Which clinical rotation is the worst?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is the worst clinical rotation?

• Internal Medicine

Votes: 72 9.1%
  • Surgery

Votes: 175 22.2%
  • Pediatrics

Votes: 56 7.1%
  • Obstetrics & Gynecology

Votes: 340 43.1%
  • Psychiatry

Votes: 66 8.4%
  • Neurology

Votes: 27 3.4%
  • Family Medicine

Votes: 52 6.6%

• Total voters
As for the female residents at my home program, I've never seen a higher concentration of ill-mannered, histrionic, anal-retentive bitches in my entire life--only one or two out of the whole bunch that aren't complete sociopaths. As for the guys, half of them are alright. The other half totally give me the creeps.

It is one thing to not like a rotation and express it, but some of yall are taking it too far in my opinion and might be in need of a psych eval....esp. from someone going into/interested in psychiatry(i.e. medstudent).

It is one thing to not like a rotation and express it, but some of yall are taking it to far in my opinion and might be in need of a psych eval....esp. from someone going into/interested in psychiatry(i.e. medstudent).

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
It is one thing to not like a rotation and express it, but some of yall are taking it too far in my opinion and might be in need of a psych eval....esp. from someone going into/interested in psychiatry(i.e. medstudent).

I'd love to give psych evals, but I don't think that funkless requires one just based on what he/she is saying. I witnessed and experienced a ton of abnormal behavior and truly mean spirited things in OB that I have not experienced anywhere else! I don't think it's about not liking a rotation. I personally have not liked other rotations either, but I have not been abused in any other rotation, so I don't feel a need to say non-positive things about other specialties. So while I may say I find specialty "X" unappealing, I find OB more than unappealing. I find it outright worrying based on multiple issues and I'd like to see change occur in the specialty. I also feel that the level of patient care is at times affected because of all the negativism, etc. that occurs in the field.

Just my 0.02

I'd love to give psych evals, but I don't think that funkless requires one just based on what he/she is saying. I witnessed and experienced a ton of abnormal behavior and truly mean spirited things in OB that I have not experienced anywhere else! I don't think it's about not liking a rotation. I personally have not liked other rotations either, but I have not been abused in any other rotation, so I don't feel a need to say non-positive things about other specialties. So while I may say I find specialty "X" unappealing, I find OB more than unappealing. I find it outright worrying based on multiple issues and I'd like to see change occur in the specialty. I also feel that the level of patient care is at times affected because of all the negativism, etc. that occurs in the field.

Just my 0.02

i agree that there is nothing wrong with expressing your disdain for the rotation based on your treatment as stated in your above qoute. i was referring to your previous comments and others who basically hurl personal attacks at fellow medical professionals to the point that it seems sexist, way over board and rude. For instance, there are a few rotations i didnt like either and some of it was due to poor trt., but i am able to express this w/out being sexist or stating that someone of a certain profession has to have an STD or is schizophrenic or deserves a bad life. Just my 0.02

I dunno...I mean if someone had a truly god-awful experience it is kind of understandable. I had a pretty bad experience in OB but not as bad as medstudquest has described, so I guess I don't hate it quite as vehemently but I hate it nonethelesss...

As to the claim that the specialty is something we could live without, I dunno. I mean people with high-risk pregnancies need an OB; People that need C-sections need an OB; the regular deliveries could probably be easily handled by a midwife and a dula. As for GYN, you really can't get rid of that. It's too surgical for the IM people, and their field is already so huge that you can't make them do the gyn stuff too.

I think that OB/Gyns are ok people probably. they are very bitchy but that's likely because their lives are so hard. Whatever we're complaining about dealing with for weeks they've been doing it for years! So i guess they're a little entitled to be bitter...Now that I'm finished w/ ob of course I have more sympathy since I never have to deal with it again, lol.

In terms of whether people should have to take OB/Gyn or not that's a hard question as well. I am a somewhat irritated by the 'required' specialties. I plan to go into Pathology, so sometimes I'm like, what the hell am I getting out of third year, I'm never gonna write H&P's. I feel like my specialty (and so many others for that matter) is ignored, while other specialties can force us to be on their service for weeks and weeks! My solution would be a system where one could have the option of declaring a 'major' after MS2 if (s)he so desired. Thus for a pathologist I would make them take GYN (much path in gyn) but not OB (i'm never ever ever gonna have to deliver a baby). I guess this is a bit off topic, but i think it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

Thank an OB/GYN for being born.

Douche bag. (no pun intended)

The mother does all the work.

BTW, I hope you notice that:

(a) just you violated TOS

(b) internet ("douche bag") insults are like a fart in a stiff breeze--if you weren't so far below my contempt I might bother to have you booted off.

i agree that there is nothing wrong with expressing your disdain for the rotation based on your treatment as stated in your above qoute. i was referring to your previous comments and others who basically hurl personal attacks at fellow medical professionals to the point that it seems sexist, way over board and rude. For instance, there are a few rotations i didnt like either and some of it was due to poor trt., but i am able to express this w/out being sexist or stating that someone of a certain profession has to have an STD or is schizophrenic or deserves a bad life. Just my 0.02

First of all, I'm just blowing off steam, so dismount the high horse. I readily acknowledge that OBs serve an important role, and that a *few* of the ones I've met are quite decent. (Individual mileage will obviously vary.)

I have no personal beef with these lunatics, er, people; the problem is that they can't interact professionally. In general, I am describing my miserable personal experience accurately, so who are you to invalidate it? And, although I paint with broad strokes, bear in mind that this is a friggin' internet forum, so switch threads if you're offended by this one.

As for you implying that I'm a sexist, on the basis of my differentiating between the histrionic craziness of the female residents and the creepiness of the male residents, I think that's a ridiculous charge, but feel free to think whatever you want about me.

I haven't said anything sexist, I am not sure what you are referring to. However, I do think that women in OB tend to be muhc more aggressive and mean than the men and I believe there are several reasons for that, but I won't go into them at this point. I have never said that anyone has an STD or is schizophrenic or deserves a bad life. That was said by someone else and I assume it was said in a moment of frustration probably and being tired of negative experiences in OB possibly. I don't think there is a need to blow things out of proportion. Further, the way several of my OB residents/attendings behaved I personally do believe that some had a mental disorder in all honesty. The abusive behavior I personally experienced makes me think that there definitely is something wrong with alot of them. I don't believe people who are entirely healthy can act like that. Whether it's because of stress, anger at their schedule/lives, etc., nothing gives them the right to abuse others. Their behavior was entirely "rude and overboard" and I don't think it's a coincidence that alot of people even within the medical profession are not fond of OB's.

I dunno...I mean if someone had a truly god-awful experience it is kind of understandable. I had a pretty bad experience in OB but not as bad as medstudquest has described, so I guess I don't hate it quite as vehemently but I hate it nonethelesss...

As to the claim that the specialty is something we could live without, I dunno. I mean people with high-risk pregnancies need an OB; People that need C-sections need an OB; the regular deliveries could probably be easily handled by a midwife and a dula. As for GYN, you really can't get rid of that. It's too surgical for the IM people, and their field is already so huge that you can't make them do the gyn stuff too.

I think that OB/Gyns are ok people probably. they are very bitchy but that's likely because their lives are so hard. Whatever we're complaining about dealing with for weeks they've been doing it for years! So i guess they're a little entitled to be bitter...Now that I'm finished w/ ob of course I have more sympathy since I never have to deal with it again, lol.

In terms of whether people should have to take OB/Gyn or not that's a hard question as well. I am a somewhat irritated by the 'required' specialties. I plan to go into Pathology, so sometimes I'm like, what the hell am I getting out of third year, I'm never gonna write H&P's. I feel like my specialty (and so many others for that matter) is ignored, while other specialties can force us to be on their service for weeks and weeks! My solution would be a system where one could have the option of declaring a 'major' after MS2 if (s)he so desired. Thus for a pathologist I would make them take GYN (much path in gyn) but not OB (i'm never ever ever gonna have to deliver a baby). I guess this is a bit off topic, but i think it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

I don't hate the profession itself, I hate the attitudes and abnormal behavior of the people in the profession. I don't feel it's helpful for many of us that know for certain that we won't go into OB to have to go through OB honestly. I also agree with you that many specialties are just about entirely ignored. Radiology, optho, ortho, path, etc., etc.-many of those specialties are only given a few weeks from the entire year. What about those people who are interested in going into them? Why should they do OB as opposed to doing a 6 week rotation in their specialty choice? I feel that there are certain rotations that are absolutely essential and should be required for example: IM, Surgery, FM, Psych, Peds. You'll likely use info from all of these sometime in your career. However OB is likely not to be used unless you go into OB. I agree that there should be a more specialized tract in a way, where you could narrow down the type of specialty choices and do rotations more useful to your future career. I stand by my previous statement as well that OB could be shortened into a say 2 week rotation and meshed w/Surgery.

