Where to find ophthalmology job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyestar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have finished my ophthalmology residency this year and after taking few months off, I am now looking for jobs. Does anyone know where to search. So far, I have looked at aao website, locum tenens website. I recently moved and looking for jobs in specific areas, but very few (2 or 3) nationwide gets posted. So is there any future for me? I wanted to take some time off after residency ( just few months) and now it seems like impossible to find a job, unless you are willing to go anywhere.
Wow, all these years of studying and i didn't think the job market would be this bad!
Advice from any recent grads, and people who are currently practicing appreciated.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well, unfortunately, this is the result of some bad planning on your part. Even if you were intent on taking some time off, you should have been investigating job opportunities last year, like your peers were. It's not unexpected that new grads will want to relax a little before starting their careers, so prospective employers tend to be open to that.

Of course, that doesn't help you now. You aren't likely to find many ads, at least not for jobs that you would want. Practices advertise during the prime job-searching months, which have now passed. Your best bet is to cold-call some practices in the areas you like. You can start with where you currently live. There may be some practices that would be open to the idea of bringing someone in, if you approach them. If you are looking at highly competitive areas, prepare to be disappointed, though. You may need to "go anywhere" at this point.

You've put yourself in a tight spot, but it is possible to find something. You need to take the initiative, however, and don't rely on ads or head-hunters. Those will lead you to less desirable positions.