which interviews to go on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A descent into hell? Absolutely. Although perhaps you meant "decent."

Aww, man. I was JUST about to make this same joke.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I'm having a hard time deciding too. Here's my situation:
-from Texas so likely to go on all TX interviews but also ok with moving away
-definitely interested in fellowship. current interests are GI > H/O

Texas: UT-Houston, Baylor Houston, Methodist Houston, UTMB, UTHSCSA, Baylor Dallas and UTSW

Out of state: Wash U, Vandy, Emory, MUSC, GW, Georgetown, UVA, BU, UPenn, UPitt, UChicago, Rush, Mayo Roch, U Mich, UWisc

Definitely canceling: Vandy, Emory, MUSC

Questioning: GW, Georgetown, Rush

I definitely need to get the number of interviews down... I don't consider the "local" in-state interviews to be a problem because travel expenses are so low. However, booking flights and hotels is definitely getting pricey. I am still hoping to hear from UWash and Northwestern but I'm not holding my breath at this point. Also applied to MGH and JHH/JHH-Bayview but they aren't high on my list right now. Any suggestions??

Texas: UT-Houston, Baylor Houston, Methodist Houston, UTMB, UTHSCSA, Baylor Dallas and UTSW

Out of state: Wash U, Vandy, Emory, MUSC, GW, Georgetown, UVA, BU, UPenn, UPitt, UChicago, Rush, Mayo Roch, U Mich, UWisc

I definitely need to get the number of interviews down... I don't consider the "local" in-state interviews to be a problem because travel expenses are so low. However, booking flights and hotels is definitely getting pricey. I am still hoping to hear from UWash and Northwestern but I'm not holding my breath at this point. Also applied to MGH and JHH/JHH-Bayview but they aren't high on my list right now. Any suggestions??

Do you really like DC or something? From what I'm hearing on these forums, GTown and GW are subpar programs, especially when compared with the other ones you got lined up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you really like DC or something? From what I'm hearing on these forums, GTown and GW are subpar programs, especially when compared with the other ones you got lined up.

Not particularly. Already made flight arrangements and am going to have to pay to cancel/change so I'm having a hard time with that. BUT it might be worth a call to see what the $ penalty is going to be.

Not particularly. Already made flight arrangements and am going to have to pay to cancel/change so I'm having a hard time with that. BUT it might be worth a call to see what the $ penalty is going to be.

Ah gotcha. I think it's like 90-100 bucks to cancel or switch, but unless you think you actually want to go to those programs, that fee is less than what you would spend overall going to DC.

You're crazy to cancel Vandy but I can't argue with ditching MUSC and Emory is +/-. Getting rid of GW, GT and Rush are good ideas as well. GT has a very good GI program but I think picking a residency program simply because of a fellowship plan is bad planning. YMMV of course.

You're crazy to cancel Vandy but I can't argue with ditching MUSC and Emory is +/-. Getting rid of GW, GT and Rush are good ideas as well. GT has a very good GI program but I think picking a residency program simply because of a fellowship plan is bad planning. YMMV of course.

Yeah, I had a feeling I was going to get a lot of questions regarding canceling vandy but the spouse has veto'd Tennessee. Otherwise, it would definitely stay on my list.

Spouses can be crazy people. I didn't allow my spouse to veto any options for training, because it's MY career, and I only get one shot at training. But I'm difficult to live with sometimes. Pick your battles, right?

Now that I know that you're not really a crazy person and simply being considerate. No reason, based on your list to go to GW, GT, or Rush. Cancel them. And if "Baylor" Dallas gets in the way of any other interviews, don't be afraid to cut it.

Yeah, I had a feeling I was going to get a lot of questions regarding canceling vandy but the spouse has veto'd Tennessee. Otherwise, it would definitely stay on my list.

I only let my wife comment on programs/cities AFTER she came with me to the interviews. She came to most of them and vetoed places I was surprised by.

