Which Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priyanka

Neuro-tic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could you guys list the preferences of your respective med schools and why? Oh and also mention which med school has the largest # of desis. Being in San Diego I am a little bored of being with the non desis you know. There are quite a few desis at UCSD , but i guess people are too busy to socialize. The indian club website still has last quarters stuff on it! bleh!

Members don't see this ad.

Check out MSAR. It has # of Indians in all med schools. UIC has the highest number of Indians (56). U might have a shot because they do take few Californians each year, but the tuition for out of staters is ~$50,000. Tats right almost 50 grants!

Drexel is second (~40).

IllinoisStudent said:
Check out MSAR. It has # of Indians in all med schools. UIC has the highest number of Indians (56). U might have a shot because they do take few Californians each year, but the tuition for out of staters is ~$50,000. Tats right almost 50 grants!

Drexel is second (~40).

Hey thanks Illinoistudent,
No doubt u love your Uni. Yea the fee is ridiculous, well lets see how things work out....
chow

Members don't see this ad :)
nah..I don't go to UIC. atleast not yet. maybe for med school.
Illinois just refers to the state.

lol.. I have to admit that I'm guilty of using the MSAR to select schools as well. Though I did apply to the schools with lots of Indians too, I was more interested in knowing which schools accepted no Indians last year... I didn't bother applying to those.

South Alabama, Drew, Hawaii, Duluth, North Dakota, New Mexico, Brown, South Dakota, Utah, and the Puerto Rico schools

As I said once in another thread, the chances are that Indians haven't yet extended their influence in these areas! A lot of them are state schools too... But what I wonder is if it's possible that a couple of these schools purposefully didn't accept Indian students.... Maybe hidden racism?

MD Rapper said:
lol.. I have to admit that I'm guilty of using the MSAR to select schools as well. Though I did apply to the schools with lots of Indians too, I was more interested in knowing which schools accepted no Indians last year... I didn't bother applying to those.

South Alabama, Drew, Hawaii, Duluth, North Dakota, New Mexico, Brown, South Dakota, Utah, and the Puerto Rico schools

As I said once in another thread, the chances are that Indians haven't yet extended their influence in these areas! A lot of them are state schools too... But what I wonder is if it's possible that a couple of these schools purposefully didn't accept Indian students.... Maybe hidden racism?

I highly doubt its racism. The list of schools you posted are predominantely state schools and the population of indians in those states is probably not very high. So its just a matter of probability. Drew only has a class of 24 and even though its a california state school it highly favors URMs.

YSM (Yale School of Medicine) has quite a few Indians. In fact, last year the first and second years organized a spectacular Diwali show. My student hosts were organizing it, so I saw first hand the camaraderie between the Indian students. :)

Other schools that I recall having large Indian populations were Feinberg, UCLA, and to a smaller extent Harvard.

BTW, I would talk to students at the particular schools to ascertain the level of social networking/friendliness among the Indians. My school (albeit, smaller in class size) has a fairly disjointed Indian community.

On a side note, you should be more concerned with the location of the school.

-Harps

Hi guys,
I'm new here, My name is Suriya. How is everyone doing? :)

Suriya said:
Hi guys,
I'm new here, My name is Suriya. How is everyone doing? :)

Welcome to the India forum suriya! :)

IllinoisStudent said:

Drexel is second (~40).

where in MSAR does it say that? I didn't think it broke it down this specifically by ethnicity.

aww welcome suriya ! :D

DoctorMalki said:
where in MSAR does it say that? I didn't think it broke it down this specifically by ethnicity.

Dr. malki which would be a good place to buy a latest edition of the MSAR? a random bookstore?

priyanka said:
Dr. malki which would be a good place to buy a latest edition of the MSAR? a random bookstore?

you might wanna try ebay/half.com before you go to the bookstore. They might be cheaper there and you can find maybe a used copy of the latest MSAr . Also check the UCSD medical school bookstore, they usually have end of the quarter book sales or end of the year book sales and they sell them a lot cheaper. I ordered mine from the AMCAS website but it was a mistake because they charge you for shipping and you pay full price.
Also if you are taking the april MCAT i think in the registration they give you a coupon for 10$ off or something like that. so if you are not in a hurry to get it then i would suggest you wait till you register for the MCATs ( which should be soon if you are taking the Aril MCAT, i think registration starts in jan? ) Let me know if you have any more questions :)