Kaiser vs. Sutter ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyedoc89

Reaction score
I am currently a Kaiser general ophthalmologist. We are salaried and my base is approximately 270k at a 9/10s schedule. I see on average 22-25 patients per day, my schedule can hold about 26-28 sometimes. I do injections, retinal lasers, etc. It is busy and there's not much ancillary support (rooms are unorganized, lots of tech turnover, many techs don't know what a phoropter or exophthalmeter should you need something, once it's past 5pm you're on you're own because all but one tech essentially leaves).

Per what I have been told people at Sutter can make more seeing that kind of volume because it is RVU based. Does anyone currently work at Sutter and can they tell me the pros and cons and how it is different than Kaiser?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That seems really low unless you are forgetting to mention bonus.

What is your total compensation? How many cataract surgeries are you doing?

I know others in Kaiser making 400k so I'm not sure why yours in that much lower. Maybe you're just starting out?

That seems really low unless you are forgetting to mention bonus.

What is your total compensation? How many cataract surgeries are you doing?

I know others in Kaiser making 400k so I'm not sure why yours in that much lower. Maybe you're just starting out?
Higher salary comes once you're a shareholder and a significant amount of compensation is in benefits (pension).