Where should I go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

invitro

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey...used to be a avid poster here. Anyhoo....applied to both IM and anes in 4th year.....got into IM. Unfortunately realized it was the WRONG choice too late. Sucks for me.

Have applied to a bunch a gas programs....(also sucks because a lot of the same progs I applied to last year, and got interviews at WON'T look at interns in categorical progs.)

I am willing to work hard given two things....need breaks (10 min) in morning lunch, afternoon. I like eating 5-6x a day. Also call frequency can't be too bad (4-5x/week). I like small progs (<8 residents) per class. So basically I got to eat, workout once every 3-4 days, and have time to study (hopefully ~1 hour/day). That's all I need.

Got interviews at:
UTMB, San Antonio, Texas tech, UT-lubbock, Mercy-Pitt, UPitt, UI-Chicago, Albany.

Most progs have NO spots for 2007, just for 2008. (Anesthesia last year was competitive!!!).

Which of these progs do you guys rec?

Have looked through the forums....it seems like UTMB/UPitt are probably the best rated. We'll see what happens.

US MD grad, 225 step I, 218 step 2 non AOA. Intern in CATEGORICAL IM prog (non-top ten). This seems to be the kicker for a lot of programs.

Since I have like one 3 weeks to squeeze in interviews...what places should I pick? I don't know if I can fit all of them in.

thanx.

P.S. if any 4th yrs want to know why I am switching, just post to the thread. Doubt it will help much though.

Members don't see this ad.

The other thing to do is to send a CV and cover letter to every program and specifically ask about a 2007 position. Even though they may have filled through the match last year, quite a few programs keep a spot or 2 for those who change their plans. If you really want to switch, send the CV and letter to every program in the country.

One more thing. When I was interviewing as an intern, I would change my day off to a post-post call day. I'd fly out post call, interview the following day and come home that night to show up back at work on my precall day. Very tiring, but definately doable if you can switch that day off.

Just want to update this thread....looking back at it I was really down...

But to change things up....I signed an out-of-match position for a PGY2 spot for anesthesia! So happy!!!!

For those people who want to switch.....in general if you are a US allo grad with step 1/2 ~220, you should not have any trouble finding a spot to match into, at a middle-upper tier program....I didn't. :) Just make sure to start EARLY....I started looking almost at the beginning of internship.

Also, please PM me if you are looking to switch into a PGY2 spot for IM at a relatively cush IM program with all the fellowships, nice benies, and close proximity to NYC.

Good luck to everyone else in the match.