Where’s the money at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greco13

PT, DPT, ECS, OCS, ATC
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
…for a PT with 1 year+ experience? Please refrain from any comments questioning my motive for going into the profession or treating a particular patient group. Let’s define money as anything that will help me reduce my student debt quickly e.g. salary, tuition reimbursement, other benefits. Consider location, specialty, whatever.

Federal? MILITARY (Army, Navy, Air Force) including active duty, reserve forces/national guard, civilian. INDIAN HEALTH SERVICES, DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS, U.S. PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE?

Skilled nursing facilities, home health, inpatient, acute care hospitals, outpatient, other?

Thank you for your replies!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen so far, Traveling PT seems to be the highest paid setting for a more recent grad, if he or she is able to move around the country every so often. Beyond that, I believe SNFs generally pay on the higher side, though I've heard that it is a difficult environment to work in. Also rural areas seem to pay more than urban areas. Any regular salaried position can also be supplemented with some per diem work for the extra cash, too.

According to my professors, the older your clients, the more money you make. It makes sense. Peds probably pays the least. You should work wherever you feel comfortable. SNFs aren't for everyone. If I were you, I would look for a position in an ALF, which pays well but doesn't have as much stress as a SNF. I'm just a student so I'm only telling you what I hear.

Kevin