Where do her clients come from!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikibah

MSW student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm joining the ranks of social workers and am fully aware of the fact that it is not a career where you should expect to make big money. However, I was recently talking to a friend of mine who was telling me her problems and how she was trying to get on the waiting list to see and lcsw in my city. After I expressed my surprise that there are lcsw's with waiting lists she told me "not only that but she charges over 150 an hour". I got her name but can't find ANY information on her besides for the fact that she is an lcsw specializing in anxiety and depression (sometimes couples therapy). She has no website, and definitely works by herself with NO employees. Does anyone have any idea how she might be getting her clients? I've never seen any ads anywhere and I can't imagine she's getting that many referrals from MD's.
Anyone have any ideas where her source of clientele might be coming from?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on where she networks and/or advertises.

I work at an agency where the two cofounders (LMFT and LCSW) charge $225/session and even the other licensed therapists still run at $150/session. They're booked solid and it's hard as hell to schedule new clients.

Word of mouth. Referrals from existing clients. Other therapists. Profiles from online therapy resources. Distributing business cards at medical offices or other relevant areas. Networking events. Use your imagination.

word of mouth, might be in with some doctors or other therapists in town. maybe she puts a card at the local rotary club...who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of networking, building a reputation, and some luck as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm joining the ranks of social workers and am fully aware of the fact that it is not a career where you should expect to make big money. However, I was recently talking to a friend of mine who was telling me her problems and how she was trying to get on the waiting list to see and lcsw in my city. After I expressed my surprise that there are lcsw's with waiting lists she told me "not only that but she charges over 150 an hour". I got her name but can't find ANY information on her besides for the fact that she is an lcsw specializing in anxiety and depression (sometimes couples therapy). She has no website, and definitely works by herself with NO employees. Does anyone have any idea how she might be getting her clients? I've never seen any ads anywhere and I can't imagine she's getting that many referrals from MD's.
Anyone have any ideas where her source of clientele might be coming from?
Insurance panels and WOM.