The mother does all the work.

BTW, I hope you notice that:

(a) just you violated TOS

(b) internet ("douche bag") insults are like a fart in a stiff breeze--if you weren't so far below my contempt I might bother to have you booted off.

Too bad this is the internet.

First of all, I'm just blowing off steam, so dismount the high horse. I readily acknowledge that OBs serve an important role, and that a *few* of the ones I've met are quite decent. (Individual mileage will obviously vary.)

I have no personal beef with these lunatics, er, people; the problem is that they can't interact professionally. In general, I am describing my miserable personal experience accurately, so who are you to invalidate it? And, although I paint with broad strokes, bear in mind that this is a friggin' internet forum, so switch threads if you're offended by this one.

As for you implying that I'm a sexist, on the basis of my differentiating between the histrionic craziness of the female residents and the creepiness of the male residents, I think that's a ridiculous charge, but feel free to think whatever you want about me.

well my comments come from a different place than yours i guess. i have finished ALL of 3rd year and have met residents/faculty/nurses/techs in all the required rotations that have had bad attitudes to ones who have great attitudes but have bad days and still teach. basically i have learned that bashing a speciality to the point that you hurl personal attacks only makes you look like a lunatic on the internet and does little to change the situation. at my school if and when issues of poor trt. occur we have confidential and anonymous channels to voice our concerns and they are mostly addressed and changed for the better. maybe you should spend your time trying to create such change at your medical school....now let me get back on my "high horse".

well my comments come from a different place than yours i guess. i have finished ALL of 3rd year and have met residents/faculty/nurses/techs in all the required rotations that have had bad attitudes to ones who have great attitudes but have bad days and still teach. basically i have learned that bashing a speciality to the point that you hurl personal attacks only makes you look like a lunatic on the internet and does little to change the situation. at my school if and when issues of poor trt. occur we have confidential and anonymous channels to voice our concerns and they are mostly addressed and changed for the better. maybe you should spend your time trying to create such change at your medical school....now let me get back on my "high horse".

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::clap::beat:

Members don't see this ad :)

I like this idea. However, I think that getting the broad exposure to all of the specialties is going to be useful for the future.....

I would structure med school a lot like Baylor's program:

1) 1.5 yrs of pre-cinical.

Cut down on some of crazy BS that we're taught that has absolutely NO bearing on clinical practice, i.e. like Biochem profs requiring that we know the spefic amino acid number that's mutated in a dz.

2) 10 months of core rotations:

2 x Surgery
2 x Medicine
1 x OB/Gyn
1 x Psych
1 x Family
1 x Peds
1 x Pathology
1 x Emergency Medicine

That gives students another 6-8 months to do exploratory electives before 4th year even begins, so that they can fully decide what to do with themselves.

Just my two cents.

I like this idea. However, I think that getting the broad exposure to all of the specialties is going to be useful for the future.....

Cut down on some of crazy BS that we're taught that has absolutely NO bearing on clinical practice, i.e. like Biochem profs requiring that we know the spefic amino acid number that's mutated in a dz.

2 x Surgery
2 x Medicine
1 x OB/Gyn
1 x Psych
1 x Family
1 x Peds
1 x Pathology
1 x Emergency Medicine

That gives students another 6-8 months to do exploratory electives before 4th year even begins, so that they can fully decide what to do with themselves.

Just my two cents.
this sounds like a good idea esp. for those who have interests outside of the core required clerkships....it would cut down on the mad histeria of trying to do a bunch of away/home electives in the summer and early fall of your senior year.

