Fellowship match data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m not surprised given recent trends, although I wonder if more fellowship programs/positions (esp in PICU/PEM/PHM) will be created as a result of this year. Do you think virtual interviews play a role at all (i.e. people hogging interviews leading to others not getting enough, or virtual interviewing just being subpar ways to meet applicants in general)?
I expected it to be brutal.. but man. Can’t imagine what it’s like for those who didn’t match, there must be some great pediatricians out there who have to either wait another year or change their career path.

I’m not surprised given recent trends, although I wonder if more fellowship programs/positions (esp in PICU/PEM/PHM) will be created as a result of this year. Do you think virtual interviews play a role at all (i.e. people hogging interviews leading to others not getting enough, or virtual interviewing just being subpar ways to meet applicants in general)?
I expected it to be brutal.. but man. Can’t imagine what it’s like for those who didn’t match, there must be some great pediatricians out there who have to either wait another year or change their career path.

I mean, the charts Dr. Carmody put together are basically inverse of each other--the programs with the highest fill rates had the lowest match rates. So I don't think virtual interviewing influenced much--I think there's just more demand for those specialties than there are positions available.
()

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Comments? Thoughts? Some very competitive fields this year (PICU, EM) and the usual non-competitive (endo, ID).
Less competitive for PICU this year compared to last because like 20 new spots opened up from 8 new programs. There won’t be jobs for those new jobs for those spots in 3 years but what does that matter to programs because reasons and cheap labor. But at least they’ll have wasted 18 months on a scholarly activity that will yield nothing. Huzzah.

I don’t know if this is true for PEM (and it’s not true for PHM… yet) but PICU is generating a lot of fellows for no jobs. I don’t know why, but the field needs to come to a reckoning.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Agree with mvenus, there are just more applicants than spots in the more competitive fields.

Less competitive for PICU this year compared to last because like 20 new spots opened up from 8 new programs. There won’t be jobs for those new jobs for those spots in 3 years but what does that matter to programs because reasons and cheap labor. But at least they’ll have wasted 18 months on a scholarly activity that will yield nothing. Huzzah.

I don’t know if this is true for PEM (and it’s not true for PHM… yet) but PICU is generating a lot of fellows for no jobs. I don’t know why, but the field needs to come to a reckoning.

Any idea what proportion of PICU grads each year are able to find a PICU job? And is this being addressed at all at the leadership level?

Any idea what proportion of PICU grads each year are able to find a PICU job? And is this being addressed at all at the leadership level?
I can't find the article but there was a recent article in some throw away journal (probably because no one wanted to publicize it) but the number of job postings on the PedSCCM.org website was vastly smaller than the number of annual graduating 3rd year fellows. There was also another publication in the same journal that the availability of jobs was directly related to the number of publications (realizing that PICU is not a high publication nor rigorously academic field... ie, the faculty that oversaw fellows did not have the same competitive market when they were in training and had no idea to enhance fellow productivity for future job prospects).

As to your second point... given the above and the fact then from 2020 to 2021, 7 or 8 new programs opened up... the answer is a hilarious "hell no".

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. That’s terrifying and sad, can’t imagine finishing a fellowship and then not being able to find ANY job in the field

I can't find the article but there was a recent article in some throw away journal (probably because no one wanted to publicize it) but the number of job postings on the PedSCCM.org website was vastly smaller than the number of annual graduating 3rd year fellows. There was also another publication in the same journal that the availability of jobs was directly related to the number of publications (realizing that PICU is not a high publication nor rigorously academic field... ie, the faculty that oversaw fellows did not have the same competitive market when they were in training and had no idea to enhance fellow productivity for future job prospects).

As to your second point... given the above and the fact then from 2020 to 2021, 7 or 8 new programs opened up... the answer is a hilarious "hell no".
Found the articles...
The number of advertised opportunities identified was low compared with number of fellows likely to be seeking jobs during same time period. If market demand remains stable, there is risk of excess supply if number of newly fellowship-trained PCCM physicians continues to rise.
Hint: supply is already in excess

Large programs with higher academic metrics train physicians with greater publication success (H index 3 [IQR: 1–7] vs. 2 [IQR: 0–6]; p < 0.001) and greater likelihood of working in large academic centers. These associations may guide prospective trainees as they choose training programs that may foster their career values.
Hint: publications = job prospects. Also if the median faculty H index is 3... that's still quite low.

Last edited:
Found the articles...

Hint: supply is already low

Hint: publications = job prospects. Also if the median faculty H index is 3... that's still quite low.
Jeez, looks like unless you’re at a top academic PICU program or pumping out high-impact pubs (which is more feasible at a large academic institution), you’re sorta screwed in the PICU job market.

I wonder, are job opportunities better for NICU? Or cards? I considered PICU before, but have been slowly leaning more towards NICU or cards based on this.

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. That’s terrifying and sad, can’t imagine finishing a fellowship and then not being able to find ANY job in the field
I agree. But at the same time, it's not really surprising to me as I've been in the game a decade plus and can easily see the writing on the wall. But the people who make programmatic decisions regarding training in the PICU are of the same mindset as the folks that brought you the PHM fellowship mind you.

I actually asked the PD of our PICU fellowship program (who is several years junior to me... ie I was an attending when they were a resident) about this at amongst other PDs and at the national level. Their response to me was "Well... programs like cheap labor". Whomp whomp.

Jeez, looks like unless you’re at a top academic PICU program or pumping out high-impact pubs (which is more feasible at a large academic institution), you’re sorta screwed in the PICU job market.

I wonder, are job opportunities better for NICU? Or cards? I considered PICU before, but have been slowly leaning more towards NICU or cards based on this.
There are more private practice gigs for both NICU and Cards. I can't speak to the specifics, but I would assume based on the higher number of private practice jobs, that the job market is better. How much better? Others could probably answer that on here better than I.

It can be a bit difficult to assess the NICU job market as there is still a gradual increase in the number of delivery hospitals wanting to hire neonatologists to staff them and gradually build up their acuity. My general take is that there is reasonable balance in the number of jobs vs graduates, but that academic (research academic, not community) are hard to get unless your home program has a spot or you're a research star and that some popular cities are pretty full and challenging to break into. Others closer to the job market might comment.

There are more private practice gigs for both NICU and Cards. I can't speak to the specifics, but I would assume based on the higher number of private practice jobs, that the job market is better. How much better? Others could probably answer that on here better than I.
I would think there should be cause for concern when a company on Wall Street owns 40+% of “private practice” NICU jobs

• Hmm
Which company is that... Mednax? Yeah, that stock is a dog.
Yeah I just mean if Anesthesia is any example there will be a long slow push toward the use of more NPs and the minimum number of docs needed to cover liability... not that that’s necessarily any different from anywhere else.

Applied to PEM last year, didn't match after interviewing in and ranking 6 programs.

Took on the Chief Resident job at my home program this after working per diem for a year all over the place last year, reapplied to both PEM and first time to PHM, went on 18 interviews (12 PHM and 6 PEM), ranked them all, STILL didn't match.

True gut punch.

• Care