Where to Squirrel Money Away for School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moki

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, there.

I am trying to figure out the best place to squirrel away money for a possible 2009 entrance to med school. My goal is to have a cushion to fall back on for living expenses for as long as possible, hopefully somewhere between $20,000 and $30,000. I'm very risk adverse with respect to this money because I have a specific use for it in the relative short term. As such, I thought a higher interest savings account would be the route to go. In light of recent events and our steady progression into a "recession," is this approach the best in your opinion? I just did a quick check on the current interest rates out there and E*Trade apparently has the best at 3.45%. (http://www.savingsaccounts.com/index.html?f9tc=GOOGHPSAVINGSACCOUNTS)

An alternative is to divert some of the $20,000 to $30,000 ($10,000 at the most) toward paying down my present student loan debt of approximately $90,000, which is at a fixed 3.75%. With my regular payments and this additional amount, I may be able to get it down to $75,000 at best. I'm contemplating this option, because it will allow me to take out a larger amount in Stafford loans as opposed to having to supplement with private loans in MS3 and MS4, as a result of the Stafford aggregate lifetime limit. I'm not sure this is wise, though, considering I'm at a fixed 3.75% on this amount.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, there.

I am trying to figure out the best place to squirrel away money for a possible 2009 entrance to med school. My goal is to have a cushion to fall back on for living expenses for as long as possible, hopefully somewhere between $20,000 and $30,000. I'm very risk adverse with respect to this money because I have a specific use for it in the relative short term. As such, I thought a higher interest savings account would be the route to go. In light of recent events and our steady progression into a "recession," is this approach the best in your opinion? I just did a quick check on the current interest rates out there and E*Trade apparently has the best at 3.45%. (http://www.savingsaccounts.com/index.html?f9tc=GOOGHPSAVINGSACCOUNTS)

An alternative is to divert some of the $20,000 to $30,000 ($10,000 at the most) toward paying down my present student loan debt of approximately $90,000, which is at a fixed 3.75%. With my regular payments and this additional amount, I may be able to get it down to $75,000 at best. I'm contemplating this option, because it will allow me to take out a larger amount in Stafford loans as opposed to having to supplement with private loans in MS3 and MS4, as a result of the Stafford aggregate lifetime limit. I'm not sure this is wise, though, considering I'm at a fixed 3.75% on this amount.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I'm by no means a finance expert, but from the reading I've done, I can offer the following advice:

Depending on where you live, local banks may offer savings account at much higher rates than 3.5%. I have a high-interest checking account at 6%, for example.

Second, I think it'd be a mistake to use that money to pay off your student loans. At 3.75%, your student loans are some of the cheapest money you can get. You say you need those 20-30k for living expenses in the next five years. Every dollar you don't have in med school, is a dollar you'll be borrowing at 6.8%- almost double your current loan, so it doesn't make sense to pay down your current loan to take out a more expensive loan.

Lastly, 20-30k in your bank account will have no effect on your stafford loans.

I'm by no means a finance expert, but from the reading I've done, I can offer the following advice:

Depending on where you live, local banks may offer savings account at much higher rates than 3.5%. I have a high-interest checking account at 6%, for example.

Second, I think it'd be a mistake to use that money to pay off your student loans. At 3.75%, your student loans are some of the cheapest money you can get. You say you need those 20-30k for living expenses in the next five years. Every dollar you don't have in med school, is a dollar you'll be borrowing at 6.8%- almost double your current loan, so it doesn't make sense to pay down your current loan to take out a more expensive loan.

Lastly, 20-30k in your bank account will have no effect on your stafford loans.

That 20-30k in your bank account will limit your eligibility for campus based and and subsidized stafford loans.

It is true that there is an impact on FA esp subs stafford, perkins and the like, however cash (rather than income during that FA year), hurts much much less. Esp 20-30k cash at hand and $0 income during the FA year -> you'll probably still get the full sub loan amounts.

Some shelters you can use are to buy a house or if you made money this year, max out your ROTH IRA/IRA. Ideally, you'd have wanted to channel it through your 401k since you can get a lot more funds sheltered that way.