Too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mitralwiz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my story. 4th yr student wanting to apply general surgery. Had a chance to scrub on some plastics cases last month during a Sub-I, not a plastics subi, and now would like to apply. My question is am I too late. Spoke to my PD and he does not have a SubI spot open for this next month so having a hard time finding a way to do a rotation. Have good general surgery letters, but obviously concerned about not having plastics letter. Any advice? Is it even possible or is it pretty certain I have to do general surgery at this point to get in? Stats below:

AOA
Step1: 250s
Honored all rotations
4 1st author publications in General surgery journals. Several 2nd and 3rd author papers. No papers in plastics journals.

Members don't see this ad.

it's not so much your numbers that will be a problem, it will be convincing programs that you are committed based on only scrubbing in on a few cases. There's a reason why they want you to have a few plastic surgery rotations, and that is so that you are 100% sure it's what you want to do. Only having a few cases worth of experience will be a hard sell.

So if I were to do 1-2 rotations in the next 2 months and get a letter from a plastics attedning you would say then there is a decent chance?