where to fined detailed info on path residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H&E

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering pathology and have been researching programs to consider for outside elective rotations and ultimately for residency. Although scutwork and the individual programs' websites have been very helpful some sites are 3-4 years old and perhaps outdated. Is there another resource to get detailed information about the individual residency programs? (The areas of interest are: curriculum, fellowships offered, benefits, description of each rotation, etc)

Members don't see this ad.

Have you checked FREIDA? While it won't provide you with some details, it does usually list benefits, etc. Perhaps Great Pumpkin will stop by and can offer some advice.

<a href="http://www.ama-assn.org" target="_blank">http://www.ama-assn.org</a>

Hi,
Glad you are interested in Path. You are doing the right things and going to the right places. Unfortunately there is just not a lot of great places to get info on programs on the internet. If you find programs you are interested in I would suggest calling or emailing the chief residents with any questions you may have. They should be thrilled to talk to you about the program. If not take that as a bad sign. Another good idea would be just to ask about the programs on these boards with all the people that traffic through someone may no something about it.

Good luck and if you have any questions about the great program at MCV/VCU let me know :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by H&E:
•I'm strongly considering pathology and have been researching programs to consider for outside elective rotations and ultimately for residency. Although scutwork and the individual programs' websites have been very helpful some sites are 3-4 years old and perhaps outdated. Is there another resource to get detailed information about the individual residency programs? (The areas of interest are: curriculum, fellowships offered, benefits, description of each rotation, etc)•••••Hi there,

Good pathology programs that I know of: University of Maryland, Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN, Johns Hopkins, University of Virginia, and Mass General. Spend some time with the pathologists at your medical school especially your chairman, to get an idea of others. Try to do visiting clerkships at Mayo and Mass General. They seem to do an excellent job of mentoring people who come through their program. I was interested in pathology before I decided on General Surgery. Good luck! :cool:

I am also interested in path, and found it very helpful to talk to the Residency Director at my own school for advice on good programs, etc. He has been very helpful. I also spoke to one of the Chief Residents, and she had a lot of good advice as well. Good luck trying to figure things out! uncgrad

The sources already mentioned are good ways to begin. Also, try to contact some of the individual residents at the different programs to get the less glossed over, down and dirty info. Plus, if you have specific programs in mind, perhaps you might mention them on this site to get input from us residents/former interviewees.

Any current path residents have an opinion(prestige, competitiveness for match postion, anything else) on Unv of Vermont or Unv of Colorado?

Also, what do you think about future job market for next years PGY1s with 2 classes coming out at the same time?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by nvrsumr:
•Any current path residents have an opinion(prestige, competitiveness for match postion, anything else) on Unv of Vermont or Unv of Colorado?

Also, what do you think about future job market for next years PGY1s with 2 classes coming out at the same time?•••••Univ of Vermont is not overly competitive. I guess about average in prestige. Not that prestige really means much unless you are planning on going into Academics or maybe Dermpath.

As for the job market, there is just no way to tell what will happen. I imagine the competitiveness for fellowships will be a bigger problem. Most folks in path do a fellowship now and almost all the 4 year grads will want to do a fellowship.

Thanks for your thoughts. Anything I should be thinking about while applying to different Path residency programs as to how they might affect my chances of getting the fellowship/gainful employment I want(not that I have any idea what that is now) ie. geography, quality of LORs, dermatopath(I take it these fellowships are harder to get?), other stuff I dont know enough to consider.

Things to think about when applying to residencies:

1. Consider picking a residency close to where you think you want to practice. Most people find jobs relatively close to where they complete residency.

2. If you are considering Dermpath or Cytopath as a fellowship go to a residency program that is strong in those areas.

3. When picking a residency make sure you have candid talks with as many of the residents that you can. Because if the residents are unhappy you will be to.

4. Don't forget about Clinical Path, you will be spending half your residency doing CP. Make sure you like the CP program as well as the SP.

5. If autopsy is not your thing don't go to a school that does a ton of them. For example Wake Forest does many many many more autopsies than my program.

6. If there is a specific program you are interested in, try to do a rotation there.

----------------

Crepitus,
Univ of Washington has a great reputation. I understand they are particularly research oriented so if that is not you make sure you fit in. They could be a little tough to get into as an IMG. You should contact them and talk. Again, if you can do a rotation there you should.

First I'd like to thank everyone for your advice, I really appreciate the insight. I was wondering if any SDN'ers had info on Univ Maryland, Univ of Kansas, Univ of Missouri at Kansas City, Med Univ of South Carolina, or either of the Dallas, TX Programs. Regarding Great Pumpkin's criteria, I am definitely leaning toward some type of anatomic path fellowship and would be interested in a residency with less than average autopsy exposure (that takes Wake Forest off the list). Thanks again.

The advice given so far are all great. Location should indeed be a consideration when picking programs. A good number of residency graduates do end up with jobs in the area (mostly because that's their choice). Plus you'll spend several years at the city of your choice during residency, plus you'll have time outside of residency, so you want to be happy at whichever city you end up in. And again, don't hesitate to talk to folks at the different programs.
To H&E: UT Southwestern (my program) is great. Lots of residents, so less call, more flexibility in scheduling, and more people to talk to than many programs. Plenty of fellowship options, too. AP and CP is both strong. Plus you don't have to do a lot of autopsies (unless you want to). Baylor Dallas is strong in AP, but the CP is relatively weak, from what I've heard. More cushier, though, because it is a private hospital. Not such a good place if you're planning to pursue a fellowship, though, due to lack of connections and reputation is not well known. Medical Univ of SC is a good program, a friend of mine is there. Nice folks, fairly strong ME program, had a recent turnover in leadership in the last couple of years, if I remember correctly. Parking situation is kinda bad, unless you like hiking a ways. City is small, but charming.

UT Southwestern has a very strong forensic program, and the neuropath attendings are very good teachers. If you like autopsies, they are very willing to give you as much as you like. For people who aren't crazy about them, they won't make you do that many. Wake Forest and Medical Univ of SC does lots of medical examiner work, Emory probably does too. I am ignorant of other good places. :confused:

Just wondering if anyone knows of good path programs in NYC.

I'm surprised the orange book hasn't been mentioned in this thread (or has it?). ICPI annually publishes a book describing just about all pathology residency, fellowship and post-pathology course student fellowship programs in the U.S. and Canada. You can order a copy for $5 or for free with any pathologist's signature (just a clever way to get you to talk to someone in the field rather than a "members-only" kind of thing). Every medical school library probably has a copy as well. You can also access the directory online at:

http://www.pathologytraining.org/index.asp

Also, regarding the question of pathology programs in NYC, the large academic programs are Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mt. Sinai and Albert Einstein (in the Bronx). Can't really say much about them cause I haven't applied yet but I know Cornell is very strong in hematopath and Columbia very strong in neuropath. All are excellent programs though from what I hear.

Another website very useful for students interested in path:

http://www.apcprods.org/aboutpath.html

:eek: