Where did I match? 2017 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted each year. Best of luck to all!

Just another day now..:scared:

Let us know today where you're going to spend the next 3 years.

One note that I always make about this day....As you open your envelope and see that you won the match day lottery, please remember to be humble about your accomplishments and where you matched. Brag to your mom and dad and your significant other. Give your dog a piece of your steak dinner. Drink a few glasses of cheap wine. But remember that some of your classmates, even those who matched in their top "whatever", will be disappointed that they didn't get their #1 or another of their top few choice(s). It's a crummy feeling and they have a right to be upset for not achieving a personal goal.

Wherever you matched, the overwhelming likelihood is that you'll do well and be happy there. I matched at my #3, not a place in the top rankings, and lived to tell the tale of a great experience there. Several folks who were residents in my years are now department chairs in academic institutions. No one ever will ask when you are an attending where you matched on your ROL. Actually, they'll say - "yeah, that's a great place", wherever it was.

Welcome to residency, let the match day festivities begin. Always remember it is a privilege to care for children and advocate for them. Now more than ever we need to stand up for immunizations, child nutrition, honorable immigration policies, etc, etc. You are soon to be a part of a wonderful group of doctors who have dedicated their lives to this task and I am grateful that you have done so. Join the AAP - they are the voice of children we have as physicians and do a wonderful job of supporting us and children's rights.

Meanwhile, tell us where you matched?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
As someone who matched at my #4 spot (that I love and can't imagine being anywhere else), I do want to echo what OBP says above. I had multiple people coming up to me in the days after match day saying how our class in general got great matches, and how everyone matched into one of their top 3 spots. I felt like a failure and it took me some time before I actually got excited about my match. Don't be that person.

And there were people who did have to SOAP, so there's that too...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Med-Peds, so I'm half in this thread, but University of Nebraska (or Nebraska-Creighton for the Peds side)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
St. Christopher's in Philadelphia!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'll start off the categorical people...

Very excited to be at Texas Children's for at least the next 3 years!

Can't wait to see where everyone matched and who I will be with in Houston!

I'll start off the categorical people...

Very excited to be at Texas Children's for at least the next 3 years!

Can't wait to see where everyone matched and who I will be with in Houston!

One of my Chiefs this year will be an ED fellow there, and one will be a Oncology hospitalist working on the nonresident team.

Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
IU/Riley in Indianapolis! My top choice!!! We get to go home!!!

Staying in Little Rock at UAMS/Arkansas Children's Hospital! I was in the NICU there as a baby so I'm admittedly sentimentally attached and couldn't be happier. :woot:

Reactions: 7 users
Children's National Medical Center in DC :)!!

Any future co-residents around?

Posted each year. Best of luck to all!

Just another day now..:scared:

Let us know today where you're going to spend the next 3 years.

One note that I always make about this day....As you open your envelope and see that you won the match day lottery, please remember to be humble about your accomplishments and where you matched. Brag to your mom and dad and your significant other. Give your dog a piece of your steak dinner. Drink a few glasses of cheap wine. But remember that some of your classmates, even those who matched in their top "whatever", will be disappointed that they didn't get their #1 or another of their top few choice(s). It's a crummy feeling and they have a right to be upset for not achieving a personal goal.

Wherever you matched, the overwhelming likelihood is that you'll do well and be happy there. I matched at my #3, not a place in the top rankings, and lived to tell the tale of a great experience there. Several folks who were residents in my years are now department chairs in academic institutions. No one ever will ask when you are an attending where you matched on your ROL. Actually, they'll say - "yeah, that's a great place", wherever it was.

Welcome to residency, let the match day festivities begin. Always remember it is a privilege to care for children and advocate for them. Now more than ever we need to stand up for immunizations, child nutrition, honorable immigration policies, etc, etc. You are soon to be a part of a wonderful group of doctors who have dedicated their lives to this task and I am grateful that you have done so. Join the AAP - they are the voice of children we have as physicians and do a wonderful job of supporting us and children's rights.

Meanwhile, tell us where you matched?[/QUOTE....