The way we worked it out in the end was that I got to choose all the places that I would rank, including the top 5. I got to choose #1, she got to choose 2 and 3, I got 4 and 5 and then we alternated picking places until we ran out of the 15 or so places on my list.

I was also uber-impressed by UAB when I interviewed, so long as you can get over Birmingham.

Tulane is a good program, they do some innovative stuff and education is prioritized. If you don't like NOLA, you have no soul :)

Agree friends don't let friends go to UTSW. Tough program. You won't be as much of a hardass a year from now as you think. Texas itself (the big cities anyway) isn't thaaaaat bad if you can get over the Texans: low cost of living, great food, very cosmopolitan.

Hey, I think it is awesome you are considering your spouse's needs and preferences in this process. I don't want to start a flame, so I won't say much. I just wanted you to know there is at least one person out there who agrees. I like to think your career/life will be better for it in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I think it is awesome you are considering your spouse's needs and preferences in this process. I don't want to start a flame, so I won't say much. I just wanted you to know there is at least one person out there who agrees. I like to think your career/life will be better for it in the long run.

Definitely agree. Happy wife = happy life. =)

I don't want to start a flame war either, but I think it is INSANE that someone who loves you would ask you to NOT train in the best location for your career simply because they wouldn't like it. Residency is three short years.

My husband told me up front that we would go anywhere that I need to go for great training. He is willing to sacrifice his career to follow me, so the least that I can do is accomodate some of his wishes. He didn't demand that TN was out, but it was lowest on his list. Frankly, he hasn't pushed hard at it either. He has been EXTREMELY flexible. So, when trying to make a decision on where NOT to interview, it got cut. I know that it is an awesome institution. I know that I am missing out on the potential to train there, but it's a sacrifice that I'm willing to make. Afterall, the choice to move doesn't just affect me. I'm pretty certain that I can get great training somewhere other than Vandy. Besides, he has put up with all of my $hit/stress/bad moods/step studying over the last few years... I think I owe him a little something ;)

My husband told me up front that we would go anywhere that I need to go for great training. He is willing to sacrifice his career to follow me, so the least that I can do is accomodate some of his wishes. He didn't demand that TN was out, but it was lowest on his list. Frankly, he hasn't pushed hard at it either. He has been EXTREMELY flexible. So, when trying to make a decision on where NOT to interview, it got cut. I know that it is an awesome institution. I know that I am missing out on the potential to train there, but it's a sacrifice that I'm willing to make. Afterall, the choice to move doesn't just affect me. I'm pretty certain that I can get great training somewhere other than Vandy. Besides, he has put up with all of my $hit/stress/bad moods/step studying over the last few years... I think I owe him a little something ;)

When it comes to this stuff, you can't make statements that one couple is wrong and the other is right about how they handle things. Everyone has to figure out what works for them.

I'm of the opinion that training is but a short time . . .

Now, I think if I was still unreasonable about where to practice when done, I'd be a BIG jerk. Where you live for 20-30-40 years needs to be agreed upon.

Which ones to cancel out of

Ny: ny Methodist, Nymc Richmond, Nymc sound shore

Connecticut: st Mary, danbury

Tx: utsw austin

Location is pretty important to me and I wanna stay on the West Coast bit applied to a lot of programs because I'm an IMG. These programs are all on my 'might cancel' list...any I should keep? I'm considering going to the Texas one because Austin is ok location wise.

Location is pretty important to me and I wanna stay on the West Coast bit applied to a lot of programs because I'm an IMG. These programs are all on my 'might cancel' list...any I should keep? I'm considering going to the Texas one because Austin is ok location wise.