OB/GYN has been my first rotation and I've been extremely pleasantly surprised by how much I've enjoyed it. I had no expectations coming in, and went in with a completely open mind and have loved it. Here's my opinion:

Positives

Get to do surgery and medicine
manage patients in general happy to be there and compliant with your recommendations (not too many women hate having children and knowingly harm them)

Negatives

lifestyle (the hours are definitely bad)
malpractice (worse in some areas than others, but terrible in general)

There are others on both sides, but these are the biggest that pop into mind. After reading through the thread I've basically seen 3-4 people who've hated their ob rotation and have led the OB-haterade going on. But still, OB leads the poll, which in a way gives me hope since I've loved OB and have every other rotation to look forward too during third year. At my school, most students look forward to their OB rotation because most people really enjoy it. I'm on a first-name basis with all the residents here, and for the most part they're all very nice, helpful, and very open to teaching me. It stinks that everyone can't have the same experience.

As far as the dulas and midwives cut on OBs delivering babies, I don't see this as any different than PAs in every other field. Midwives deliver absolutely normal babies where there are no complications. This is not the norm in an academic institution. The patients here are the complicated ones, where management by an OB/GYN is a requirement for the safety of the mother and baby.

2 x Surgery
2 x Medicine
1 x OB/Gyn
1 x Psych
1 x Family
1 x Peds
1 x Pathology
1 x Emergency Medicine

Just my two cents.

I like this idea, although I think it's beneficial if IM is longer since it's the basis for all of medicine. The only problem I see is really with shelf exams. I wonder if certain clerkships were reduced in time, whether people would be more likely to fail shelves since they don't have as much time to study?

2 x Surgery
2 x Medicine
1 x OB/Gyn
1 x Psych
1 x Family
1 x Peds
1 x Pathology
1 x Emergency Medicine

Just my two cents.

I like Wake's style:

Start a little early and finish 2nd year a little early- start rotations in April:
2x Surgery
2x Medicine
2x Peds
1.5x OB/gyn
1x Psych
1x Neuro
1x Family
1x Ambulatory
0.5x Radiology+Anesthesia

Then start fourth year in April.

I see what your saying in terms of the charge that "you just hate this because it's your first rotation." But, I think it's a bit strange to say that places like OB and Surgery have only as much malignancy as, say, Pedi and Psych. You'd be the only MS4 that I know of to believe that all rotations are created equal. I agree with you about endlessly bashing a specialty, but I think people here are just blowing off steam. After all the thread is called "What was your worst rotation?" so it pretty much invites negative comments. I don't think anyone hates OB/Gyn as a specialty, they just are upset at experiences they've had with some of the meanies on that service. I think it's the environment that makes people mean though. I had overall a pretty good experience on Gyn, really enjoyed it, residents were rarely mean, etc. On OB it was a totally different story because everyone was so stressed and on edge so people were acting rudely, unprofessionally, and almost cruelly really every single day. Personally, I'd like to have 4-5 weeks of gyn and 1-2 weeks of OB, the reason being that Gyn has a much wider variety of stuff whereas on OB it's just endlessly delivering placentas and scrubbing in on C-sections. The educational value of delivering one's twentieth placenta is questionable in my mind. But there are quite a few people who love delivering babies, so they should have the option to do more OB if they wish, thus my idea of letting people have 'majors' in med school. The only specialty that is really relevant to EVERYONE is Medicine itself, other than that I think people end up with a lot of wasted time on irrelevant things. Surgeons in Psychiatry, Psychiatrists in surgery, OB/Gyns on Neurology, etc.

Could someone explain me why surgery got so many votes? I haven't started the rotation yet, but I've never heard complains about surgery, actually, people tend to say that IM is beyond exhausting...and seems like people prefer it over surgery (maybe because you learn a lot in it)...but surgery's not so bad, is it? What's wrong with it.

First, I'm an M4 (making up time for a few months of research), so with the exception of three more weeks of OB, I too have finished ALL of my core clerkships, so (again on your high horse) you're not speaking from any greater wealth of experience than mine.

Second, IMO, a med student blowing off steam in an internet forum isn't a lunatic. Rather, someone who reads a thread entitled "which clinical rotation is the worst" then takes serious exception to such rantings and devotes as much energy as you and that other 'righteous defender of all OB docs across the land' have, well, that person's definitely more sketchy in my book.

Am I a lunatic for not appreciating being asked by the nurses to change all the bedsheets in eval and dip urine sticks all night? (Yep, I refused. Instead, I took H&Ps and devised treatment plans--what a prima donna, right?)

Am I a lunatic for not appreciating being chided like a toddler for missing Placenta-Catch #34 (because I was upstairs checking on a G1 with SBP >175)?

As for personal attacks, talk about the pot and the kettle. You and your mighty co-defender of OB-honor implied things about me that are at least as unflattering as what i've claimed about the OBs I've worked with. (Not that I could conceivably care any less, but some consistency would be nice...)

You two sound perfect for OB: shrill, uptight, indignant-at-a-moments-notice, and up-in-your-grill. Have fun, y'all. Three more weeks of this crap and then I'm off to greener pastures.

First, I'm an M4 (making up time for a few months of research), so with the exception of three more weeks of OB, I too have finished ALL of my core clerkships, so (again on your high horse) you're not speaking from any greater wealth of experience than mine.

Second, IMO, a med student blowing off steam in an internet forum isn't a lunatic. Rather, someone who reads a thread entitled "which clinical rotation is the worst" then takes serious exception to such rantings and devotes as much energy as you and that other 'righteous defender of all OB docs across the land' have, well, that person's definitely more sketchy in my book.

Am I a lunatic for not appreciating being asked by the nurses to change all the bedsheets in eval and dip urine sticks all night? (Yep, I refused. Instead, I took H&Ps and devised treatment plans--what a prima donna, right?)

Am I a lunatic for not appreciating being chided like a toddler for missing Placenta-Catch #34 (because I was upstairs checking on a G1 with SBP >175)?

As for personal attacks, talk about the pot and the kettle. You and your mighty co-defender of OB-honor implied things about me that are at least as unflattering as what i've claimed about the OBs I've worked with. (Not that I could conceivably care any less, but some consistency would be nice...)

You two sound perfect for OB: shrill, uptight, indignant-at-a-moments-notice, and up-in-your-grill. Have fun, y'all. Three more weeks of this crap and then I'm off to greener pastures.

:)

Too bad this is the internet.
Really, why's that?

EDIT: Oh, I get it. That's you saying: "If we were face to face, I'd pummel you with the strength of a thousand raging midwives," which I immediately translate into "If we were face to face, you'd see these spindly arms flailing at you like a whirling dervish of righteous indignation moving with estrogen-fueled hurricane speed."

How intimidating--what an impressive display of machismo. The internet isn't a medium that lends itself to Gary Cooper/Steven Seagal moments, but my friend, you just had one and I couldn't be happier to have been there for it.

...i was referring to your previous comments and others who basically hurl personal attacks at fellow medical professionals to the point that it seems sexist, way over board and rude. For instance, there are a few rotations i didnt like either and some of it was due to poor trt., but i am able to express this w/out being sexist or stating that someone of a certain profession has to have an STD or is schizophrenic or deserves a bad life. Just my 0.02

This cartoon should have made your blood positively boil. It obviously didn't, so clearly you're not always so high strung when people poke fun at OBs. Maybe you just caught this thread while you were having a rough day.

http://theunderweardrawer.homestead.com/obgyn1.html

This cartoon should have made your blood positively boil. It obviously didn't, so clearly you're not always so high strung when people poke fun at OBs. Maybe you just caught this thread while you were having a rough day.

http://theunderweardrawer.homestead.com/obgyn1.html

no i am not high strung and i wasn't having a bad day ...but it sure seems like both of these descriptions FIT you but the bad day seems like 4-6 weeks for you. hopefully, your life becomes a bed of roses pretty soon.....but then again there is pgy-1 which can be tough in most specialities not just ob/gyn. my comments to you were just comments just like yours b/c i am confident your posts will have no bearing on what i decide to pursue or what i think on the specialty. i know i am not a b%#ch and won't become one b/c i will choose the ob/gyn profession. like you said it is just the internet and everyone is entitled to their opinion even though their tirades appear immature.

no i am not high strung and i wasn't having a bad day ...but it sure seems like both of these descriptions FIT you but the bad day seems like 4-6 weeks for you. hopefully, your life becomes a bed of roses pretty soon.....but then again there is pgy-1 which can be tough in most specialities not just ob/gyn. my comments to you were just comments just like yours b/c i am confident your posts will have no bearing on what i decide to pursue or what i think on the specialty. i know i am not a b%#ch and won't become one b/c i will choose the ob/gyn profession. like you said it is just the internet and everyone is entitled to their opinion even though their tirades appear immature.

You are going into OB? I think that's probably why you got offended with all the negative comments towards OB.

You are going into OB? I think that's probably why you got offended with all the negative comments towards OB.
one could assume that. but comments saying i hated it and everyone was mean to me is not the same as those residents have an std, are psychotic, or deserve a miserable life. that is why i commented. i can understand someone wanting to vent otherwise esp. based on the title of this thread. i just hope some ppl. don't get suprised if they have a bad experience on pedi or even gasp psych b/c it can happen. third year is a tough year. fourth year is the best though!:D

one could assume that. but comments saying i hated it and everyone was mean to me is not the same as those residents have an std, are psychotic, or deserve a miserable life. that is why i commented. i can understand someone wanting to vent otherwise esp. based on the title of this thread. i just hope some ppl. don't get suprised if they have a bad experience on pedi or even gasp psych b/c it can happen. third year is a tough year. fourth year is the best though!:D

I think that people tend to be more sensitive about negative comments about a specialty when one is interested in it or has decided to go into it. I personally, like I have stated before, really like Psych and although I had a great experience in the rotation, I am sure others may have had a bad experience and I can understand them not wanting to go into it. Just have to realize that some people will really dislike certain specialties pretty much no matter what. I unfortunately won't know what 4th year is like until the upcoming year since I had to take some time off during 3rd yr and still trying to get through it. Hopefully things will get better though as everyone says 4th year is so great!

:laugh: Haven't seen that cartoon for years, but so funny and so true.

:laugh: Haven't seen that cartoon for years, but so funny and so true.

yeah that cartoon made me laugh also and i haven't seen it in a while....kinda weird since i saw it b/4 doing my ob/gyn clerkship and now after deciding on ob/gyn.

my roommate is absolutely LOVING her OB/GYN rotation right now.

all this bashing is so ******ed. the point is everyone has their likes and dislikes. you could bash any specialty if you wanted because of that.

every rotation will suck if you have crappy attendings and residents to work with. i thought i would hate OB but i loved it because my upper levels were so awesome to work with. whereas i liked internal medicine before (and still do) but didnt like my rotation because the people i was with loved to round for hours (more than the usual 2).

it's all going to be relative, give OB a chance...it's interesting and important stuff to learn, even if you don't wanna do it. true, many of the female residents can be really mean, but that doesn't make OB itself a bad specialty.

Ndestrukt are you going into ob? I thought you were going into urology?

all this bashing is so ******ed. the point is everyone has their likes and dislikes. you could bash any specialty if you wanted because of that.

every rotation will suck if you have crappy attendings and residents to work with. i thought i would hate OB but i loved it because my upper levels were so awesome to work with. whereas i liked internal medicine before (and still do) but didnt like my rotation because the people i was with loved to round for hours (more than the usual 2).

it's all going to be relative, give OB a chance...it's interesting and important stuff to learn, even if you don't wanna do it. true, many of the female residents can be really mean, but that doesn't make OB itself a bad specialty.

Anyone here stop and think that maybe OB/gyns are telling you things that are true and no one else has the balls to say? I personally think a lot of med students can be a$$holes (of course not my own loving classmates who are without fault:love:) but a lot of the stuff I hear on here would make me think that y'all have had this coming for a while, take a look at yourself before you point the finger outwards.

(The role of devil's advocate will be played by Brickhouse)

I am personally applying for Ob/gyn residency because I think there needs to be at least a few nice, sane docs for women to go to in this world. So bring your boxes ladies, lets see 'em!

Edit and P.S. ; my peds residents/fellows were the bitchiest I'd ever dealt with, my ob/gyn residents were saints in comparison.

Anyone here stop and think that maybe OB/gyns are telling you things that are true and no one else has the balls to say? I personally think a lot of med students can be a$$holes (of course not my own loving classmates who are without fault:love:) but a lot of the stuff I hear on here would make me think that y'all have had this coming for a while, take a look at yourself before you point the finger outwards.

I am personally applying for Ob/gyn residency because I think there needs to be at least a few nice, sane docs for women to go to in this world. So bring your boxes ladies, lets see 'em!

Edit and P.S. ; my peds residents/fellows were the bitchiest I'd ever dealt with, my ob/gyn residents were saints in comparison.

I have a book on residencies, and some of the best advice in it is that you shouldn't let a bad rotation turn you off from a specialty and you shouldn't go into a specialty just because you had a good rotation or even because they gave you honors. That's because rotations can be atypical.

When so many people come out of Surgery and OB/GYN with negative experiences it says something about those specialties.

Hey guys, so I was actually the student teammate of getunconscious (the creator of the poll) during OB Gyn, and I have to back him up in saying that our experience truly sucked ass. The majority of our attendings didn't think we actually existed, and then they evaluated us based on popularity criteria rather than on our hard work (for some reason the laziest person in our group got the highest marks, and I, despite all my extra efforts to be helpful, tanked). Most residents seemed nice, but there were definitely a few toxic personalities who HATED us and were instrumental in providing negative feedback to the chiefs and attendings. Unfortunately, it seems that OB Gyn at my teaching hospital isn't just about female patients: it also involves more favoritism and politics than I ever would have expected. And being the only female student in the group, I definitely sensed that I was not favored (getunconscious was WAY more popular among the female attendings and residents), and I wonder if my gender played a role in my not-so-sparkling attending eval. I got along just fine with the male residents, but I also have a feeling they didn't have my back when their superiors evaluated me. In the end, I couldn't help but feel as if I had been thrown back to the malignant atmosphere of middle school. I definitely suffer from OB Gyn PTSD, and I am finding it a bit difficult to let go of my horribly negative experience with OB Gyn. My PTSD is tainting my current psych rotation, but at least I have more time now to try to deal with the emotional aftermath.

The tragic aspect of my experience is that I could have enjoyed the actual work involved in OB Gyn, but some really strong and rotten personalities ruined my rotation and my evals. I do wonder if malignancy in OB Gyn rotations exist mainly at large academic programs (not sure if anyone addressed this earlier) since the OB Gyn rotation at a small, private hospital (led by Dr. Toy of Case Files and affiliated with my school ) is supposed to be an extremely positive experience. The residents at my location (the main teaching hospital of my med school) think they are superior to the residents at these other smaller affiliated OB Gyn programs, so maybe their haughty attitude also colored my experience. I would say that if you are interested in OB Gyn and have not started your OB Gyn rotation, try to get the scoop on how to play the political game with the OB Gyns at your institution. For example, female students like me (who seem more academic and who are not gregarious or remotely sorority-like) are doomed at my institution if they don't work significantly harder and better than their peers AND if they don't become well liked. It's unfair, but it's the ugly truth at my school. I respect people who want to go into OB Gyn (it certainly isn't the easiest specialty), but I hope that if you are going into OB Gyn, you are a nice person who, in being fair and respectful, will help reduce the psychological trauma a lot of (not all) med students suffer during their OB Gyn rotations!

A lot of people have posted negative experiences in OB/Gyn. So it is very difficult to believe that all of them were at fault, and thus deserved to have a bad experience. When you see a poll that shows a large percentage of students listing OB/Gyn as their worst clinical rotation, it can't be that all of the students are incompetent or lazy. Something must be going on that is common in OB/Gyn roations.

A lot of people have posted negative experiences in OB/Gyn. So it is very difficult to believe that all of them were at fault, and thus deserved to have a bad experience. When you see a poll that shows a large percentage of students listing OB/Gyn as their worst clinical rotation, it can't be that all of the students are incompetent or lazy. Something must be going on that is common in OB/Gyn roations.

OB/Gyn was undoubtedly the worst rotation of my 3rd year. I can't say that I ENJOYED everything else....but I can say that I took some positives from each rotation...and that overall, as I look back on my rotations, OBGyn was the only experience that left a lasting negative impression in my mind.

Most of the attendings were overworked, tired, malignant individuals who just really needed some sleep....sleep that they'd been missing for the past few decades. Most of the residents fit into one of three categories:

1. Wannabe surgeons without the scores to get the residency of choice
2. Sicko vagina enthusiasts
3. Females who knew that they had a job lined up by virtue of A) being a medical student about to finish school and B) being female, with emphasis on the latter.

Of course, there aren't enough HONEST OB/Gyn residents or wannabe residents out there to admit that they fit into one of the three aforementioned categories. But I speak the truth...and you know it...look deep into your soul and be honest with yourself for once. Then, if you feel it necessary, after you have at least been honest with yourself, log onto SDN and talk about why you truly are passionate about caring for the VaGi-Gis of the world. Tell us about why you think the horrible hours, sleep deprivation, bitchy women, and regular baths in blood/meconium/amniotic fluid is worth it. Tell us why you want to work in a profession surrounded by the most unfriendly, unprofessional colleagues...why you have ignored the advice of countless OBGyn attendings who told you "DON'T GO INTO OBGYN." I'm sure you all have really good reasons....and I've listed them in 1-3 above. And by the looks of it, the fact that the vast majority of OBGyn residents are now female indicates that #3 is a bid draw.

That about sums up my opinion on OBGyn.

So basically the vibe I'm getting is- stay away from University of Texas- Houston....

Will do :thumbup:

So basically the vibe I'm getting is- stay away from University of Texas- Houston....

Will do :thumbup:
Heh, not all if my friends had such a bad time on Ob/Gyn here at UT-H-- my friends who were at the county hospital said the hours were hard but that their experience was ok. There's just something about that one hospital...

Heh, not all if my friends had such a bad time on Ob/Gyn here at UT-H-- my friends who were at the county hospital said the hours were hard but that their experience was ok. There's just something about that one hospital...

Im out at the county hospital right now and i can say that it is a split of personalities. The residents on night call during the week are awesome they like to teach and they are pleasant to be around. The residents i work with in the day are a mix most are pretty cool there are a few that are malignant. I learned who those people were early on and try to avoid them. This is an interesting and hard rotation and i can honestly say i am pretty sure i don't want to do oby/gyn after this for several reasons.

The only specialty that is really relevant to EVERYONE is Medicine itself, other than that I think people end up with a lot of wasted time on irrelevant things. Surgeons in Psychiatry, Psychiatrists in surgery, OB/Gyns on Neurology, etc.

Untrue. Emergency Medicine relates to all specialties, since anyone acutely ill in ANY medical fields is initially evaluated in the ED. In addition, everyone should be able to recognize a surgical abdomen, deliver a baby in a pinch, and recognize a stroke. Some of these are just the basics of being a physician.

Surgery has been my only rotation, thus far ... but I am hoping that MS3 doesn't get any worse than my current 5AM to 9PM schedule. :D

Surgery has been my only rotation, thus far ... but I am hoping that MS3 doesn't get any worse than my current 5AM to 9PM schedule. :D

Hey do you know anything about rotations at Olive View? I'm doing a visiting ob rotation there starting soon.

Sorry thread owner to be hijacking this.

Hey do you know anything about rotations at Olive View? I'm doing a visiting ob rotation there starting soon.

Sorry thread owner to be hijacking this.

Ob/Gyn at Olive View --- I've heard that you learn A TON (very hands-on) but that it's intense and the hours are pretty bad.

Seriously, is that all?

Would someone do a quick statistical significance calculation on these results? I'm sick of this "Everyone has a different experience" crap, or the ******ed "You didn't work hard enough" comments.

Ob-gyn blows. The unpleasant personalities dominate the service. There is minimal control over resident misbehavior by the attending staff. Obviously this was not just my experience as a student, as this thread and many others demonstrate.

I wish Ob would come to terms with who they are. If they were a bunch of rude and unpleasant people who admitted it (ie - General Surgery residents), then at least I could respect them even if I didn't like them. But this constant insistence that they are caring, pleasant people, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary, makes them just look foolish.

Untrue. Emergency Medicine relates to all specialties, since anyone acutely ill in ANY medical fields is initially evaluated in the ED. In addition, everyone should be able to recognize a surgical abdomen, deliver a baby in a pinch, and recognize a stroke. Some of these are just the basics of being a physician.

Uhmmm....and how exactly does this relate to Path? I haven't seen many pathologists looking at acute abdomens lately......

To me this is just another example of a "my specialty is the most important for everyone to know because...." At least I can admit that Path shouldn't be required b/c most people don't look at slides. I hate stressful situations, so I think EM blows. I'm lucky that it's not required at my school (nor at a number of others, despite your insistence that it's incredibly important).