Where to start, when is too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgscribe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I appreciate any help on this topic. I'm a newly minted MS3, and I have a (very very) naive interest in plastics. We get absolutely no exposure to plastics until sub-i time and I've heard all the rumors about how incredibly competitive it is to match.

I guess what I'm really asking is: where is the best place to start to get info about the basics of plastics as a specialty and how to match (whether it be to talk to people at my school, somewhere here, or an outside website, etc.)? Are most people interested in plastics well-entrenched by this point with research/etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not too late, but it's definitely time to get to know the residents and faculty at UCSF. Go to conference, look into doing some sort of small clinical research project, find opportunities to get into the OR (even when you aren't on service) . . . those are all time-tested strategies for boosting your knowledge.

This applies to all fields, but is very useful for more competitive ones.

Review the CVs/backgrounds of the faculty at your program, and select one of them with similar research interests as yours. Schedule an appointment to meet with him/her and dress professionally. Bring a copy of your CV, and be prepared to express/explain your interest in the field and/or their research. Ask for advice on how to proceed from this point on. If you are interested in their research, ask how you might get involved. UCSF is a world-class academic center and it stands to reason that there are world-class opportunities at your feet.

Finally, if the faculty member does take an interest in you, and gives you a task to complete, or some research responsibility, you must work to impress. Having a mentor/advocate pulling for you at match time is very helpful, and some would say essential.

And I agree with maxheadroom's excellent advice as well. Exercise some initiative, and seek out answers from people who already have what you want, i.e., current residents.