Assuming you have a decent number of interviews otherwise (12-15) Austin is the only one I'd keep out of this list. Those NY programs are all total s***holes that should be avoided at all costs. Danbury and St. Mary's are both tolerably mediocre but IIRC you have some pretty good interviews elsewhere that far outstrip these places.

same question i suppose!

currently i have way too many interviews but am having a ton of trouble sorting through which ones to cancel.

upcoming interviews:
jefferson, brown, montefiore, NS-LIJ, temple, SUNY downstate, umdnj-rwj, dartmouth, tufts, wash u, upitt, nyu, ohio state, case western, uva, unc

i'm leaning towards cancelling suny and rwj at the moment, but am stressing because although those are probably two of the weaker programs i'm also getting way better interviews than i expected. would hate to end up being ranked low on all of those great programs and somehow not matching at all!

also considering cancelling uva/unc simply for location issues (would rather live in a big city ideally on east coast).

thanks in advance! :)

same question i suppose!

currently i have way too many interviews but am having a ton of trouble sorting through which ones to cancel.

upcoming interviews:
jefferson, brown, montefiore, NS-LIJ, temple, SUNY downstate, umdnj-rwj, dartmouth, tufts, wash u, upitt, nyu, ohio state, case western, uva, unc

i'm leaning towards cancelling suny and rwj at the moment, but am stressing because although those are probably two of the weaker programs i'm also getting way better interviews than i expected. would hate to end up being ranked low on all of those great programs and somehow not matching at all!

also considering cancelling uva/unc simply for location issues (would rather live in a big city ideally on east coast).

NOT that it's any of my business, BUT

I was looking at your old posts (trying to figure out which school you go to) and most of your posts come from TUCOM-NY c/o 2014. How are you applying for residency this year? (I'm not doubting you, I was just wondering what school you go to w/ your interviews)...

Last edited:
actually i was a bit too lazy to create a screenname and am using my friend's instead!

but to answer your question i don't go to tucom. i attend a state allopathic md university, very no name and ho hum believe me. that's part of the reason i'm surprised and frankly a little wary at getting so many great interviews.

I would encourage you to keep the UVA and unc interviews seeing as they're in the upper half reputation wise of your interview list. Unless of course you know you're not doing a fellowship or could absolutely not live in those cities for three yrs.

same question i suppose!

upcoming interviews:

The only one I know about is UTSW austin and I didn't even bother applying....wouldn't even consider it. BUT Austin is a great city...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I hear you - my wife doesn't want to be in NYC, Philly, or Seattle, so those programs didn't get the apps... There are enough good programs out there that you can go somewhere that will make you both happy.

Say for financial reasons you could only go to 2 of 3 nyc schools: columbia, cornell, mt sinai. Which would you go on? I def will keep Columbia, but what about the others?

Say for financial reasons you could only go to 2 of 3 nyc schools: columbia, cornell, mt sinai. Which would you go on? I def will keep Columbia, but what about the others?

If I had to pick, I would say:

1. Cornell based on the better name recognition nationally and association with MSKCC

2. I THINK Cornell has better living arrangements.

any word if cornell has started sending out interviews yet?

That's a very tough call. I'd personally keep Cornell and MSSM but it's hard to call you crazy for going to Columbia. I was actually pretty underwhelmed by Cornell and ranked it a lot lower than I initially thought I would (figured it would be 1 or 2, wound up with it at 8). The MSKCC affiliation was the only thing that kept it on the list for me.

I absolutely loved MSSM (it was my #2).

How's that for totally unhelpful?

any word if cornell has started sending out interviews yet?

Not yet, but word on the street is it's coming real soon. ;)

That's a very tough call. I'd personally keep Cornell and MSSM but it's hard to call you crazy for going to Columbia. I was actually pretty underwhelmed by Cornell and ranked it a lot lower than I initially thought I would (figured it would be 1 or 2, wound up with it at 8). The MSKCC affiliation was the only thing that kept it on the list for me.

I absolutely loved MSSM (it was my #2).

How's that for totally unhelpful?

No that's actually very helpful, thanks. Sounds like Cornell is a bit overrated esp if ur not into heme/onc, might have to check out MSSM.

Can you guys help me out? I want to attend 15-18 interviews. 3 of them will definitely be Rush, UIC, and UofC NorthShore. I am mainly interested in H/O, but have a slight interest in Cards.

Emory
UVa
Mayo
Baylor
Wisconsin
UAB
Case
OSU
Cleveland Clinic
Cincinnati
Medical College of Wisconsin
Scripps Green
USC
Loma Linda
UC-Irvine
USF
Greenwich (Yale affiliate with free housing...)
Utah
MUSC
Maryland
Brown
Dartmouth
Iowa
Albert Einstein

Reach programs that I have not heard from: MGH, BWH, UCSF, Michigan, Duke, WashU, UCLA, UCSD, Penn, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, MSSM, Pitt, OHSU, BIDMC, UChicago, UTSW, Vandy, JHU

Can you guys help me out? I want to attend 15-18 interviews. 3 of them will definitely be Rush, UIC, and UofC NorthShore. I am mainly interested in H/O, but have a slight interest in Cards.

Emory
UVa
Mayo
Baylor
Wisconsin
UAB
Case
OSU
Cleveland Clinic
Cincinnati
Scripps Green
USC
Loma Linda
UC-Irvine
USF
Utah
MUSC
Maryland
Brown
Dartmouth
Iowa
Albert Einstein

Reach programs that I have not heard from: MGH, BWH, UCSF, Michigan, Duke, WashU, UCLA, UCSD, Penn, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, MSSM, Pitt, OHSU, BIDMC, UChicago, UTSW, Vandy, JHU

I'm not familiar with the South or the West coast and I didn't apply to any of those, but I would say
1. Mayo
2. Baylor
3. Wisc
4. Case
5. ClevelandClinic
6. USC
7. Maryland
8. Emory
9. Einstein
10. Brown
11-15: Save some room for schools u haven't heard from yet

Btw, is 15 the max until ppl start getting exhausted?

Not yet, but word on the street is it's coming real soon. ;)

No that's actually very helpful, thanks. Sounds like Cornell is a bit overrated esp if ur not into heme/onc, might have to check out MSSM.

If ID, Pulm or GI are areas you're intereted in, MSSM is the top NYC program (NYU is probably as good in ID as MSSM and clearly better in ICU than the others). Cornell and Columbia are both great for hem/onc and Columbia is tops in Cards. Cornell is best for housing and getting scutted out by private attendings.

Interested in Cards.

Interviews definitely going on: Yale, Northwestern, Cedars-Sinai, UWash, Boston University, Tufts, USC, Dartmouth

Have these coming up, should I attend/cancel?:

Jefferson, Temple (Applied thinking I would interview at one along with UPenn..until i got rejected that is)
University of Maryland
UNC

No Word yet:
MGH, BWH, BIDMC, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, MSSM, Duke, UMich, UCSF, JHU, UPitt, UChicago, UCSD

Rejections: UCLAA, Stanford, UPenn (I feel like 75% of the 'no word yet' category is going to reject me)

Thanks in advance!

Emory
UVa
Mayo
Baylor
Wisconsin
UAB
Case
OSU
Cleveland Clinic
Cincinnati
Scripps Green
USC
Loma Linda
UC-Irvine
USF
Utah
MUSC
Maryland
Brown
Dartmouth
Iowa
Albert Einstein

How bad do you want to go to the east coast anyway?

You actually have a SUPER nice list for a guy feeling sorry himself :smuggrin:

Interested in Cards.

Interviews definitely going on: Yale, Northwestern, Cedars-Sinai, UWash, Boston University, Tufts, USC, Dartmouth

Jefferson, Temple (Applied thinking I would interview at one along with UPenn..until i got rejected that is)
University of Maryland
UNC

No Word yet:
MGH, BWH, BIDMC, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, MSSM, Duke, UMich, UCSF, JHU, UPitt, UChicago, UCSD

Rejections: UCLAA, Stanford, UPenn (I feel like 75% of the 'no word yet' category is going to reject me)

Thanks in advance!

Cancel Jeff and Temple, go to UNC and Maryland

Cancel Jeff and Temple, go to UNC and Maryland

Jeff has pretty solid cards placement (one to penn last year and in house matches are plentiful), I'd give them a look over USC and Tufts any day. Keep UNC and UMD.

