Where can I get a pen light for the CS exam? Is it provided?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saladin MD

EM Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am bringing a white lab coat (with someone else's name written on it though!!!), a hammer with a sharp point on its other end (for pin prick sensation), a stethoscope, and now looking for a pen light...Where can I get one? Anyone know? Does a place like Walmart carry them?

Anything else I need to bring which I am forgetting?

Members don't see this ad.

You're actually only allowed to bring a stethescope only. All of the other tools will be supplied. As far as the light source, each room will have an otoscope/ophthalmoscope on the wall that you can use for the eye exam.

You're actually only allowed to bring a stethescope only. All of the other tools will be supplied. As far as the light source, each room will have an otoscope/ophthalmoscope on the wall that you can use for the eye exam.

Ahhh thanks so much. Saved me a bunch of hassle.

What about a lab coat? Do we have to wear one? And is a tie "mandatory"?

Ahhh thanks so much. Saved me a bunch of hassle.

What about a lab coat? Do we have to wear one? And is a tie "mandatory"?

You do have to wear a lab coat. They will provide you one if you forget yours, but it's better to bring your own. I don't know if a tie is "mandatory" or not, but all the men at my exam session were wearing one, so it's probably a good idea.