Where to go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katie631

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I am in a PhD program in Psychology for Neurobiology and Behavior. I thought that it would be possible to be accredited in clinical after just a few courses once I held a PhD in psychology. I now know, however, that is not the case. The program I am in is research based, though I can take grad level clinical courses though this is not enough to move into clinical counseling where I want to be. I am fully funded for this with a stipend for 5 years but I do not want to go into academia and do not want to waste my time if I cannot reach my goal at the end. I am considering leaving with a masters in May of 2010. Should I leave with a masters and move on to a PsyD or PhD in clinical? The university I am at does have a clinical PhD program but I have not talked to professors about transferring over. I am not sure what the procedures would be for that.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently I am in a PhD program in Psychology for Neurobiology and Behavior. I thought that it would be possible to be accredited in clinical after just a few courses once I held a PhD in psychology. I now know, however, that is not the case. The program I am in is research based, though I can take grad level clinical courses though this is not enough to move into clinical counseling where I want to be. I am fully funded for this with a stipend for 5 years but I do not want to go into academia and do not want to waste my time if I cannot reach my goal at the end. I am considering leaving with a masters in May of 2010. Should I leave with a masters and move on to a PsyD or PhD in clinical? The university I am at does have a clinical PhD program but I have not talked to professors about transferring over. I am not sure what the procedures would be for that.

I would see if it is possible to stay at the school and transfer into the clinical program there, but expect to encounter significant resistance. I would get your Master's awarded and then lay it down. I would not broach the topic before getting your Masters unless you want to leave the program now and start applying now for clinical psych programs.

Your other option is to begin applying now, and explain how the program does not meet your needs to the programs that you are applying to. This may make more sense, but I would expect that this would be a difficult road to go. You would have to keep it from your current faculty, and if it didn't go well you certainly would not want them getting wind of it.

Sounds like you made a pretty critical mistake and were given some bad advice along the way.

Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
you could also sweat it out, complete the phd, get a job, apply to a respecialization program, complete the practicums + internship + post doc and then do what you want. it would add at least 3-4 years to your training though.

in your shoes, i would complete the MA, then move to a clinical doctorate program. but that's just my opinion.

I'm in agreement with PsyDR. I'd get the MA then move to a clinical Phd or Psyd program. At worst, I think you'd have maybe a year's repetition in coursework. You might be able to get admitted to a clinical doctorate program with advanced standing.

Agree with everything that's been said thus far.

Definitely check into switching into the clinical program at your school. It might not be possible, but there's no harm in trying. If you're a strong student, and would like to continue in your current lab (thus meaning you would not be reliant on the clinical faculty for funding), they may bend the rules and find a way to make things work for you. Don't be offended if they can't, but I think even if there is a small chance, its worth pursuing.

Thank you all for your replies. I will definitely take this into consideration and somehow end up where I need to be. I think I will begin applying to clinical programs next summer.

Thank you all for your replies. I will definitely take this into consideration and somehow end up where I need to be. I think I will begin applying to clinical programs next summer.

Don't forget to talk with your own department as well. While most departments look against switching after being accepted into the research stream (there were problems with lots of students doing this a few years ago apparently as an easier 'back door' entrance), if they know you and like you, you may be able to switch no problem or just do the formalities of applying.

If that doesn't work, I agree with everyone else to grad with your master's and switch to a different program.