Which military branch to join and why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which branch would you join to become a "medic"?

• Army

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Navy

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Airforce

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fpr85

"newbie"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't quite understand the advatages/disadvantages between the three branches in terms of benefits/which is better. Suppose you want to enlist as a medic and then hope to have that branch pay for your undergrad or med school costs, which branch is the best? Which has the nicest lifestyle in terms of travel and overall living conditions? Obviously this will be a bit biased, but let's hear it anyhow.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

fpr85 said:
I don't quite understand the advatages/disadvantages between the three branches in terms of benefits/which is better. Suppose you want to enlist as a medic and then hope to have that branch pay for your undergrad or med school costs, which branch is the best? Which has the nicest lifestyle in terms of travel and overall living conditions? Obviously this will be a bit biased, but let's hear it anyhow.
Thanks.

Strictly in terms of benefits. If you want lifetstyle, living conditions as well as good training join the AF. The Navy has pretty much the hardest lifestyle and living conditions amongst all the branches. The Army is somewhere in between.

fpr85 said:
Thanks.

That's exactly what I did. I enlisted in the AF as a medic, did 3 years AD, then was accepted to med school and HPSP. I would have to agree that the AF has the best lifestyle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, how about in terms of benefits -- which branch?

USNavdoc, why did you choose the navy; and cdreed why did you choose the AF? What was so appealing to you when you spoke to the recruiters? I've spoken with both an Army and Navy recruiter, have not yet spoken with the AF.
Thanks again.

fpr85 said:
Ok, how about in terms of benefits -- which branch?

USNavdoc, why did you choose the navy; and cdreed why did you choose the AF? What was so appealing to you when you spoke to the recruiters? I've spoken with both an Army and Navy recruiter, have not yet spoken with the AF.
Thanks again.

I chose Navy b/c of past family history. I didnt even look at other programs to be honest. For me I thought I needed assistance with paying for med school as you mention. I know now there are other means that allow you better options. But I dont regret my decisions now either.

The Navy for enlisted folks and officers for that matter is a hard lifestyle. When a ship deploys the work schedule is 24/7. You will work 16 hours per day and sleep 8 for the length of the deployment.

If you are assigned to the Marines as a Corpsmen then essentiually you joined the Marines.

Therefor If I were interested in lifestyle I would look at the AF. The AF has much nicer bases and enlisted housing than the army or Navy.

Thanks, I PM'd you.

usnavdoc said:
I chose Navy b/c of past family history. I didnt even look at other programs to be honest. For me I thought I needed assistance with paying for med school as you mention. I know now there are other means that allow you better options. But I dont regret my decisions now either.

The Navy for enlisted folks and officers for that matter is a hard lifestyle. When a ship deploys the work schedule is 24/7. You will work 16 hours per day and sleep 8 for the length of the deployment.

If you are assigned to the Marines as a Corpsmen then essentiually you joined the Marines.

Therefor If I were interested in lifestyle I would look at the AF. The AF has much nicer bases and enlisted housing than the army or Navy.

For those of you that voted Army if you could please chime in. I've heard from the Navy and AF so far. :)

Army has the largest number of GME positions, also (I think) the largest number of HPSP / USUHS slots.

Larger # of GME positions = better chance of getting what you want.

Also, the Navy is restricting the GME opportunities - as of about 2 years ago they decided they didn't want any more pediatricians (!!!!), so will be cutting those residencies. I hope they reversed that silly decision, perhaps our moderator (a peds resident at NCC) has better info on that trend than I do.

The AF and NAVY still rely somewhat heavily on GMOs, so you have a chance of having your GME interrupted after your internship - the army still has a few, but a much smaller proportion of GMOs (some may disagree about this).

As far as pay and benefits go, they are by law equal amongst the three services.