Where do I get Lead Glasses??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Specialty hospitals...interesting! We were offered a buy in for a specialty hospital under construction and I blew it off....after your comments I will investigate further..

The case mix of insurers that pay a site of service differential is important, and there are signs this practice is increasing. Currently about 60% of my patients are site of service differential in which I take a beating if I perform the procedures in a hospital or ASC.

If you get any info on the expanded list of ASC codes, let us know. There are cases I would love to do in an ASC but cannot.

Members don't see this ad.

lobelsteve said:
In regards to post fluoro magnification, what units support this feature? I have not found it on OEC 9000-9400 or on Siemens Siremobil 2000.

The OEC's 9800 and 9900 have magnification. I believe the 9600 does as well. But the I don't think any of them is "post-fluoro".

Most of the new OECs have post image processing with zoom, although OEC 9800s come in many different models as do the 9900. I used a stripped down 9900 recently that had less capabilities than a9600.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excuse my ignorance. If magnification is a post-flouro feature than how does this increase the amt of flouro used? Isn't it just zooming in on the image that has already been shot?

Or is magnification and post-image processesing with zoom 2 separate features?

Substanz P said:
Excuse my ignorance. If magnification is a post-flouro feature than how does this increase the amt of flouro used? Isn't it just zooming in on the image that has already been shot?

Or is magnification and post-image processesing with zoom 2 separate features?

The latter.

Magnification is the process of enlarging the image on the monitor during a procedure. Zooming occurs without the use of any fluoro and is done only as a computer based enhancement (like in Photoshop).

The original post topic was leaded glasses to shield the eyes from X-ray injury... I guess they would provide some shielding, but don't forget that the x-rays are coming in from all sides and some will just go right through the top, sides, and back of your head will irradiate your lenses. It might even be that some that pass through from behind will strike the leaded glasses in front of your eyes and be scattered back into the lens...

A more sure protection would be to wear a leaded helmet or something that would shield the entire head.... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
A more sure protection would be to wear a leaded helmet or something that would shield the entire head.... :(

Like this ?

ht02525a.f2.jpeg

http://heart.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/89/10/1205

I guess they would provide some shielding, but don't forget that the x-rays are coming in from all sides and some will just go right through the top, sides, and back of your head will irradiate your lenses.

The great majority of the radiation exposure comes from the area where your beam crosses the patient. Backscatter from equipment and walls is fairly negligible in comparison (that is why an apron will typically do if you are the only one with the foot on the pedal). If you can put 0.5-0.75mm of lead equivalent between your lens and the radiation source, you will reduce the dose, no need to guess here.

Like this ?

Yes, exactly like that, although I note there are still some unprotected areas...

I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but the fact is that when you are in the x-ray room and the machine is running, x-rays are present from all directions...direct and scatter. There are good reasons that these rooms themselves shielded and there are laws that require dosimetry monitoring of all adjacent occupied rooms... The more personal shielding you wear, the better, even if it looks rediculous. Wearing leaded glasses will afford better protection than not wearing them, but even better protection will be afforded by shielding the rest of your head.

Nick

Would anybody care to recommend the ideal procedure room lead gear, specifically by brand and name if you've figured that out. Provide links if you would be so kind. You know, apron, glasses, face shield, etc etc

thanks.

In reply:

1. Aprons- .5mm lead equivalent. Frontal coverage only is borderline acceptable, but why not get a wrap around for all the reasons mentioned above. There are a dozen or more menufacturers. I'm young and strong, no prior back injury- I go for cheap and full length (heavier). The same protection can be had for more money and much less weight.

http://www.pnwx.com/Accessories/LeadProducts/Aprons/?Spec=Wrap
http://www.marshield.com/pages/fullwrapaprons.html
http://www.burmed.com/wraparound.html
http://radmart.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22&zenid=82484693fade1d9d57141dba1a4ffd76
http://x-rayme.com/lead_aprons.htm

2. Eye shields (goggles)- While many exist, I use Microlite Plus. They are lightweight, comfortable, and do not look like birth control goggles. I have worn them for 2 years without any issues. Antifog is included and is needed.

http://www.barrieronline.com/radiation/index.php

3. Thyroid shields- yes- your risk of thyroid cancer is increased if you do not shield here specifically. Look at all the sites above as if they sell aprons, they sell thyroid shields.

4. Lead plexiglass barriers- I have no experience using these but they would make good sense if they can be positioned to provide protection withou getting in the way. Downside is additional cost.

x-rays are present from all directions...direct and scatter.

And yes, even from above. There is allways radiation from space, you know. Yes, there is a small amount of radiation that will get you from backscatter, the largest exposure is for the operator is from the 'Bremsstrahlung' generated in the patient. Equipment leakage and backscatter from the walls etc is minimal.
There are good reasons that these rooms themselves shielded and there are laws that require dosimetry monitoring of all adjacent occupied rooms...

The room is shielded to protect surrounding areas. Not the operator.
The more personal shielding you wear, the better,

Actually, not necessarily. Any shielding worn into a direction you are not getting irradiated from is just dead weight possibly impairing your ability to safely (for you and the patient) do your procedure.
but even better protection will be afforded by shielding the rest of your head.

The rest of your head (outside of the lenses) is remarkably radiation resistant.

There was a bit of a scare in Canada (I believe Toronto) when 2 interventional cardiologists in the same town developed gliomas. And while they have some relation to ionizing radiation, it is generally not thought to be a sequelae of low-energy x-ray exposure.

The room is shielded to protect surrounding areas. Not the operator.

The rest of your head (outside of the lenses) is remarkably radiation resistant.

Re: room shielding...it's obvious that the purpose is to keep radiation from contaminating the areas outside the room. You're INSIDE the room. My point was that the room is full of x-radiation, direct and scatter, or as the Germans say, Bremstrallung... To be similarly protected as the outside is, you would need to be surrounded by shielding while you are in the room.

Re: the rest of your head besides your lenses being remarkably radiation resistant, my point was that you can be wearing leaded eyeglasses in front of your lenses, but there will be x-rays that can reach those lenses from above, below, to the sides, and behind the glasses you wear...

Nick

but there will be x-rays that can reach those lenses from above, below, to the sides, and behind the glasses you wear...
And my point was that the amount of backscatter from the walls is negligible when compared to the scatter from the patient. A set of leaded glasses and even more importantly leaded side-shields will take care of the most significant source.

The lead-caps where an idea to reduce dose to the meninges and brain, not necessarily to protect the lens (There is some data to support development of meningiomas and a weak association to suggest development of gliomas with ionizing radiation).

And my point was that the amount of backscatter from the walls is negligible when compared to the scatter from the patient. A set of leaded glasses and even more importantly leaded side-shields will take care of the most significant source.

The lead-caps where an idea to reduce dose to the meninges and brain, not necessarily to protect the lens (There is some data to support development of meningiomas and a weak association to suggest development of gliomas with ionizing radiation).

Sure. I'm not arguing any of what you say. The fact is that the glasses provide some protection but not complete protection.

There's no question that the glasses provide some protection, and it's better than not wearing them. We can sit here arguing wheter or not more protection is needed. More protection will be more cumbersome, no doubt about that. This is an individual decision. I've already made my decision, which is to wear a shielded cap for the head along with leaded goggles. You and others can make your own decisions...

Nick

Sure. I'm not arguing any of what you say. The fact is that the glasses provide some protection but not complete protection.

There's no question that the glasses provide some protection, and it's better than not wearing them. We can sit here arguing wheter or not more protection is needed. More protection will be more cumbersome, no doubt about that. This is an individual decision. I've already made my decision, which is to wear a shielded cap for the head along with leaded goggles. You and others can make your own decisions...

Nick

Post pictures so we can make fun of you until we get GBM's.:laugh:

Mhh, that still leaves your shins and feet exposed. Ever considered one of these ?

Cool! But where are the O2 tanks? It doesn't look quite cumbersome enough to be really effective! After all, you don't want to be breathing in all that contaminated air in the x-ray suite!:laugh:

Nick

I purchased some lead glasses that are awsome from radmart.com. Hope this helps!

Lead glasses

competitive prices compared to the other links

Last edited: