Which branch did YOU choose, and WHY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2th Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it could be helpful to start a condensed opinion thread -- NOT A BRANCH RIVALRY THREAD -- to highlight the important and differentiating factors between the Army, Navy, and Air Force Dental Corps.

So, to answer the title of this post, which branch of the military did you choose, and why? Especially for those who were seriously contemplating more than one branch, what were the main factors that influenced your choice? And now that you're enlisted, is there one or two specific things that you wish you would have known previously, that might have influenced you otherwise?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it could be helpful to start a condensed opinion thread -- NOT A BRANCH RIVALRY THREAD -- to highlight the important and differentiating factors between the Army, Navy, and Air Force Dental Corps.

So, to answer the title of this post, which branch of the military did you choose, and why? Especially for those who were seriously contemplating more than one branch, what were the main factors that influenced your choice? And now that you're enlisted, is there one or two specific things that you wish you would have known previously, that might have influenced you otherwise?

I was prior enlisted Army. I applied for both the Army and the Navy HPSP programs. I was accepted by both and ultimately chose the Navy. Being married now with children, I knew that with the Navy that most duty stations would be on or near the coast. Both the Army and Air Force have duty stations in BFE - North Dakota, El Paso TX, South Dakota, Wyoming, Alabama, Arkansas, Korea, etc...Not that there is anything wrong with those locations but most coastal locations are an easier sell to the wife, lol.

I also enjoy the ability to experience something different in the military - serving with the Marine Corps and the possibility of serving on an aircraft carrier or other ship.

I chose the Navy because they have bases near beaches, and I like to surf and play golf. I also like the rich history of the US Navy. Quite frankly I never even considered the other branches.

In hindsight I may have considered the Army if I had known about the field training available such as M16s and airborne. I think I would have fun with that sort of thing.

The AF didn't really interest me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was prior Army and had some "brand loyalty" when I was considering joining. After being enlisted in the Army, I really wanted to join the Army. I felt comfortable with their rules and regs and had a pretty good idea how to be an Army Dentist. Plus I had all but one of the uniforms. :laugh:

I knew several people in the AF and they wanted me to consider the AF too, so I contacted both recruiters.

At the time, working with the Army recruiters was like working with the keystone cops. They were disorganized and unhelpful. The AF recruiter was very helpful and could answer all my questions. He was also helpful in answering my wife's questions.

I was disappointed with the Army recruiting process at the time. My situation was compounded by a problem I had with Army recruiting when I was trying to apply for a HPSP and a series of errors committed by them at that time. I had zero desire to be on a ship for any period of time, so the Navy was out for me. I love the Army and I always will, but in the end, I felt the AF was the way to go. I did and I wouldn't change a thing.

Having said all that, you will find several people that can tell you the same type story about the AF and other branches as well. Recruiting services can be hit or miss no matter which branch you are in. The main thing for me is that I wanted to serve our country and the AF seemed like the best way for me to do it. I have seen many Army, AF, and Navy dental clinics. Each branch has some nice ones and each branch has some that aren't as nice. Each branch has great assignments and each has those in "BFE" as stated above. Don't get caught up in the fact that a branch has all the good locations. AF may have ND and the Army may have El Paso, but the Navy has Great Lakes, IL and Millington, TN. All branches have great OCONUS bases.

Don't let someone else's experience color your decision too much. You can look through several threads here to get some info. Make your own list of pros and cons for each service and choose the one that best fits you and your desires. I personally don't think you can go wrong with any of our services, you just need to want to serve in any of them.

Good luck with your decision.

I ended up applying to the Army and Navy HPSP. My dad was in the Army my whole life so I knew what I would be getting into with them. My brother went to the Naval Academy so I kind of had a feel for how they were. I like the rich Navy history more than any other branch as well. I (and my wife) liked the Navy uniforms much better than the other branches (believe it or not that played a role in choosing). I ended up getting accepted to both but chose the Navy because they offer the opportunity to either go with Navy or with the Marines. We liked the Naval bases better because of their locations (by the shore). I grew up a beach and sea junky so it fit pretty well. I also think it will be fun if I can get on a ship for a time (hopefully a carrier).

Looking back now, I would have chosen the Navy all over again. I don't regret the decision to accept the HPSP at all. Most of my classmates are now scrambling to try to find a way to pay for school, other than loans, and are finding out it's a little too late. It's nice when you have a quarter that requires 900+ dollars in books and it ends up being completely free because the Military took care of you. Yeah, you'll be owned for 4 years after all is said and done, but you're either owned by them or your owned by the interest on +320k of loans. I'd rather be owned by someone who's giving my family and I insurance and benefits.

I chose Navy simply for the HSCP program vs the HPSP. HSCP has been a far superior fit for my situation and the locations are a nice perk too. Had the Navy not had the HSCP, I was also accepted by the AF and would have ultimately gone with the AF. But the HSCP was too good a deal to pass up or me and my family.

I had joined the Army National Guard while still going to undergrad. When it came time to apply for dental school I applied for both Army and Navy and got both (AF didn't offer a 4 yr at the time). With both to chose from I went Army because I was already familiar with them and I didn't want to be on ships.