DVN, I'm liking your list but I would be wary of Greenwich, haha.

Hey Guys,

Interested in Heme/Onc
Wanting to go on about 15 as well..

For sure:
Utah
UCLA-Olive View
UCLA- Harbour
Cedar Sinai
Wisconsin
UPMC
UAB
Mayo
UVA
Scripps Green
Kaiser LA
+ 2 others including Home institution

Not sure:
Dartmouth
Virginia Mason
Georgetown
Maryland
Brown
Cleveland Clinic

Rejections:
UTSW UNC STANFORD and NWern

Haven't heard:
~15-20 upper tier programs

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I think its time to open up some interview slots for others. With that said I am looking to cancel two of the following, which would you cancel? (In general I know very little about these programs).

University of Arizona
University of New mexico
NMNDJ-robert wood
University of Baylor-dallas
UCLA-harbor

Hey Guys,

Interested in Heme/Onc

For sure:
Utah
UCLA-Olive View
UCLA- Harbour
Cedar Sinai
Wisconsin
UPMC
UAB
Mayo
UVA
Scripps Green
Kaiser LA

Not sure:
Dartmouth
Virginia Mason
Georgetown
Maryland
Brown
Cleveland Clinic

Rejections:

Haven't heard:

Any thoughts?

Go to Maryland

If you like more urban go Brown, if you like the mountains go Dartmouth

I think its time to open up some interview slots for others. With that said I am looking to cancel two of the following, which would you cancel? (In general I know very little about these programs).

University of Arizona
University of New mexico
NMNDJ-robert wood
UCLA-harbor

Get rid of "Baylor"-Dallas

NJ vs NM - you decide which area you like better and cut the other. Me? I like the desert SW much more than the east coast, especially some godforsaken hole like NJ . . . but Robert Wood probably has the academic nuts on on UNM, but not by too much.

Interested in Cards.

University of Maryland
UNC

No Word yet:

Thanks in advance!

Ditch Temple, go on the rest. If you start getting love from those other places, I'd ditch Boston University, Tufts, USC and Jeff in that order.

Hey Guys,

Interested in Heme/Onc

For sure:
Utah
UCLA-Olive View
UCLA- Harbour
Cedar Sinai
Wisconsin
UPMC
UAB
Mayo
UVA
Scripps Green
Kaiser LA

Not sure:
Dartmouth
Virginia Mason
Georgetown
Maryland
Brown
Cleveland Clinic

Rejections:

Haven't heard:

Any thoughts?

From your not sure, I am leaning towards going to: Brown>CCF>Maryland. I didn't get an invite from VM, but I would go since I love seattle. I would probably cancel GT unless you really like DC.

University of Arizona
University of New mexico
NMNDJ-robert wood
UCLA-harbor

I would definitely keep Arizona and Harbor. Then out of 3, I'd pick the location I like the best.

Get rid of "Baylor"-Dallas

NJ vs NM - you decide which area you like better and cut the other. Me? I like the desert SW much more than the east coast, especially some godforsaken hole like NJ . . . but Robert Wood probably has the academic nuts on on UNM, but not by too much.

Thanks man.

I'm not familiar with the South or the West coast and I didn't apply to any of those, but I would say
1. Mayo
2. Baylor
3. Wisc
4. Case
5. ClevelandClinic
6. USC
7. Maryland
8. Emory
9. Einstein
10. Brown
11-15: Save some room for schools u haven't heard from yet

How bad do you want to go to the east coast anyway?

You actually have a SUPER nice list for a guy feeling sorry himself :smuggrin:

Jeff has pretty solid cards placement (one to penn last year and in house matches are plentiful), I'd give them a look over USC and Tufts any day. Keep UNC and UMD.

DVN, I'm liking your list but I would be wary of Greenwich, haha.

Thanks for the Input! Hopefully I get to add a couple in the next few weeks!

I picked 15-18 out of the blue. I plan on going to as many as possible. A lot of mine are clustered so I can take a mini trip. Hopefully this eases the burden.