Where can I learn some veterinary anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothpickwars

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
CA3 in the NE, would love to spend a few weeks at a zoo or other animal hospital and see how anesthesia varies among species. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My previous job had a veterinary anesthesiology residency in the veterinary school. I had the opportunity to help out on a sick great ape. Check w your vet school

My previous job had a veterinary anesthesiology residency in the veterinary school. I had the opportunity to help out on a sick great ape. Check w your vet school
No vet school associated, any contacts at your old place you can PM me?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear you just turn off the anesthesia, run away, and let the gorilla rip the tube out when its ready.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are attached to a university, often there is some animal research. That’s one avenue. A lot of the medications are the same, just with generic knock off brand names. Propoflo, for example, and Dexdomidor or something like that. A lot like buying soft drinks from K mart in the 90s, Dr. Smooth, Whirl Up, etc. the exception that I’ve seen being alphaxalone, which is a steroid medication which seems to bind to GABAergic channels in cats, maybe dogs too, or rabbits, but seems to be most often used in small animals. The volatile I’ve seen used was exclusively isoflurane. They used concentrations I usually think of as being around MAC BAR in humans. I never saw any neuromuscular blocker.

. Propoflo, for example, and Dexdomidor or something like that.
Yeah, those sound about right. I believe I saw them one aisle over from the horse dewormer which I was definitely buying because I definitely have a friend whose horse is definitely in need of deworming.

• Haha
Yeah, those sound about right. I believe I saw them one aisle over from the horse dewormer which I was definitely buying because I definitely have a friend whose horse is definitely in need of deworming.
Sure. Probably could pick up some fish tank cleaner the next aisle over. A lot of times, it seems like if you have wormy horses you’ve got… dirty fish tanks too.

In all seriousness, although I’ve never seen them used, there are some ketamine analogues used in veterinary medicine that might be used in humans some day. I think alphaxalone was tried in humans, but people found it unpleasant.

Sure. Probably could pick up some fish tank cleaner the next aisle over. A lot of times, it seems like if you have wormy horses you’ve got… dirty fish tanks too.

In all seriousness, although I’ve never seen them used, there are some ketamine analogues used in veterinary medicine that might be used in humans some day. I think alphaxalone was tried in humans, but people found it unpleasant.

One of our elderly horses recently had some tooth extractions. The vet gave him ketamine 100mg IV prior to giving him maxillary nerve blocks which was the primary anesthetic. He didn’t even flinch during the injection.

Also there’s this old thread.

Many years ago there was an anesthesia listserv called gasnet. Pauline Wong, a veterinary anesthesiologist from UC Davis was an active contributor. But it is no longer active.

If you do an away rotation in Alabama or Mississippi you can probably get some experience anesthetizing hippopotamuses.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I especially enjoyed meeting the cousin-wife on a somewhat frequent basis.

Reminds me of a joke told to me by one of our nurses who is from Kentucky.

“Why is it so hard to be a forensic pathologist in Kentucky?”

“Because there are no dental records and all the DNA is the same.”

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Reminds me of a joke told to me by one of our nurses who is from Kentucky.

“Why is it so hard to be a forensic pathologist in Kentucky?”

“Because there are no dental records and all the DNA is the same.”
How can you tell the toothbrush was invented in Kentucky.

If it was invented anywhere else, they would have called it a TEETHbrush.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users