? Probably not.
But.... for the first job...I'm thinking its best..

What's the concern about high turnover/revolving door? That either, a) the job sucks, or b) they don't give a **** about you, or both. Think "commodity/cannon fodder."

I gotcha. And I do think #1 doesn't really care about any one physician. They're too big. However... A big institution that has a non-compete might be doing it just to ensure they get 3 years out of a physician right? They don't necessarily care about the physician either, and turnover rate may be high too.

I took the noncompete as they think what they have to offer is good and therefore their docs wont want to leave. But maybe its more just that they don't care/don't market their physicians/not really invested/anticipate a super high turnover rate and thus they feel its not worth pursuing...

Idk...the first job out of residency is a tough decision...

i wouldn't sign any contract with a non-compete clause just on principle. If you put in 3 years somewhere, they've made money on you. After that it should be entirely up to you where you work and how you practice. Also being on call 24/7 sounds horrible. You need to talk to providers who work at both of these places and see what is really going on. Call their clinic, talk to their MA, say you are thinking about taking a position and you'd like to get 5 minutes with one of the providers. They'll talk to you and tell you whats up.

I'd do #1. I don't believe in non-compete or commuting so I'd want to get a job somewhere else in the area if it didn't work out.