where can you go from peds??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhug

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After the birth of triplets i am once again very interested in peds! it has always been my first thougth as far as occupation and i would be really happy as a peds doc-- but i am also really interested in sub-specializing. What sub-specialties can you do from a peds residency??
Neonatology--(my kids were in the nicu for 6 weeks) is the only one i can think of but i know there have to be more.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh wow, great question...

Following a peds residency:

1. Neonatology
2. Pediatric Critical Care
3. Pediatric Emergency Medicine
4. Peds Cardiology
5. Peds Pulmonology
6. Peds GI
7. Peds Nephrology
8. Adolescent Medicine
9. Peds Immunology
10. Peds Hem/Onc
11. Peds Endocrinology
12. Peds Genetics
13. Peds Infectious Disease

Other Subspecialties:
14. Peds Ortho
15. Peds Surgery
16. Peds Anesthesiology
17. Peds Neurology

I'm drawing a blank on any others. Anyone else?

gator5-- you are great!!! that is exactly what i was looking/hoping to see. I need to dig in and really get a feel for a few of these that appeal. Are you in peds or just overwhelmingly resourceful??

Members don't see this ad :)
There is also a new fellowship for pediatricians interested in practicing hospital based medicine. Only a few programs offer it in the north-east, not sure about other areas. This should be a hot fellowship since the role of the hosptilist is expanding.

You can also do a fellowship in general academic pediatrics if you want to do general peds in practice and do clinical or health services research.

I think you can also do a peds rheumatology fellowship (studying JRA, juvenile lupus, etc).

one more foolish question-- if i do decide on peds and subspecializing, AND if i have a nhsc scholarship-- do i have to do the peds rotation, serve out the time required in the scholarship, and then return to finish the sub-specialty??

You can also do a fellowship in developemental disabilities. Hopefully someday a residency in delepopmental peds.

thanks a lot for your help, it was so interesting :love: