Where to write ASCO or AACR posters in CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tetr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was trying to plan my CV for fellowship application. My question is can we place ASCO or AACR abstracts (which get published in JCO and Mol Cancer Ther supplements) as peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts or they need to be placed in poster presentation category. Also putting them in which category will be better if both are same? I don't want to be be looked upon as faking my CV.

Members don't see this ad.

I was trying to plan my CV for fellowship application. My question is can we place ASCO or AACR abstracts (which get published in JCO and Mol Cancer Ther supplements) as peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts or they need to be placed in poster presentation category. Also putting them in which category will be better if both are same? I don't want to be be looked upon as faking my CV.

Put them in the poster/abstract presentation section. Putting them in the Pubs section is resume padding.

Thanks Gutonc.

But in a similar thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=758237 you advised "I don't think it really matters, pick one and run with it. The only variable would be if you weren't actually the one standing by the poster in Chicago, I would put it in the Journal Articles/Abstracts section. Since JCO physically publishes all the ASCO abstracts, it has been physically published and you could put it in that section without difficulty."

I also dont want to pad but also dont want to undersell.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Gutonc.

But in a similar thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=758237 you advised "I don't think it really matters, pick one and run with it. The only variable would be if you weren't actually the one standing by the poster in Chicago, I would put it in the Journal Articles/Abstracts section. Since JCO physically publishes all the ASCO abstracts, it has been physically published and you could put it in that section without difficulty."

I also dont want to pad but also dont want to undersell.

I retract my previous statement. Also, why are you asking the same damn question 3 years later?

Thanks Gutonc for the clarification. I asked the earlier question for residency application but was not satisfied so wanted a revisit before fellowship application.

Thanks Gutonc for the clarification. I asked the earlier question for residency application but was not satisfied so wanted a revisit before fellowship application.

So now you have two conflicting answers from me. What have your clinical/research mentors suggested you do?

Hi Gutonc,

They told me to put ASCO abstracts which were accepted as posters as posters and which were accepted as publication in supplement only as published. However, this way I will end up putting abstracts which were not even deemed to be suitable as posters end higher up in my CV as publication. Also I have many ASCO abstracts which adds to the problem as they can make or break my CV (if it is padding). Therefore I am searching for a satisfying answer which will not make me regret later on. The last option will be to ask ERAS/NRMP which I doubt will have any answer in this regard.

Gutonc, might it be possible to comment on how much of an impact a poster presentation at ASCO and the accompanying abstract publication in the JCO will have on Residency Application? I have just completed Med School and am applying for the 2013-2014 season. (Note: this isn't my only presentation/ publication - I just want to know how this, in itself, will affect the application). Thanks in advance for your help.

Gutonc, might it be possible to comment on how much of an impact a poster presentation at ASCO and the accompanying abstract publication in the JCO will have on Residency Application? I have just completed Med School and am applying for the 2013-2014 season. (Note: this isn't my only presentation/ publication - I just want to know how this, in itself, will affect the application). Thanks in advance for your help.

It's better than not having it, that's for sure.

HAHA!

Your response was even more entertaining than I'd envisaged. Thanks anyway.

Not sure what you were hoping for. It's not something that can be quantified. Bit giving a talk at a big meeting like ASCO is something that will set you apart from the crowd in the future.

Not sure what you were hoping for. It's not something that can be quantified. Bit giving a talk at a big meeting like ASCO is something that will set you apart from the crowd in the future.

You da man, gutonc.