Which MCAT is Easier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookHero20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Ive heard that the April is easier than the August and I was wondering if there is any validation to these statements

I also heard from many of my friends who took the last April was that it was really hard...how is that going to be an indicator for the August?

Members don't see this ad.

Hard versus easy depends only on which form of the test you get, and how well your preparation matches the subjects on that form. It's really all perception; when the scaled scores are computed, all variations of hard versus easy are evened out. It is certainly possible, however, to get "lucky" or "unlucky" in matching your strengths to what's being tested. For example, if you get a test form that's heavy on organic chemistry, you had better be good at organic chemistry!

ComicBookHero:

If you want a detailed explanation from an MCAT staff herself concerning the difficulty of the April versus August MCAT, I woud really suggest going to www.e-mcat.com. Once you register there, go into the general Q&A forum and on page 2 you will find the topic "predetermined curve." Click that, and I believe that will help answer your question. (It's a rather long post which is why I'm referring you there, and she refers you to some other web pages as well). Hope that helps!

There isn't a diff. between April and August. From what I know, the average scores are pretty much equivalent and roughly the same number of people write in both sittings.

I agree witht the poster above--how difficult you perceive your test to be will depend on how prepared you are to deal with the topics on the form you get.

Members don't see this ad :)
the MCAT itself (the actual, physical test booklet) is no harder or easier in april or august. as people have said, different forms may play to your strengths or weaknesses. it just depends.

one thing i *have* heard, though, is that in order to reach some sort of homogenous average between the two test administrations, the curve in august is a little bit more generous than the curve in april. theoretically, this would be due to a "weaker" test group that is comprised of retakers (due to poor previous performance, poor test-taking skills, whatever) and those who wanted to take it in april but did not feel that they had adequately prepared themselves by the time the test date rolled around (and may not have adequately prepared again).

i'm not trying to pass this off as fact, though. its really just the compiled speculation from the many test-takers i've talked to.