Which general surgery programs to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justabronco

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Read up on various programs then apply around. Do you have geographic limitations? If you're not sure about academic vs community, then it's probably safer to go academic from an overall resources and connections standpoint. Any inklings about possible fellowships down the road? If you are thinking something uber-competitive like surg onc or peds, it's gonna be very helpful to have academic infrastructure to help you on that journey. Otherwise, I think you're gonna be just fine. Cheers.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm interested in fellowship, but I also keep reading about looking for a program that lets you operate in PGY1. It seems like most of those programs are community based? Is that as important or are connections more important?
All programs will let you operate as a PGY-1.

Frankly, its more about keeping you interested in surgery rather than you acquiring any true surgical skills. The wards and ICU are where you learn how to take care of patients peri-operatively (or even non operative); this is extremely important. Do not underestimate this part of your education.

Studies show no real difference in skills between those that operate more or less as an intern, at the end of training.

Focus more on a program where the residents get along, in a community where your partner (if you have one) is happy and has professional/personal resources and that has at least an average board pass rate and opportunities for fellowship.

Reactions: 1 users